Pizza Stone

What I really want is an Ooni though, but without a yard, and just a balcony, it's not really a safe possibility... :(

Yes - that is what I want (the Ooni is a really good product) and I do have outdoor space. But I'm not convinced I'd use it enough to justify the price. A pizza stone does help in a conventional oven.

What I really want is an Ooni though, but without a yard, and just a balcony, it's not really a safe possibility... :(
Actually the 12" Koda would be fine to use on a reasonable-sized balcony: its pretty compact (I've taken our away with us in the motorhome) and whilst the top of the oven gets hot, the legs and underneath don't so it can be used on most surfaces.

Yes - that is what I want (the Ooni is a really good product) and I do have outdoor space. But I'm not convinced I'd use it enough to justify the price. A pizza stone does help in a conventional oven.
The Ooni is indeed a good product - I love ours, though it does take a bit of practice to get it right without burning the crust (but some of that is because the Koda 12 is pretty snug - the Koda 16 would be easier to use...though its reportedly a bit of a beast and not so portable). My pizza making has been totally transformed since getting the Ooni and we've gone from having pizzas now and again to having them at least once a fortnight, sometimes once a week :D

I mostly use my pizza stone for baking bread now. Having said that, I've not tried making pizza in the oven since I got a new one...which unlike the old one has bottom heat, goes up to 300C and has a pizza setting....I'll have to try it some day.

The main thing with a pizza stone is that you need to let it get nice and hot before you launch your pizza onto it...in an electric oven that usually means pre-heating it for about an hour.

I don't make pizza multiple times/week - so a dedicated "super oven" seems unwarranted for me....

I have a ceramic oven stone which works quite well. I think the most important "key" to success is an adequate preheat of the stone. a baking stone is not 'up to temp' when the oven beeps as "ready" - I crank the oven up to 550'F/285'C and preheat for one hour.
the pizza crust comes out crisp enough to 'snap' when cut.

I have one like THIS. I measured the size of the oven before buying it to make sure that it will fit in the oven, since it's in a 24-inch stove. It came with it's own pizza cutter. :whistling:

Here's the other pizza cutter that I got!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom