Plans for today (2023)

Airlines: when I worked for PM&Kraft, I always flew American Airlines. Earned me two free return flights to the UK. Then I stopped travelling in 2001, and since then, any flight will do as long as I get there.
Flew United over the New Year and I'm still fighting with them for (1) cancelled flight at the last minute (2) crummy hotel with no food (3) delayed flight the following afternoon and (4) missed intercontinental flight because of (3). Five months in and all they say is " we really care about our customers".
Anyhow - I did most of what I'd planned today, so good!

Two free checked bags?!! For real?!!!

Try the airlines I have to use to get to Spain from South West England 😱
One underseat bag of 40 X 20 X 25 cm (that’s approx 15’ x 7’ x 9 1/2 inches) is free.

Everything else you’ll pay more than your actual air fair for!

Frontier Airlines in the US charges you for carry on bags, too. They have very low rates, but you pay for everything!

CD

Yeah, that boring purchase ($820) has been made after an entire morning looking at and researching various compressors and nebulisers. My existing one is taking an hour (each time) to nebulise 6ml of meds twice a day and we're both bored stiff with it. Not sure what's wrong but it is 4 years outside of its warranty, so it's not exactly unexpected.

The down side is that my current one can run off the car 12v system, the new one can't. So I'll keep the old one and see if I can get some new parts for it (it was discontinued 3 years ago). If I can get it working at a vaguely sensible time frame, then it can live in the car as a backup for holidays.

We couldn't afford a new portable one that ran off batteries or mains. It started at $1,500 before you bought the supplies for a year plus the $225 of 3 months non-prescription medication. (I have 2 routine meds for nebuliser and 2 emergency medications that need to be nebulised.)

A battery pack might be an option.

I have to power a CPAP machine, they are heavy usage due to the power needed over time.
When I’m going somewhere with no electricity I have two powerful but small battery packs. I could theoretically get away with one (most people do) but two gives me reassurance, ones charging/charged while I use the other.

As they are powerful a 12v on it’s own isn’t enough to charge them however an inverter fixes this. They are usually cheap and do the trick.
The link below is obviously to a UK plug version but as its a common problem, I know they’re available everywhere 👍
Hope that helps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0111YIFK0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ps one of the battery packs I own also has a normal (UK three pin) socket and a folding solar panel so you don’t need a 12v and it can also be used to charge phones, laptops etc. Good for stopping in one spot where you won’t have any lecky. Unfortunately unlike the inverter this is usually an expensive option.

I have just accidentally destroyed my travel CPAP by forgetting to empty the humidifier and filling the main body with water when transporting it, thats over £1300 of machine wrecked in a careless moment. Not to mention the cost of the battery packs that work exclusively with that machine 🙄

I‘ve taken it apart and left it on a heated airer for two weeks but as the water was sloshing around in there for almost three months before I discovered it my expectations aren’t high! 🙁
Fingers crossed it’s miraculously dried out with no damage.. so unlikely 😆

Fingers crossed it’s miraculously dried out with no damage.. so unlikely 😆
You'll need to get the circuits/m'boards clean of the residual ions and deposits left over after drying it out else they can cause short circuits or prevent power travelling along where is meant to... (that powder residue that's left over after boiling all water off) usually needs a volatile solvent and a lot of time and patience and cotton wool buds.

My main vehicle has a 18v truck battery which makes life more interesting... it also used to have a leisure battery in it, but that's been removed. The wiring wasn't making me happy let's just put it that way! Laws on vehicles are much more lax here in Australia!

For the moment I'm keeping the old one as the vehicle spare. The new one was delivered yesterday and has halved the time it takes to nebulise. I may be able to change from the very fine particle size to a medium particle size nebuliser as well, which will also speed things up. (The bit everyone thinks of as a nebuliser is actually just a compressor pump, the nebuliser is the part you put the liquid drugs into for inhalation. )

You'll need to get the circuits/m'boards clean of the residual ions and deposits left over after drying it out else they can cause short circuits or prevent power travelling along where is meant to... (that powder residue that's left over after boiling all water off) usually needs a volatile solvent and a lot of time and patience and cotton wool buds.

