Pizza

kgord

Veteran
Local time
4:45 AM
How often do you eat pizza? Do you make your own, or buy it? What kind do you like and what toppings do you use? When I was grocery shopping the other day, I saw a Cuban Foccacia Pizza. I was thinking to myself, now that is really differernet!

I think we had this thread before... at least, I'm getting deja vu! see What do you like on your pizza?
I always make my own. Favourite topping is chilli (of course!), and an egg on top cooked along with the pizza so the yolk is runny along with spinach and mozzarella. Capers, olives, garlic, anchovies....all of those.

I do not eat pizza that often. It is usually like a treat for me whenever I have it. I would usually buy it, I have never made my own pizza. I like my pizza topped with cheese, bacon or ham, and pineapple. I have also had vegetarian pizza before, and although it was okay, it is not my favourite. It was only bought because those we were entertaining at the time prefer vegetarian food and it was bought with them in mind.

Homemade pizza is great. We have it at least once every 2 weeks.

Top tip we picked from a friend earlier this year: Mrs S adds up to 25% semolina to the dough mix. It really helps improve the texture from being too 'doughy'.
I also roll it out in semolina. Stops it sticking and gives a good crisp crust.

We usually make our own once a month or so, and probably get store bought about the same - once a month. I love spicy toppings - hot salami, pepperoni, sausage, jalapeños, peppers...I also am firmly in the "pineapple is awesome" on pizzas category - there seems to be a bit of division there (people are either lovers or haters of it!)

When my kids wee younger i use to make homemade pizza often. They use to invite all their friends over for pizza. I don't make it too often now, Usually when we want pizza we will buy one. I do make the like mini english muffin pizza on occasion. My favorite toppings are ground beef, mushrooms, bacon and black olives and lots of cheese.

We always order pizza from Pizza Hut, Yellow Cab and another local pizza that is Greenwich. But for a homemade pizza, my husband makes a good one. Using leftover bread, preferably french bread so it will be crunchy, he would apply tomato paste and a sprinkling of grated cheddar cheese. For the toppings, it can be any meat like spam or even corned beef. But the thing that makes it taste like real pizza is the green bell pepper. Add white onion to enhance the spicy flavor. Toasted in the oven for 3 minutes, be ready with the Tabasco when it is taken out of the oven.

Pizza is a junkfood at my home if you have it delivered. I think pizza hut's cheese is too thick and dominoes has lost it's touch. I want my pizza not like the American Manhattan style but the original Italian. I like it salty with a small amount of goat cheese, tomato sauce and basil-- that's it. It's not too heavy and if the crust is just right and crispy then it's good.

I wonder what you guys prefer, think crust or thick and why? There are some pizzas that are like paper thin I even doubt it if there is any dough in there or am I just eating pure cheese? For me a simple home made pizza is enough like a dough plus tomato sauce some cheese and basil leaves.

I like both thick and think crust. I don't make my own pizza too often, but I know I should, it is better for you, and you can customize the toppings the way you want to. I need a good recipe for pizza crust. Does anyone have one? I want something that is easy to make. Someone told me on another forum site they make a 5 pound pizza. Probably named that cuz you gain 5 lbs after you eat it....lol. Maybe, I should not learn to make that!

One of my new favorite local pizza joints makes an incredible "Italian greens" pizza, which consists of Escarole and Spinach sauteed up in olive oil and garlic. These are then added to the dough along with a good amount of shredded Mozzarella, and I will also have them add some pickled hot banana pepper rings to finish it off. Their dough is thicker, but not as thick as a Chicago style pizza. But it's cooked in a well-greased pan, so the bottom of the dough is really crispy.

Another local pizza joint uses shredded smoked provolone and swiss cheese on their pizzas instead of the usual mozzarella cheese. They also add green bell pepper by default, unless you ask for it otherwise. The cheese blend is a nice change of pace from just plain old mozzarella.

We usually make our own pizza probably every couple of weeks I'd say. I'll put ground beef, pepperoni, ham, bacon (do you see a pattern here?). It's generally a meat pizza and if I try to incorporate any vegetable I'm a monster. I do sneak some onion in there at least when I'm cooking the ground beef so that has to count for something. If we order out, it's a local pizza joint, they make a great Donair pizza or we get the Works minus mushrooms because I don't do fungus. They have all sorts of fancy pizza with cheese in the crust or bacon wrapped and whatever else but we're pretty basic when it comes to pizza

The last pizza I had was a store bought one with a wafer thin crust, seriously it was like eating the pizza on a saltine. However, the taste was good, and the crust being that thin no doubt saved some calories so I was happy for that. I just think that there are so many varieities in pizza that you can make them as healthy or as unhealthy as you want, It is really entirely up to you as to how much effort you want to put in the product and how you choose to top it.

Back
Top Bottom