Recipe Pink Grapefruit and Raspberry Upside-Down Cake

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:42 PM
Encouraged by the Retro Pineapple Upside-Down Cake I thought I'd explore other possibilities. This is a cake for grown-ups. Its bitter sweet!

IMGP0292.jpg

Photographed two days ago in natural light

Ingredients

For the topping:
1 x Pink grapefruit, sliced thinly and peeled*
11 Raspberries (or enough to fill the gaps). I used frozen.
50g softened butter
2 Tbsp caster sugar (or use brown sugar for a more caramelised finish).
For the cake:
100g SR flour
100g caster sugar
100g softened butter or margarine
2 medium eggs
To decorate (optional):
Julienne slices of grapefruit peel cooked in a little sugar syrup until glistening and soft.

Method
  • Heat oven to 180C.
  • Cover the bottom of an 8 inch non-stick baking tin with the butter and sprinkle over the 2 Tbsp sugar.
  • Position the grapefruit slices on top and place and stud any gaps with raspberries.
  • Beat together the cake ingredients to form a soft batter and pour it over the grapefruit and raspberries.
  • Bake for 25 mins or until cooked through when tested with a cocktail stick.
  • Place a plate over the cake and invert.
* Easiest way to prep the grapefruit is to slice it with skin on and then trim off the rind with a sharp knife.

Well that is an interesting looking cake. When it gets in season, I would like to try making somehting with rhubarb if I can find some. I haven't had rhubarb in years. However, I just bought some red raspberries last week, they were delicious. I really thought they were awesome. They are my favorite berry by far! I never tried them in a cake though.

Well that is an interesting looking cake. When it gets in season, I would like to try making somehting with rhubarb if I can find some. I haven't had rhubarb in years. However, I just bought some red raspberries last week, they were delicious. I really thought they were awesome. They are my favorite berry by far! I never tried them in a cake though.
I just bought some rhubarb as its just come into season here. So I'm now wondering what to do with it...
You could make this cake using just raspberries. The colour is wonderful when they are cooked!

I'm not the biggest fan of grapefruit myself (I think it is just that bitter tartness that does it for me!) but I adore the look of this cake. So pretty! Are there any other fruits you'd suggest that would be good to try in a cake like that? I'm trying to think of different variations...

I'm not the biggest fan of grapefruit myself (I think it is just that bitter tartness that does it for me!) but I adore the look of this cake. So pretty! Are there any other fruits you'd suggest that would be good to try in a cake like that? I'm trying to think of different variations...
You could use oranges rather than grapefruit. But you know, almost any fruits can be used in upside-down cakes. The thing is, that it is really more of a dessert than a cake and could be served with a little cream to pour. It produces a 'moist' cake. The thing about using raspberries is that they produce such a gorgeous colour.

Last edited:
Wow this is an interesting cake and one that I would definitely like to try. I love grapefruit and raspberries and to combine the two of them in one cake would be heaven. It would be nice and tart which I love. I also like the look of it! Oh I have got to make this!!

I probably won't ever try this but I do like bitter sweet - actually I think it's my life so I'd definitely want to have a taste. When I graduate in the baking department, MAYBE I'll try this.

I probably won't ever try this but I do like bitter sweet - actually I think it's my life so I'd definitely want to have a taste. When I graduate in the baking department, MAYBE I'll try this.
Well, you know, I think upside-down cakes have to be the easiest 'visually interesting' cakes to make. I'm sure you could do it. Just beat all the cake ingredients together and pour over fruit of your choice. Honestly, @winterybella - its easy! If I were teaching a child how to make a cake I reckon I would start with an upside-down cake. I love your comment about bitter sweet. I feel a bit the same!

Back
Top Bottom