Recipe Pink stir-fried rice

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:24 PM
Is this cheating for The CookingBites Recipe Challenge? This is pink rice and it gets that way because its cooked in the water in which red cabbage has been cooked. I landed on the idea after a happy few hours messing around with red cabbages. I suppose I really should have included shredded red cabbage in the dish but I was feeling perverse and thought it had served its purpose.
DSCF2590.jpg

Photographed today in natural light. At last I found a use for that gorgeous Italian plate.

Ingredients
For the pink rice:
Water left over from boiling red cabbage (you need to add a splash of vinegar to the water when boiling red cabbage, otherwise it will turn blue)
White basmati rice

For the stir-fry:
Spring onions (scallions) slice diagonally
Cooked chicken pieces
Finely chopped red chilli
Small pieces of yellow bell pepper
Finely chopped garlic
Fish sauce or lime juice
Light soy sauce
Vegetable oil

For the topping:
A thin omelette, rolled up and cut into slices
Segments of lime to squeeze over

Method
  • Boil the rice in the red cabbage water using whatever method you use normally. I use the absorption method (double volume of liquid compared to rice). Allow to cool and make sure the rice is dried out with well separated grains.
  • Heat oil until hot in a wok or non-stick frying pan. Add garlic and fry for a few minutes.
  • Add spring onion, chicken pieces, yellow pepper and chilli and stir-fry for a minute.
  • Add the pink rice and stir-fry until heated through.
  • Season with fish sauce (or lime juice) and light soy sauce.
  • Serve with strips of omelette on top and lime to squeeze over.
DSCF2609.jpg

Last edited:
It is a fun way to add some colour to the plate :) You could also use water from cooking beetroots. The recipe looks nice and would be tasty if the rice was white too.

Back
Top Bottom