My main vehicle has a 18v truck battery which makes life more interesting... it also used to have a leisure battery in it, but that's been removed. The wiring wasn't making me happy let's just put it that way! Laws on vehicles are much more lax here in Australia!

For the moment I'm keeping the old one as the vehicle spare. The new one was delivered yesterday and has halved the time it takes to nebulise. I may be able to change from the very fine particle size to a medium particle size nebuliser as well, which will also speed things up. (The bit everyone thinks of as a nebuliser is actually just a compressor pump, the nebuliser is the part you put the liquid drugs into for inhalation. )
Fortunately it had good quality medical grade distilled water in it so no mineral deposits to worry about and when I opened it because it’s so well sealed by silicone gaskets minimal water evaporation had taken place, that allowed gentle manual drying before the heat 👍

I reassembled it this morning after posting about it as honestly I’d been avoiding finding out the outcome and to my great joy it appears to be working well 💃👏

This is not the first time the heated airer has saved wet electrical items, it seems to be just the right temp for fast evaporation without causing any damage. Two phones, a battery pack that had been left out in heavy rain, a digital watch and an ipad all rescued by the heated airer!

I was glad someone requested I posted a vid of me removing the noise abatement foam a while back * because its a complicated little thing that has to be reassembled in a precise order and after two weeks on the airer I couldn‘t remember how it went back together 🤪😆

*Just under two years ago now Philips announced that anyone using their CPAP machines should cease immediately as the foam they used is carcinogenic and degrading, meaning little pieces of this toxic foam were being forced into your lungs under pressure, plus it’s been giving off VOC’s right from the outset! They replaced my main machine about six months ago but the travel version still no news!

The thing that disgusted me most was they clearly knew about this sometime before they announced it because they’d been working on stockpiling another identical version for a year before. They also said anyone who removed the foam themselves would invalidate the warranty!!

Glad I ignored them, didn’t fancy inhaling toxic foam for a year and half while they tried to replace millions of cpap machines (they estimate 4-6 million machines but Philips are pretending they don’t know how many they've sold).
I also had the symptoms, sore eyes after use, developed a cough and started to have shortness of breath, I thought i was developing asthma.
Removed the foam and it stopped!

It’s our anniversary today (33 years), so apart from work, we may go out to supper tonight, depending on how MrsT’s weigh-in goes. Still waiting results from that.

Planning on taking a long lunch to buy the last of the flowers to plant. That’s all the excitement around here.

Got called at 3AM this morning (for a task that didn’t have to be done until 8AM 🙄 ), so I’m grumpy and tired today.

It’s our anniversary today (33 years), so apart from work, we may go out to supper tonight, depending on how MrsT’s weigh-in goes. Still waiting results from that.

Planning on taking a long lunch to buy the last of the flowers to plant. That’s all the excitement around here.

Got called at 3AM this morning (for a task that didn’t have to be done until 8AM 🙄 ), so I’m grumpy and tired today.
Happy anniversary!!!

Happy anniversary!!!
Thanks!

And just for those keeping score since I joined in 2019, I got MrsT a lovely card and two fancy gourmet desserts from the posh bakery, and I got…

IMG_4418.gif

So I’m 0-4! 🤔

Thanks!

And just for those keeping score since I joined in 2019, I got MrsT a lovely card and two fancy gourmet desserts from the posh bakery, and I got…

View attachment 100193

So I’m 0-4! 🤔

My ex-wife got flowers, dinner out, plus diamonds and sapphires on anniversaries. She liked to point out that I got to share dinner, and another year with her.

CD

My SIL is feeling better today so she is cooking me breakfast and we are going out later to an Asian store to pick up sushi rice and sushi grade fish (salmon and/or tuna) to make some hand-rolls. I have wasabi, soy sauce, nori and veggies on hand already.

Back
Top Bottom