Pizza Stone

We use a peel which gets a light sprinkling of coarse corn meal before the dough is slid onto the stone.

My current project is not pizza, stuffed bread. If I have it right I need to heat the stone then gently put the loaf on the stone
Bake

My current project is not pizza, stuffed bread. If I have it right I need to heat the stone then gently put the loaf on the stone
Bake

Yes - but that will only work if you can pick up the uncooked proved dough without it getting misshapen. I added to my post above to perhaps use baking parchment to prove the loaf on.

We use a peel which gets a light sprinkling of coarse corn meal before the dough is slid onto the stone.

Yep - same principle. Pizza paddle, pizza peel - but a flat baking tray will do it too.

Ok
So use paper to transfer the loaf to the stone. No paddle or rimless pan available
You have given me lots of good advice.
As I said in the beginning the stone has only been used for ready to bake pizza
I will take your advice and keep it on the lowest oven rack
I am jazzed. I will actually use my stone
I seriously considered giving it away. :hyper: One of those things that was seldom used and taking up space
You have given me a New appreciation for my stone. :thankyou:

I use a pizza peel, and with a peel, once you transfer the dough, you have to be quick, because you can get sticky spots, even with semolina down.

For that reason, I switched to parchment paper a long time ago. I dress the pizza and it slides right onto the stone, no problem. After a minute, I give the paper a tug and out it comes.

For bread, it's the exact same principle - paper goes on the peel, dough goes on the paper, and you can do the final shape right there, then slide it onto the stone. You can either pull the paper back out after a couple of minutes (don't touch the stone!) or just leave it there. No problem either way.

Don't have a peel? Just get a sheet pan, and if it's rimmed, just turn it upside down, use the back side, then that's your peel. Paper, dough, slide onto the stone. You're done.

One word of warning, from experience - keep a thumb on the edge of the paper when you're going from your prep area to the oven. It's slick, and you may find that with just a little wiggle of your hand, that dough ends up on the floor.

I used the stone yesterday for my olive stuffed pastry. It is back in the oven on the bottom rack.
This morning G asked if I wanted him to put the stone back in the cabinet.
I replied (a little smugly) "No thank you Dear. It needs to stay in the oven because it acts as a diffuser. "
I got "the look ". :laugh:

Ages ago I bought a pizza stone from Pampered Chef. It ended up not ever being used. When I moved to my current home I found it - it had cracked and broken. SO I tossed it.
I went through more than one department store pizza stone (including one from Pampered Chef) before finally spending a few bucks and getting a heavy-duty one that'll withstand the fires of hell if I need it to.

The one I have now is about two inches thick and weighs about as much as a small car. Once it's heated, it stays hot for a long, long time.

Reviving this thread as I'm toying with getting a pizza stone or steel. I think the pizzas we make are good, but they just lack that certain something in the crust which I don't think is down to recipes, but temperatures.

This one looks like a possible candidate: Baking Steel The Original

What I really want is an Ooni though, but without a yard, and just a balcony, it's not really a safe possibility... :(

Reviving this thread as I'm toying with getting a pizza stone or steel. I think the pizzas we make are good, but they just lack that certain something in the crust which I don't think is down to recipes, but temperatures.

This one looks like a possible candidate: Baking Steel The Original

What I really want is an Ooni though, but without a yard, and just a balcony, it's not really a safe possibility... :(
My son is also looking at a pizza oven outside. Hes no great cook but I think hes inspired. I had one before they were popular here. Built it myself.
I dont know why I pulled it down. Keep me in the loop:)
Russ

Russ

Years ago DIL played around with selling Pampered Chef. She gave us a pizza stone. It lived in the cabinet until two or three years ago. Now it lives on the bottom rack of the oven. I do not use it often but I am glad I have it. I pick up open pizza dough from a local pizza joint. I also make mock pizza using puff pastry. Thanks to the Pizza Connoisseurs (TR and others) I really enjoy making a pizza now and then. A stone does make a world of difference in the final product.

When I bought my house in 2009, there were about 1000,000,000 ceramic tiles in the garage. One day I decided to make pizzas and , just like vernplum.
I think the pizzas we make are good, but they just lack that certain something in the crust which I don't think is down to recipes, but temperatures.
A normal oven but not quite enough heat.
I foraged around in the garage and found some big, fat, thick ceramic tiles. Stuck them in the oven at full (I believe, 550°F).
All of a sudden, my pizzas were far better - crispy on the bottom.
I don´t think it was the perfect answer, but I still use them today, and I´ve saved around - HOLY CRAP!! - $600, 700, $1000 ? on a pizza stone???
Hey, I´ve still got 999,999,999 ceramic tiles left if anyone is interested. Come on over!

Back
Top Bottom