Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually, I'm in the office today, but I'm working from home. I'm going into the office tomorrow instead, because they're taking us employees out to a baseball game and giving us $20 each to spend on concessions. That should just about cover a hot dog...:D

That means I'm also shifting laundry day from Thursday to Wednesday this week.

Of all my household chores, laundry is the one I hate the most. Once it gets rolling, you can forget about doing anything else because it seems like just as you get settled into another task or a cup of tea, the tumble dryer starts beeping and that has to be seen to. Up, down. Up, down...that's me on laundry day.

I don't have a tumble drier - washing just goes on a fold up 'airer' and it often stays there until the next day so I don't dread it. However, when younger son & daughter lived here (plus son's girlfriend) I seemed to be washing almost every day. Mountains of the stuff!

A typical laundry day is six loads for the washer. It's very rare that I wash any laundry between laundry days. The few times I've had to do that, where I washed loads over three or so days, felt like laundry was never-ending.

:eek: Blimey. My once a week for two people is one load - maybe two if bedding and towels are being washed. How can you be generating so much washing...?
Well, there's:

1. Towels (bath/hand/dish & face cloths)
2. Brights
3. Lights
4. Whites
5. Darks
6. Delicates

Towels are the biggest load, then the rest except for delicates are about the same, and delicates are always just a few items, but they need to get washed all the same.

Well, there's:

2. Brights
3. Lights
4. Whites
5. Darks
6. Delicates

Towels are the biggest load, then the rest except for delicates are about the same, and delicates are always just a few items, but they need to get washed all the same.
What goes into the wash for #2 and #3?

Well, there's:

2. Brights
3. Lights
4. Whites
5. Darks
6. Delicates

Oh my gosh! You wash things separately. Everything here gets bunged in together for a 40 C wash - job done. No problems so far and ecologically the best route IMHO.

Well, there's:

2. Brights
3. Lights
4. Whites
5. Darks
6. Delicates

Oh my gosh! You wash things separately. Everything here gets bunged in together for a 40 C wash - job done. No problems so far and ecologically the best route IMHO.

We don't separate, everything gets mixed and washed at 30 C.

What goes into the wash for #2 and #3?
Ok, I'm looking at my brights right now, they're next up. Among the items, I see:

Pink underpants
Print top in shades of pink
Print top in shades of green
Yellow dress shirt
Green dress shirt

The lights/neutrals are washing now. From memory:

Light blue and grey tattersall shirt
Light tan capris
Beige cargo shorts

Yeah, I wash things separately, or else over time, they all end up colored by all the mixing. That's why the first instruction on most clothes labels is, "Wash with like colors..."

It's also a familiar trope on TV sitcoms and humor articles, that men can't do laundry primarily because they don't know how to separate the laundry. It's always a big laugh when a guy does the laundry and his wife's frilly pink sexy underwear comes out a kind of muddled grey/brown because he washed it with his black t-shirts.

I'm happy to report that my frilly pink sexy underwear is as colorful as the day I bought them! :laugh:

I didn't even mention bedding. That gets done on a separate day, just whenever, and usually it's just one load for both beds.

Yeah, I wash things separately, or else over time, they all end up colored by all the mixing. That's why the first instruction on most clothes labels is, "Wash with like colors..."

Maybe - but I can't say I've noticed. I tend not to wear white.

I'm happy to report that my frilly pink sexy underwear is as colorful as the day I bought them! :laugh:

:roflmao:

I didn't even mention bedding. That gets done on a separate day, just whenever, and usually it's just one load for both beds.

Bedding is washed at best once a month in this house. And no, I don't have bed bugs here. :laugh: And you already know I don't wash new clothes on any account.

Washing uses up water and electricity and my precious time - I have to pay for the first two so the less I use the washing machine the better. As for my time - that is something I won't sacrifice to a machine or chores. We could move on to hoovering or washing floors - but you would be so shocked you might never speak to me again...:giggle:

Last edited:
@morning glory - Bedding is once a week at my wife's insistence, although I'll say I'm a weird one in that I hate the feel of freshly-laundered sheets. Sheets need a night's sleep to break them in.

