Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plans for today got subverted by high winds and a power outage that began about 7:30 this morning. At any rate I am sitting outside my supermarket with food I bought for dinner that does not need cooking. .. plus some English muffins for a contest somewhere else on this site. I will supplement what I bought with an avocado I already have.

Power originally was to be restored by 1:30 PM. Now they say 4:30 PM.

Our electric company is Eversource. I wonder if they are related to Ever Given?

At any rate, heading back home to where there will be no WiFi and barely existing cell service. Later!

It’s my dad Birthday today, since I can’t go and visit my parents, I’ll do the same thing for him I did for my mom’s B-day; sending flowers by Euroflora on-line. Usually I don’t give him flowers for his birthday, I make a cake or buy other things, but this is a completely different situation so I’m sure he will appreciate. My brother bought a book for him on Amazon days ago but he is still waiting...

I’m going out for a walk, then I have to manage a couple of working phone calls.

I am making lunch for the family (it has been decided for me), and then doing chores for them. The lunch will be my shrimp and penne pasta dish, with a San Marzano tomato sauce. They all love it, and ask for it almost every time I come down to Houston.

Then, I am replacing lightbulbs that require a ladder, that we don't allow my 88-year-old father to use. Then I have to prune a tree (brought a saw from home), cover a tomato garden with bird netting, and stain a deck.

CD

Last edited:
Prepping for a choucroute granite for dinner tonight. Braised some nice pork belly slices in basically a court bouillon with Riesling added a couple of days ago, then refrigerated to defat the liquid. Sausages all from the freezer from when we made a trip to a mom and pop German butcher shop a while back. Used some of Craig's homemade bacon from the freezer as well. Finally making a dent in the stuffed freezers even though we keep buying new things when they go on sale to go in there. Using up most of what's left of my small batch sauerkraut too.

Today: Decided to defrost the upright stand-alone freezer, while the weather is still cold enough to stash all the foods outside. Okay, briefly it will be above freezing for two or three hours but this task really needs to be done. (There was a time not long ago that I failed to secure the door shut properly, which led to immense ice buildup inside it.) So anyhow, everything is outdoors on the front porch, in two coolers and a box, with a couple items leaning against the coolers and ice packs keeping those things cold. Yes, I did throw a few things that passed my own personal criterion for a "use by even if frozen" date, and there were way too many packages of lard I needed to render down, so I rendered one of them OUT.

Decided to take the opp to make poultry bone broth, too. I do save bones for various types of stock. So many poultry parts - mostly chicken, a little turkey from last Thanksgiving, and a tiny bit of duck from a recent venture cooking duck breast. I only make stock or bone broth from local-raised animals. Toss in some vinegar and a large quartered onion, and HAVE AT IT! (Yes, I could make it a mirepoix, but since I have little preconception as to the uses I'll make of this stuff in advance - I mean, it could be Asian, or Cajun/Creole - I go minimalistic. And the vinegar is in there to help draw the nutrients out of the collagen/bone connective tissues.)

Did a local mom and pop grocery run, too.

I am hoping to get outdoors to do some driveway fixings - it is a dirt/gravel driveway, but the snow plow guy went too far on one direction, and so that area is a mud pit. And any vehicle that arrives here - especially any heavy delivery truck - runs roughshod over that area as they drive out. I NEED to fix that while the ground is still wet enough to do this easily!

Yes! I have some too and its a gorgeous colour. Not very hot in my experience.

With tikka I'm not really concerned about the heat. If (and no doubt I will) I convert it to tikka masala I can make any adjustments to suit my taste with the masala sauce. I shall need to experiment with it now that I've opened the packet.

I definitely agree with you on the colour.

My plans today include trying to get the mower started for the beginning of mowing season. It never wants to start after winter. Sorry, Jesus, but I will be cussing on your other birthday holiday weekend.

Then I've got to get the kitchen cleared because the tilers are coming tomorrow to do the backsplash.

My plans today include trying to get the mower started for the beginning of mowing season. It never wants to start after winter. Sorry, Jesus, but I will be cussing on your other birthday holiday weekend.

Then I've got to get the kitchen cleared because the tilers are coming tomorrow to do the backsplash.

Go to an auto parts store (which will probably be closed today) and get a spray can of starter fluid. Spray a 2-second blast into the carburetor, and your mower will start on the first or second try.

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 10.00.33 AM.png

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom