Zest and juice of 1 lemon​
3 teaspoons dried dill​
3 teaspoons dill seeds​
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds​
1 teaspoon paprika/bell pepper powder​
~1/4 teaspoon white pepper (to taste)​
Lime segments and fresh dill for garnish​

Preparation

Set the oven on to 200°C. Rinse, brush and pat dry the unpeeled black salsifies. Coat a long oven dish (e.g. a fish plate) with coarse salt, place the salsifies on top and cover with rest of the salt. Cook in the oven for ~45-60 minutes (I cooked them for 1,5 hours which was a bit too much). Grate the lemon zest and squeeze the juice. Mix the marinade. Let the salsifies cool slightly, halve them and scrape the flesh with a spoon; try to get long slivers. Drop the bits and pieces into the marinade and let them become spiced for ~10 minutes. Pick the bits on a plate and garnish with fresh dill and lime. Serve with cooked potatoes or rustic bread and vegan spread.

sals_1.jpg

sals_4.jpg

Last edited:
I love it when something on this forum opens my eyes to something new. I had seriously never heard of salsify until this post, so thank you for that. It looks like it can be shipped, or grown (as MrsDangermouse said), though I will have to wait for springtime to do that.

The variety we grow is actually scorzonera, but its virtually the same as salsify and you cook it in exactly the same way. Its planted from seed in April or May and according to some sources is at its best after 2 years. Though we harvest some of our's a month or so ago and it was delicious, if a little skinny.

The variety we grow is actually scorzonera, but its virtually the same as salsify and you cook it in exactly the same way. Its planted from seed in April or May and according to some sources is at its best after 2 years. Though we harvest some of our's a month or so ago and it was delicious, if a little skinny.

I will get some seeds to plant next year. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom