Piri piri sauce experience help needed

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:49 PM
I know I can giggle but any one have any experience or tips on making it. It comes up quite a bit lately. Watching rick last night he said it originally came from Mozambique. It's Swahili and means peppe pepper.
Any recipes or tips appreciated.

Russ

I know I can giggle but any one have any experience or tips on making it. It comes up quite a bit lately. Watching rick last night he said it originally came from Mozambique. It's Swahili and means peppe pepper.
Any recipes or tips appreciated.

Russ
No tips, but here's the recipe I have saved to make one of these days:

Piri Piri chicken - Recipes - Hairy Bikers

It's on your link. Looks amazing.

Russ
I only first heard about from that episode of Hairy Bikers. They were being very coy about not mentioning a particular chain restaurant in the UK, known for the dish, and kept hinting at the name of the chicken dish as well, building suspense, and when they finally revealed, "That's right, folks, we'll be making everyone's favorite chicken dish the world over...PIRI PIRI CHICKEN!!!", my reaction, after all that build-up was..."WTF is piri piri chicken?!" 🤷🏻‍♂️:laugh:

I only first heard about from that episode of Hairy Bikers. They were being very coy about not mentioning a particular chain restaurant in the UK, known for the dish, and kept hinting at the name of the chicken dish as well, building suspense, and when they finally revealed, "That's right, folks, we'll be making everyone's favorite chicken dish the world over...PIRI PIRI CHICKEN!!!", my reaction, after all that build-up was..."WTF is piri piri chicken?!" 🤷🏻‍♂️:laugh:

Yep - Nando's special:

1624712110051.png

Ingredients​

Water, Distilled Vinegar, Lemon Puree (6%), Onion Puree (6%), Salt, Spices (Cayenne Pepper, African Bird's Eye Chilli, Paprika), Green Chilli, Sunflower Seed Oil, Garlic Puree, Stabilisers (Xanthan Gum, Propylene Glycol Alginate), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Rosemary Extract

Piri piri is common here in Portugal, but it's basically an umbrella term used for a spicy sauce made with chili peppers. The easiest ones are basically chili peppers marinated in a strong alcohol. My grandparents, who lived in Mozambique, always had homemade piri piri in their home, I don't know the exact recipe but I believe theirs was just chili peppers marinated in brandy.

Finding the true pepper (African Birds Eye) can be a challenge for me on the East Coast, but I do make a Peri Peri that is pretty close, and delish. You can use any hot pepper, these came from the garden and were a variety as things got all cross pollinated and hybridized.

View attachment 66062
I've grown those at home, in Angola they're called jindungo. But mine were too mild.

Back
Top Bottom