Pizza Stone

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
7:07 PM
Decades ago DIL gave us a pizza stone. She was playing around with selling Pampered Chef products. We have rarely used it, mostly to cook ready to bake pizza.
What else can it be used for?
I am getting ingredients together to make a stuffed olive bread. It does not need a loaf pan. Could I use the pizza stone? Should the loaf be placed directly on the stone or should I use parchment paper?
I can use a sheet pan but thought the pizza stone might be better.
Your thoughts. Please and :thankyou:

Yes, you can use it to bake bread. Yoh can also use it with thinner sheet pans to prevent over browning, like with cookies. Some people use parchment just to make sure there is no sticking. You can use the parchment until it sets, then pull it out or just leave it there. The crust doesn't get quite as crisp if you leave the parchment in.

A lot of people just leave the stone on the bottom rack as it acts as a diffuser. Regardless, the stone needs to heat for at least half an hour to make sure it heats evenly. Also, let it start heating in a cold oven.

morning glory

Yeah, and if you can, just leave it in there on the bottom rack, it'll help regulate the heat in the oven. I think medtran49 mentioned that as well.

The only issue is how to get the pizza on to that very, very hot stone. You need a pizza paddle. I use a flat metal baking sheet (with no rim), sprinkled with fine semolina (polenta would do). And place the rolled out dough on it. Then add toppings. Then when the stone is heated up hold the tin parallel with the stone and sort of shove it forward, so the pizza comes off the baking sheet and onto the stone. Difficult to explain in words. Its actually quite easy as long as you use the semolina to stop the dough sticking to the baking sheet.

Back
Top Bottom