Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here washing is whites at 60°C (allergy wash) but I do all whites and all my bedding and towels are whites. Then generally everything else us washed on a 30°C mixed wash except for woollens which have separate detergent and are washed on a cold wash. The only time I separate lights from darks is when we've got a lot to wash such as now, after our holiday. Then I'll split the wash into 2.

But normally for the 2 of us it is 2 washes a week, bedding (due to allergies) and everything else except woollens.

Last edited:
Here washing is whites at 60°C (allergy wash) but I do all whites and all my bedding and towels are whites. Then generally everything else us washed on a 30°C mixed wash except for woollens which have separate detergent and are washed on a cold wash. The only time I separate lights from darks is when we've got a lot to wash such as now, after our holiday. Then I'll split the wash into 2.

But normally for the 2 of us it is 2 washes a week, bedding (due to allergies) and everything else except woollens.

You back in Aussie satnav? Who watched your chooks?

Russ

Daughter and grandson coming for dinner tonight. Wants to try my butter chicken now I've pretty near got it bang on. Chicken has been marinading in tandoori yoghurt paste overnight. Raining here so lazy day after busy few days. My son heard about it so he rang and wants me to save some for him to sample. We all love Indian food.

Russ

You back in Aussie satnav? Who watched your chooks?

Russ
Yep. First plane to land at Sydney airport this morning. There's a 5am curfew, do we did 40 minutes of circuits breville we could land. We must have had a healthy tail wind all the way from Singapore, though I know we did leave there early.

The chooks are largely setup to look after themselves. They have several automated doors. The main chook house has 2. One leads into the main enclosure (chook electric fence system via solar panel recharging a battery) which they have had access to the entire time (daylight hours only). For 11 birds there's roughly 200m² of fenced in space. That's plenty of space and doesn't include their roost. Lots of sun bathing, dirt, a couple of bales of hay, several pallets made into wind breaks and a fallen trunk or two plus a dedicated wet weather area with 5 food containers scattered throughout that entire area. They are designed to keep rodents out, though I confess thay magpies mau be able to eat from them, or at least are only cleaning up what they chooks don't eat off the floor. There's a water trough attached to 100 litres of drinking water for them as well (think of 2 black bins with lids attached via a Y connector and gluing down to the trough via gravity feed and float mechanism). Inside the main chook house (which could easily house 40 chooks and has) are another 2 food and 2 water containers just in car they very trappedinside the chook house. Then there's another automated door which allows them to free range when safe. Not so even we are not home to lock up and disconnected completely whilst we were away.

The second chook house is completely self contained but we've partitioned it off to include a dedicated dust bath area. The roosting compartment is on an automated door there as well. There's only 2 bantams and 2 smaller sized chooks in that one. Every attempt to very them into the main flock has failed. They chose to stay there!

My husband's boss came over twice to check on them for us and top up the food supply because despite everything we put out, they were still getting through it all in just over a week. Water they were fine with and that's the crucial one at the end of the day. We usually only top that up maybe once a month, except for the interval coop water. I've still got to get that onto the trough system.

Yep. First plane to land at Sydney airport this morning. There's a 5am curfew, do we did 40 minutes of circuits breville we could land. We must have had a healthy tail wind all the way from Singapore, though I know we did leave there early.

The chooks are largely setup to look after themselves. They have several automated doors. The main chook house has 2. One leads into the main enclosure (chook electric fence system via solar panel recharging a battery) which they have had access to the entire time (daylight hours only). For 11 birds there's roughly 200m² of fenced in space. That's plenty of space and doesn't include their roost. Lots of sun bathing, dirt, a couple of bales of hay, several pallets made into wind breaks and a fallen trunk or two plus a dedicated wet weather area with 5 food containers scattered throughout that entire area. They are designed to keep rodents out, though I confess thay magpies mau be able to eat from them, or at least are only cleaning up what they chooks don't eat off the floor. There's a water trough attached to 100 litres of drinking water for them as well (think of 2 black bins with lids attached via a Y connector and gluing down to the trough via gravity feed and float mechanism). Inside the main chook house (which could easily house 40 chooks and has) are another 2 food and 2 water containers just in car they very trappedinside the chook house. Then there's another automated door which allows them to free range when safe. Not so even we are not home to lock up and disconnected completely whilst we were away.

The second chook house is completely self contained but we've partitioned it off to include a dedicated dust bath area. The roosting compartment is on an automated door there as well. There's only 2 bantams and 2 smaller sized chooks in that one. Every attempt to very them into the main flock has failed. They chose to stay there!

My husband's boss came over twice to check on them for us and top up the food supply because despite everything we put out, they were still getting through it all in just over a week. Water they were fine with and that's the crucial one at the end of the day. We usually only top that up maybe once a month, except for the interval coop water. I've still got to get that onto the trough system.

Wow, you really are set up. Good to,get home though.

Russ

The corporate overlords are treating us minions to a baseball game today, seeing the Cincinnati Redlegs.

I've got my kit ready.
BBDC1B22-91A6-4713-B4D6-C4E5126365D3.jpeg

Wow, you really are set up. Good to,get home though.

