Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off-year elections, so we'll go vote
Well, that was a boondoggle. We got in the car, turned right, went about a mile, then left and went about two miles, then left again for another mile, and arrived at the firehouse that serves as our polling station.

Me: "Hmmmm...that's odd. No signs out for voting."

Wife: "Yeah, they sent a card in the mail a while ago saying the polling station had changed."

😒

"Where is it now?"

"Over by the school, I think."

Off we head toward the school, another five or six miles away. Get there, no signs or anything.

I broke out the phone and checked the local board of elections. Instead of just listing the polling stations by township, you have to put in your address. I put in my address.

"Address is invalid or unknown."

😒😒

So I called the board of elections.

"Yeah, it's at the school now."

"I'm at the school. I don't see it."

"It's around back."

Drove around back, there's a back entrance, no signs or anything (and I'm pretty sure it's the law that polling stations have to be plainly marked on Election Day), stick my head in, yep, it's the voting place.

All of that to vote in three uncontested races, one school board race, and a tax levy. And they wonder why off-year election voter participation is about 15%. 😒😒😒

I'm currently standing in line outside Aldi, waiting for it to open in 20 minutes. Today's the day they get their wine, beer, and cheese advent calendars in, and each store gets a limited amount, and they sell out in no time.

Good luck!
They do the whole process right. Each store gets 32 beer and 32 wine calendars, and before they let you in, they give you a ticket for which ones you want, and you're limited to no more than two each.

That way, you can still shop the store, and then when you pay, you hand over your ticket(s) and you get your calendar(s) then. Being #10, I was in no danger of missing out.

I looked at the beer one, but it was a lot of IPAs and DIPAs, which neither of us are interested in.

When I get home, I'll post a pic of the wines and the cheeses. I got that one as well because all the cheeses are paired with the wines.

These were wildly popular last year, and this year, sure enough, Kroger and Costco are both doing them.

They do the whole process right. Each store gets 32 beer and 32 wine calendars, and before they let you in, they give you a ticket for which ones you want, and you're limited to no more than two each.

That way, you can still shop the store, and then when you pay, you hand over your ticket(s) and you get your calendar(s) then. Being #10, I was in no danger of missing out.

I looked at the beer one, but it was a lot of IPAs and DIPAs, which neither of us are interested in.

When I get home, I'll post a pic of the wines and the cheeses. I got that one as well because all the cheeses are paired with the wines.

These were wildly popular last year, and this year, sure enough, Kroger and Costco are both doing them.
I think I feel that there could be a dedicated advent calendar thread... we've got a new one this year.

I thought I'd include this pointless story.

MrsTasty had her teeth cleaned this morning, so we headed out to breakfast after that to dirty them up again. :)

We both ordered the same thing: eggs over medium, crispy hash browns, white toast, and one with bacon and one with sausages.

Whenever we both have eggs, I always order the same as she does, just to make it easy on the cook.

Plates came out, my eggs were perfect, hers were over hard, and one even had the yolk broken. As I've stated before, I can eat an egg from near-raw to near-burnt and enjoy the unique taste of each one, so I said, "Swap me eggs, I don't care," but she had to be a Difficult Donna and complain.

"Good luck getting your food any time soon."

I offered her half my breakfast in the meantime, but she was intent on being pouty about the whole thing, and after 20 minutes and my breakfast completely consumed, she finally got hers.

They were still messed up. One was over medium, one was over hard, but this time, she followed my advice and just ate them, though she was convinced the potatoes tasted "funny," and that the cook put something in them.

"That's why I never send food back to be recooked. You know there's a booger in your food somewhere, you just don't know where." :yuck:

I had a windfall yesterday so I shall be out looking at buying a new laptop to replace the steam driven one that I am currently trying to use.

Our guinea boys will be coming downstairs today whilst I clean their cage, sort out recycling, a pottering about day.

Well, I went out for a little shopping. First place I stopped, I got me some nice new socks in interesting stripes and dots.

Then I went to Sam's Club (similar time Costco)...forget it! They have a massive parking lot and it was filled and people were parking anywhere they could fit a car. Nope, some other time.

Then I went to my favorite grocery store (Dorothy Lane Markets) - it was also a madhouse.

Right inside the store, they set up a full Thanksgiving meal, from beginning to end, and they were handing out little samples of everything. It was crazy, and I'm sure I angered a few of the Grabby Guses while I fought my way through.

I did manage to get my first bottle of gourmet eggnog, and a few other things, before getting back out, and my loyalty points saved me 50% on the nog, some bakery bread, and some milk.

There's a funny little TV ad making the airwaves right now, about a teen boy who brings a girl back to her house after a date, and the car's seatbelt has wrinkled his shirt. The girl's mom takes one look at him and runs him off because she assumed the wrinkled shirt was due to some fooling around. :)

I think it was more the wrinkled pants, especially in the lower front area.

Well, that was a boondoggle. We got in the car, turned right, went about a mile, then left and went about two miles, then left again for another mile, and arrived at the firehouse that serves as our polling station.

Me: "Hmmmm...that's odd. No signs out for voting."

Wife: "Yeah, they sent a card in the mail a while ago saying the polling station had changed."

😒

"Where is it now?"

"Over by the school, I think."

Off we head toward the school, another five or six miles away. Get there, no signs or anything.

I broke out the phone and checked the local board of elections. Instead of just listing the polling stations by township, you have to put in your address. I put in my address.

"Address is invalid or unknown."

😒😒

So I called the board of elections.

"Yeah, it's at the school now."

"I'm at the school. I don't see it."

"It's around back."

Drove around back, there's a back entrance, no signs or anything (and I'm pretty sure it's the law that polling stations have to be plainly marked on Election Day), stick my head in, yep, it's the voting place.

All of that to vote in three uncontested races, one school board race, and a tax levy. And they wonder why off-year election voter participation is about 15%. 😒😒😒

Sounds like a nice day out! :)

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom