The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:29 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
87bf6b9d-d9d7-4b9c-9326-ad42260be6df-jpeg.jpg

I very nearly put "easy" in the title, as in "Easy Pirogis with Sage Butter" because this is a simplified version of a pirogi recipe: I microwaved the potato instead of roasting or boiling it, and I used wonton wrappers instead of making the dough. But, there's still a LOT going on here.

I took many, many more pictures than I've posted here, but I was sure I was going to exceed the limit of pictures allowed. I can post additional pics for clarity if desired.

Another thing: this is very easy to make vegan: instead of the butter, just use vegetable oil. And, use vegan cheese instead of the cheddar.

Ingredients

1 pound of potatoes
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
6 tablespoons butter
25 wonton wrappers
1 tablespoon fresh sage
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Poke several holes in both sides of the potatoes using a fork. Microwave potatoes for 5 minutes. Carefully check to see if there's some give to the flesh (as you'd expect a baked potato to have). if not, microwave in 1 minute increments and check again until done. Scoop out the flesh and set aside.

IMG_0939.JPG

2. Cut the corners off the wonton wrappers with a ring mold or a knife.

IMG_0940.JPG

3. Melt half of the butter in a pan and saute the onion until soft and fragrant. Add potatoes and stir thoroughly to coat. Continue cooking until somewhat browned. Stir in cheese. Add salt and pepper and check the flavor until it's to your liking. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

IMG_0942.JPG

4. Scoop about a tablespoon onto one end of the wonton wrapper. Brush the edges of the wrapper with water.

IMG_0943.JPG

5. Fold over the other half of the wonton wrapper, making sure to squeeze out any air and moisture. Press down the edges, and then crimp them down using the edge of a fork.

IMG_0944.JPG

6. Allow the pirogis to rest for a few minutes to allow the seal to strengthen. Add them to boiling water a few at a time, making sure not to crowd the pan. Give the pot a stir to ensure they don't stick to the bottom. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove with a skimmer. Allow to dry on a rack, or carefully place on a paper towel if you don't have something suitable. Continue until all are done.

7. Melt remaining butter in a pan. Stir in sage leaves. Heat on medium-low for a few minutes until fragrant. Raise heat to medium. Add pirogis to the pan a few at a time, carefully flipping them after a minute or so, until browned.

IMG_0950.JPG

8. Enjoy by themselves, or with sour cream if desired.

My great grandparents settled in Pittsburgh from Italy. I have dozens of relatives there. I even lived there for two years. Yet, I have never eaten a single Pirogi. Every time I go to Pittsburgh, I vow that I am going to get some Pirogis, but stuff happens, and I don't.

Maybe I just need to make some.

CD

I. Shall be. Making these. Thanks!
Cool!

To be totally honest, I wasn't even thinking of this....but, I saw the wonton wrappers marked down to half price, so you could say they selected me. There are a lot of steps, but it's really not that bad (though you will probably get tired of wrapping all those little pirogis).

View attachment 33487

I very nearly put "easy" in the title, as in "Easy Pirogis with Sage Butter" because this is a simplified version of a pirogi recipe: I microwaved the potato instead of roasting or boiling it, and I used wonton wrappers instead of making the dough. But, there's still a LOT going on here.

I took many, many more pictures than I've posted here, but I was sure I was going to exceed the limit of pictures allowed. I can post additional pics for clarity if desired.

Another thing: this is very easy to make vegan: instead of the butter, just use vegetable oil. And, use vegan cheese instead of the cheddar.

Ingredients

1 pound of potatoes
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
6 tablespoons butter
25 wonton wrappers
1 tablespoon fresh sage
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Poke several holes in both sides of the potatoes using a fork. Microwave potatoes for 5 minutes. Carefully check to see if there's some give to the flesh (as you'd expect a baked potato to have). if not, microwave in 1 minute increments and check again until done. Scoop out the flesh and set aside.

View attachment 33481

2. Cut the corners off the wonton wrappers with a ring mold or a knife.

View attachment 33482

3. Melt half of the butter in a pan and saute the onion until soft and fragrant. Add potatoes and stir thoroughly to coat. Continue cooking until somewhat browned. Stir in cheese. Add salt and pepper and check the flavor until it's to your liking. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

View attachment 33483

4. Scoop about a tablespoon onto one end of the wonton wrapper. Brush the edges of the wrapper with water.

View attachment 33484

5. Fold over the other half of the wonton wrapper, making sure to squeeze out any air and moisture. Press down the edges, and then crimp them down using the edge of a fork.

View attachment 33485

6. Allow the pirogis to rest for a few minutes to allow the seal to strengthen. Add them to boiling water a few at a time, making sure not to crowd the pan. Give the pot a stir to ensure they don't stick to the bottom. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove with a skimmer. Allow to dry on a rack, or carefully place on a paper towel if you don't have something suitable. Continue until all are done.

7. Melt remaining butter in a pan. Stir in sage leaves. Heat on medium-low for a few minutes until fragrant. Raise heat to medium. Add pirogis to the pan a few at a time, carefully flipping them after a minute or so, until browned.

View attachment 33486

8. Enjoy by themselves, or with sour cream if desired.

They must be very delicious, che bravo. The very clear photos about every steps have also almost supplanted the written recipe.

I so much love it when members cook recipes posted by other members. It looks as if you made those pirogis beautifully. The verdict?

I so much love it when members cook recipes posted by other members. It looks as if you made those pirogis beautifully. The verdict?
Well, just based on the shape, I missed on that, but that was my fault, though I'm not a purist, so it doesn't bother me. On the last batch, I ended up folding the flappy ends under and it made the end product look like a little envelope (or the pope's hat), which I kind of liked, actually.

The filling: I don't know why, but I ended up mashing the potatoes instead of just leaving them kind of loose. Again, it worked just fine, but it was a little different.

Regardless of all that - delicious! Wonderful little pockets of creamy potato filling, and the lightly fried sage was quite a tasty little addition.

We've been talking about making pirogis. Craig mentioned there were some that had sauerkraut?

Back
Top Bottom