Vacuuming - I have to do at least the living room daily because the dog, in her dotage, has decided she likes to take a mouthful of food, walk it to some random part of the floor, drop it, then eat most of it. After a meal, the floor looks like Tinkerbark The Kibble Fairy has sprinkled the room.

Floors...I remember my mom scrubbing the floors with Spic-N-Span, then having to rinse them. The kitchen and bathroom was a half-day affair. I haven't mopped a floor since Swiffer/WetJet products came on the scene. :)

Since we're taking laundry, I'll share a pointless story about laundry while traveling.

When we were much younger, we never considered doing laundry while on vacation. We generally didn't go for very long, and we'd just pack what we needed for the whole time, then return home with our luggage packed with our dirties.

As time went by and we had to haul more medical-related stuff for my wife, and as we got to where we could afford to stay longer, we realized we could significantly cut down on our packing if we'd do laundry halfway through.

The first time we did this was in Munich, we'd gone for 13 days. Ahead of time, I researched laundry facilities and found that everyone recommend the same place - a trendy laundromat just off the main square downtown, and it had a coffee bar and movies on the televisions and snacks and comfy couches, and ultra-modern machines. Two transit stops from our neighborhood, so that seemed ok.

However, the first couple of days there, I was on my morning-walk-before-the-wife-wakes-up, and what did I happen upon but a laundromat, two blocks or so from the hotel.

Stuck my head in, it was clean as a whistle, no frills, though they did have a woman working there. She'd do your laundry for you for a fee.

Wow, this is a lot closer than the other, and I'm going to wager a lot more reasonably priced.

The day came to do the laundry and that's where we headed. Now, my German is passable, and I can read it a lot better than I can speak it or hear it, so I was reading the instructions for the machines, and apparently not going fast enough, because the woman from behind the window in the back, for drop-off laundry, came scooting out to us.

She asked if we needed help. That's not true, actually. She told us we needed help. :)

Before I knew what was happening, she took our laundry and dumped it into a basket, then sorted it into two machines (whites and colors - I would have used three), pointed me to the soap dispenser, and when I got that, she poured it in and hit the buttons.

"Go! Go!" - she shooed us out of the laundromat.

At this point, my suspicious traveler mind took over, and I thought, "She's just duped me into paying her to do my laundry." :meh:

Oh well, I figured, I'm not going to worry about it, and if that's how she earns her living, I'm glad to chip in.

We went a little farther down the street, found a bar, had a beer, walked around a little more, then popped into a shop and bought a couple of snack items for the room.

Finally, we went back to the laundry, and she had dried and folded our clothes. I asked her what I owed her, and she said just the money for dryers.

We insisted that we owed her whatever her charge was for doing two loads of laundry, and the best I could make out was that, as she was pointing to the board with prices on it, those prices were for residents, or locals, and we were on holiday, so no charge.

We were really surprised by that. We gave her the couple of coins for the machines, and we did talk her into taking one of the beers we bought for the room! :cheers:

Finally, we went back to the laundry, and she had dried and folded our clothes. I asked her what I owed her, and she said just the money for dryers.

We insisted that we owed her whatever her charge was for doing two loads of laundry, and the best I could make out was that, as she was pointing to the board with prices on it, those prices were for residents, or locals, and we were on holiday, so no charge.

We were really surprised by that. We gave her the couple of coins for the machines, and we did talk her into taking one of the beers we bought for the room! :cheers:

Great story - I enjoyed that.

Floors...I remember my mom scrubbing the floors with Spic-N-Span, then having to rinse them. The kitchen and bathroom was a half-day affair. I haven't mopped a floor since Swiffer/WetJet products came on the scene. :)

Don't know what Swiffer/WetJet products are...

Don't know what Swiffer/WetJet products are...
They're pre-moistened no-rinse cleaning pads, about 4-in-by-8-in, that fit into the end of a purpose-made moppy-stick.

Slap one on, push it round your lino, and you're done.

The WetJet one is a fancier version. It has a little battery-powered bottle of cleaner juice attached, so you can occasionally press a button to squirt extra juice out onto tough stains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom