The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:19 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
8CD6003D-7121-4000-82BC-A6EC48908C1C.jpeg

There's pineapple in this chutney. Mango, too. No, really. Check the recipe below if you don't believe it. The darker hues are due to other ingredients, particularly the tamarind paste. There's a lot going on here...maybe too much. You may also notice some improvisation in the brown sugar. But, I like the result. The tamarind combined with the pineapple gives it a hint of barbecue sauce.

Ingredients

1 large mango, peeled and cut in chunks
pineapple, about the same volume as the mango, cut in chunks
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1⁄2 cup raisins
1 garlic clove, peeled and grated
1 jalapeno pepper, cut in chunks
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 lemon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

1. Roast cumin and coriander seeds in a pan on medium heat, stirring frequently for at least a minute, until fragrant. Grind to a powder and use in the next step.

9110BDEA-C65E-4BC7-B6E8-91C3515FA426.jpeg

2. Place all ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently to keep from sticking.

1CEDDE1C-D82E-4F12-9696-FB831D0E436D.jpeg

3. Serve with poppadum bread. If desired, find the package of uncooked poppadum bread you forgot you had in your cabinet, and heat whatever you can find that's a somewhat large fragment. Brush with oil, heat per instructions, then regret adding the oil later.

2EBB5F36-6902-41D6-B261-BB27524483E1.jpeg

AFD60581-6A7F-4324-8CED-6FB1F437E144.jpeg

4. If you have a chunk of mango that you used when making gin, put it in the bowl with the chutney. Try it with the chutney, then regret doing that, too.

Right up my street, this recipe.
The papadums in your photo, incidentally, are the best in the world for me. After years of trying to fry them or oil them (all miserable failures) I now turn up the grill(broiler) to max, pop the pappadums on the rack and then watch them bubble up in less than 30 seconds.

Right up my street, this recipe.
The papadums in your photo, incidentally, are the best in the world for me. After years of trying to fry them or oil them (all miserable failures) I now turn up the grill(broiler) to max, pop the pappadums on the rack and then watch them bubble up in less than 30 seconds.

You can microwave them too... a few seconds. My favourite brand too.

View attachment 102397

There's pineapple in this chutney. Mango, too. No, really. Check the recipe below if you don't believe it. The darker hues are due to other ingredients, particularly the tamarind paste. There's a lot going on here...maybe too much. You may also notice some improvisation in the brown sugar. But, I like the result. The tamarind combined with the pineapple gives it a hint of barbecue sauce.

Ingredients

1 large mango, peeled and cut in chunks
pineapple, about the same volume as the mango, cut in chunks
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1⁄2 cup raisins
1 garlic clove, peeled and grated
1 jalapeno pepper, cut in chunks
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 lemon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

1. Roast cumin and coriander seeds in a pan on medium heat, stirring frequently for at least a minute, until fragrant. Grind to a powder and use in the next step.

View attachment 102401

2. Place all ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently to keep from sticking.

View attachment 102402

3. Serve with poppadum bread. If desired, find the package of uncooked poppadum bread you forgot you had in your cabinet, and heat whatever you can find that's a somewhat large fragment. Brush with oil, heat per instructions, then regret adding the oil later.

View attachment 102399
View attachment 102398

4. If you have a chunk of mango that you used when making gin, put it in the bowl with the chutney. Try it with the chutney, then regret doing that, too.

Yeah! I like this and I totally understand the use of pineapple with tamarind paste.

Back
Top Bottom