Recipe & Video Philly Cheese Steak - From My Aussie Kitchen

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
7:12 PM
My first time making and eating these, so taste wise didn't really have a reference point. But was very happy after my first bite!!

Ingredients

500gms rib eye fillet sliced thinly
9 thin slices provolone cheese
3 crusty sourdough rolls
1 large brown onion chopped
1 green capsicum (bell pepper) cut in to thin 1 inch strips
200gms small white mushrooms sliced
2 tbsp butter
4 cloves garlic (grated)
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
mayonnaise of choice (I used wasabi flavoured kewpie)

Metdod

Fry onion, capsicum, and mushrooms in a little oil until softened and coloured. Remove from fry pan. Add a little more oil and fry steak on a higher heat for only a minute or two till coloured, seasoning as you go. Meanwhile mix garlic with butter and spread over the inside surfaces of your split open rolls, and grill under the grill (broiler) till nicely toasted. When steak is done, mix onion, capsicum, and mushrooms back in till reheated, then turn off the heat. Place a single layer of cheese over the top and when cheese nicely melted through, place generous portions of steak/cheese mix over each divided roll. Top with mayo or sauce of choice, and close bun/roll to enjoy eating with your hand(s).

Video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLkw43dN4Ow

Last edited:
murphyscreek, nice sandwich. You got the basics down. Thin sliced ribeye, provolone is one of the authentic cheeses used, and is my favorite cheese for a cheesesteak. Grilled onions and bell peppers --check. The bread looks good -- you can't get authentic Amaroso's bread outside of PA and NJ unless you pay a fortune to order online.

There are a few things you could have left off for more Philadelphia authenticity. The garlic butter, mushrooms and mayo were not necessary.

Nice sammich! I'd eat that!

CD

murphyscreek, nice sandwich. You got the basics down. Thin sliced ribeye, provolone is one of the authentic cheeses used, and is my favorite cheese for a cheesesteak. Grilled onions and bell peppers --check. The bread looks good -- you can't get authentic Amaroso's bread outside of PA and NJ unless you pay a fortune to order online.

There are a few things you could have left off for more Philadelphia authenticity. The garlic butter, mushrooms and mayo were not necessary.

Nice sammich! I'd eat that!

CD

Cheers mate. Appreciate the feedback... was worried about the bread as I have no idea what "hoagie" bread is. I saw the garlic idea on one recipe I read and liked the sound of it, though I did suspect it wasn't part of an authentic version.

Cheers mate. Appreciate the feedback... was worried about the bread as I have no idea what "hoagie" bread is. I saw the garlic idea on one recipe I read and liked the sound of it, though I did suspect it wasn't part of an authentic version.

Your bread looks good. It looks pretty much like a Hoagie Roll. Probably tastes close enough.

Unknown-3.jpeg

CD

Back
Top Bottom