Russ
We needed to be. Soon after getting the chooks I took a nasty fall actually going to them and broke 10 ribs, 1 if then in 2 places. I couldn't do much except visit then once a day so we liked into getting the first automatic door so I only had to go down to them when I felt able to. I should have been hospitalised but didn't want to be and managed 10 days if hell before going to my doctors after the fall.

Anyhow we stayed that way for quite some time but then we both went down with pneumonia, me going down with double pneumonia and spending 6 days on life support and 12 in ICU in total. I spent 2 months in hospital in total so hubby got another automatic gate to allow then to be able to free range without me needing to go down (down a steep hill) to let them out. They had a main run at that point as well as an inner run and chook house that was an old stable block. We just converted what was there. Then an emergency house move meant some major changes. Tbe new place had an old aivory but it needed major work on it to make it safe from foxes and habitable even for chooks so I had to get a new 'all in one' chook house as a temporary measure. I landed on one cheap by shear good fortune and spent $$$ on the chook electric fence to keep the chooks in and foxes out at this place. Once I had renovated the aivory and made it into a chook house, the electric fence became their daytime run and the old automated gates opened out into it or into free range as needed. The spare chook house became the sick ward or maternity block as needed. But you had to lock them up by hand at night. In summer that's fine leaving tbe sleeping quarters open to fresh air but we realised that food this trip it was going to be freezing whilst we were away so bought a really cheap one to seal then up at night because the opening faces into the winter storms and it can only go in one place and only 1 way round! But you get what you pay for and this really cheap one is a pain. Already we have had issues because you can't even open the door without the aid of a screwdriver! There are no external controls at all and the unit itself is not waterproof just weather resistant... so if a chicken is locked out and you want to put it away safely, wer have to catch the chicken and carry it around to the back and post it into the nesting area and then shine a torch up to the roosting perches for it to find its way up there. But because we are putting it in via a route it doesn't know... and the access is smaller than 2 if the birds that live in there so they get unceremoniously dumped head first into a nest! None of which helps to train them.
I've no idea what I'll do when I've actually got birds sitting on eggs. I keep chicks and mums separate from the main flock initially because the converted aivory isn't suitable for chicks. They can get through the electric fence whereas the mum can't. Then they get stuck there unable to get back of their own accord and either die from thirst, hunger or cold or get picked off by the magpies or crows or eagles.... so it's better they are where I can keep an eye on them for the first few weeks. After that nature can take its course. So far I've only lost 1 to anything other than disease.

So it all kind of evolved over the years really.

We needed to be. Soon after getting the chooks I took a nasty fall actually going to them and broke 10 ribs, 1 if then in 2 places. I couldn't do much except visit then once a day so we liked into getting the first automatic door so I only had to go down to them when I felt able to. I should have been hospitalised but didn't want to be and managed 10 days if hell before going to my doctors after the fall.

Anyhow we stayed that way for quite some time but then we both went down with pneumonia, me going down with double pneumonia and spending 6 days on life support and 12 in ICU in total. I spent 2 months in hospital in total so hubby got another automatic gate to allow then to be able to free range without me needing to go down (down a steep hill) to let them out. They had a main run at that point as well as an inner run and chook house that was an old stable block. We just converted what was there. Then an emergency house move meant some major changes. Tbe new place had an old aivory but it needed major work on it to make it safe from foxes and habitable even for chooks so I had to get a new 'all in one' chook house as a temporary measure. I landed on one cheap by shear good fortune and spent $$$ on the chook electric fence to keep the chooks in and foxes out at this place. Once I had renovated the aivory and made it into a chook house, the electric fence became their daytime run and the old automated gates opened out into it or into free range as needed. The spare chook house became the sick ward or maternity block as needed. But you had to lock them up by hand at night. In summer that's fine leaving tbe sleeping quarters open to fresh air but we realised that food this trip it was going to be freezing whilst we were away so bought a really cheap one to seal then up at night because the opening faces into the winter storms and it can only go in one place and only 1 way round! But you get what you pay for and this really cheap one is a pain. Already we have had issues because you can't even open the door without the aid of a screwdriver! There are no external controls at all and the unit itself is not waterproof just weather resistant... so if a chicken is locked out and you want to put it away safely, wer have to catch the chicken and carry it around to the back and post it into the nesting area and then shine a torch up to the roosting perches for it to find its way up there. But because we are putting it in via a route it doesn't know... and the access is smaller than 2 if the birds that live in there so they get unceremoniously dumped head first into a nest! None of which helps to train them.
I've no idea what I'll do when I've actually got birds sitting on eggs. I keep chicks and mums separate from the main flock initially because the converted aivory isn't suitable for chicks. They can get through the electric fence whereas the mum can't. Then they get stuck there unable to get back of their own accord and either die from thirst, hunger or cold or get picked off by the magpies or crows or eagles.... so it's better they are where I can keep an eye on them for the first few weeks. After that nature can take its course. So far I've only lost 1 to anything other than disease.

So it all kind of evolved over the years really.

Lol, I don't know where you get all the time??

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom