JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:43 PM

This recipe combines the classic flavors of a Philly cheesesteak sandwich with a Tex-Mex style breakfast burrito. I minced tender strip loin steak that had previously been marinated with soy, minced garlic, and pepper then grilled, along with sauteed jalapeño peppers, red, orange and yellow bell peppers, mushrooms, red onion, and roasted garlic, and melted provolone cheese, then scrambled eggs combined in a flour tortilla wrap. The jalapeños add a nice kick, but if you don't like the heat, that can be omitted. The use of heavy cream and sour cream in the scramble eggs makes for tender, fluffy eggs that fuse well with the other ingredients. Enjoy!

This recipe makes 3-4 burritos (using 10" flour tortillas).

Ingredients for steak and peppers mixture:
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
8 ounces of diced peppers (I chose jalapeño and mini bell peppers)
1/2 small onion, diced
4 ounces of diced mushrooms
Approximately 1/3 bulb of roasted garlic cloves
3-4 ounces shreddd provolone cheese
8 ounces of minced previously cooked/grilled steak to medium or medium-rare (I used strip loin, but ribeye or another cut would work quite well)
1 tsp soy sauce (optional)

Ingredients for scrambled eggs:
1 TBSP butter
5 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sour cream
2 TBSP heavy cream
1 ounce shredded provolone cheese

Additionaly you will need a package of flour tortillas (I used 10").

Preparation method:

Steak mixture: In a medium sized skillet, melt 1 TBSP butter and add the EVOO. Sweat the peppers for approximately 2 minutes on medium heat, then add the onion and continue cooking for another minute. Add the mushrooms and sautee until they turn a light golden brown. Cover with a lid and set aside (do not add the steak, soy, or garlic just yet).

Egg mixture: In a medium size bowl, mix the eggs, cream, salt, and sour cream and whisk until well blended. Melt the butter in the skillet on a medium-low heat and stir occasionally until just undercooked. Turn off the burner and lightly blend the provolone cheese, then cover with a lid to stay warm and to keep the eggs from drying out.

Warm the pepper mixture in the pan on low heat. Add the steak, roasted garlic, soy sauce, and provolone cheese to the mixture and fold in just until warm and well blended.

Warm the tortillas on a serving plate in a microwave (if you have one) for approximately 20 seconds. Otherwise you can warm them briefly in the oven at a medium temperature (300F/150C) with the tortillas wrapped in foil, or even in a skillet on the stovetop on low heat, but be careful as the stovetop method can make the tortillas dry and crispy instead of soft and pliable.

Add the egg mixture and spread evenly on the bottom center of the tortilla(s), then top with a generous portion of the steak mixture. Roll up the burrito and enjoy!

Notes: Be sure not to overheat the steak so that the texture of the meat remains tender. Also, salsa, cilantro or minced green onion can be added as a topping, but I felt that it would make the burrito lean heavier towards the Tex-Mex side and I wanted to stay true to the more traditional Philadelphia cheesesteak flavors.

I will be making this again, for those of you who want to give it a go, I hope you love it as much as I did!

Back
Top Bottom