Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never been on a cruise, and now I won't ever!! About 4 cruise ships in Aussie waters , for weeks and weeks, confined to a cabin. No,thanks.

Russ

I've been on one cruise. My sister goes on two cruises a year -- well, until this year. She tells me Carnival bites.

The one cruise I went on was a Royal Caribbean cruise. Their biggest ship, at the time. They have bigger ones, now. First Class operation.

It was a 14-day cruise in the Mediterranean. The only bad experience was the last day, going back to Barcelona. The winds were coming out of the Pyrenees in full force. 20-foot seas. You had to put your hands on the walls to walk down the corridors to your cabin. I can only imagine what it would be like on a smaller ship.

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 5.43.32 PM.jpg

CD

You guys just reminded me of a charity fundraiser I went to dinner on the Marco Polo when it was berthed at lyttleton, a 30 min drive from here. Filipino crewed. About 25 years ago. The food and service was amazing. Still won't get me on a cruise though.

Russ

If I go on another cruise, it will be out of Galveston, and I won't leave the ship. While all the tourists go on the day excursions, I'll be on a deck chair with a cold drink. That was the best part, for me. Just doing absolutely nothing. The ship I was on had a cigar bar, and almost nobody went to it. I was there every night. Some good whiskey, a Cuban cigar, and a really cool bartender. Some nights, he and I were the only people in the place. We would just hang out and talk.

CD

If I go on another cruise, it will be out of Galveston, and I won't leave the ship. While all the tourists go on the day excursions, I'll be on a deck chair with a cold drink. That was the best part, for me. Just doing absolutely nothing. The ship I was on had a cigar bar, and almost nobody went to it. I was there every night. Some good whiskey, a Cuban cigar, and a really cool bartender. Some nights, he and I were the only people in the place. We would just hang out and talk.

CD

I miss cigars, I couldn't even have a puff, I'd start smoking again. But I miss them!!

Russ

Lost propulsion?
From memory for 24 hours. The big problem for Captains is they know when storms will hit and they have to balance the cost of staying in port, the passengers anger at missing a day and new port. Crews generally love it, it the time when the Master goes from bus driver mode to seamen. Pax also forget the hotel staff are not seamen so suffer as well. I cooked with Niko in a force 10 with high seas. We got all the Pax with sea legs, about 50 out of 1900 in to the yacht restaurant. The entire catering staff were either vomiting or on the vomit clean up gangs. Mrs Blank and Mrs Niko waited on tables.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same as the past three days.
Breakfast
Stroll on the beach
Beer
Pool (the game)
Lunch. Wine
Sleep in my the sun
Pool (not the game)
Cocktails
Supper. Wine
More cocktails
Bed.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Acclimatisation ends tomorrow with the arrival of the hire car, then it's off to do more active stuff.

It's a tough job,
I concur, the weather is stable here for the next 14 days like yours 31/32c with light to moderate breeze. A friend who owes me a favor called last night offering to lend us one of his rental cruisers with skipper for 24 hrs. He wants to know a date today. Making decisions is so stressful. Kalo Taxidi mate.

I concur, the weather is stable here for the next 14 days like yours 31/32c with light to moderate breeze. A friend who owes me a favor called last night offering to lend us one of his rental cruisers with skipper for 24 hrs. He wants to know a date today. Making decisions is so stressful. Kalo Taxidi mate.
👍

I have an appointment for a sonogram this afternoon -- and it's not because I'm pregnant (I just look that way). My GI doc needs to see if I can make it another year or two. :unsure:

I'm up a few pounds from the holiday weekend, but my circumference is the same. He didn't request any bloodwork (that I can find), and I'm not going to look very hard through my emails. My numbers would not be pretty. I went off the game plan over the weekend. I blame it on Covid-19, and too many months of being stuck inside.

CD

I have an appointment for a sonogram this afternoon -- and it's not because I'm pregnant (I just look that way). My GI doc needs to see if I can make it another year or two. :unsure:

I'm up a few pounds from the holiday weekend, but my circumference is the same. He didn't request any bloodwork (that I can find), and I'm not going to look very hard through my emails. My numbers would not be pretty. I went off the game plan over the weekend. I blame it on Covid-19, and too many months of being stuck inside.

CD
Keep a good thought and keep at it. My brother Lee's been given up for dead a couple of times in the last few years, and he just got his latest results yesterday, and he's doing ok.

He's also fighting serious liver (and intestinal) issues, no booze (which we thought that'd kill him, just from the shock to his system) and a very limited diet, and he got good reports (relatively speaking) on both.

I'm hoping the same holds for you, and that a weekend off the game plan will be recoverable. The past is over, can't undo it, so just get back on that crappy diet and keep on truckin'!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom