Plans for today (2024)

I got dragged into the Cubs when I was small but managed to avoid Scouts. Avoided the CCF like the plague. Not even faintly interested in anything military. I suppose I could have used the excuse that I played the piano and might damage my hands, but I played cricket and rugby, so that argument was a non-starter.
"Children's Hour"was on the BBC and I can't actually remember anything of it, so it must have been really dire. I do remember Tom & Jerry cartoons at 5.40pm exactly, just a bit before the 6 o'clock News. Then we had the Lone Ranger, El Zorro, the Dukes of Hazzard, The Fonz and Napoleon Solo. That was about it.
No wonder I'm not a TV fan. Much rather curl up with a good book!

How did that go?
I’m just sitting down to recap:

Well, my first annoyance was, “Who has a frigging cookout at 11AM on a Saturday?”

We’d have had to have left the house at 9:30AM to make that time, so…no breakfast, then? We do not skip weekend breakfasts for anyone or anything (“Hold your horses there, Jesus, the bacon’s just about done…can you do your apocalypse thing in, say, an hour? There’s a good fellow!”) - it’s our favorite meal!

I let them know we wouldn’t be there until 12:30PM-1PM, so of course, that meant when we’d arrived, all the food had been picked over and had been sitting out and gotten runny, and he’d, for whatever reason, had grilled all the burgers, brats, and dogs in one massive grilling, so all of that was cold and old.

That made me rushed to get over there, and then super-rushed to try and fix ourselves plates while things were halfway edible, plus get our stuff set out, so yes, I was a bit irritated at the whole thing, but not my house, not my rules.

Visiting went fine, though my sister can be a lot to take in - one brother, Dean, commented that he’d had to turn his hearing aid down to its minimum because she was so loud and…enthusiastic with everything. She really can’t help it, no more than any of us can change our personalities much, but she’s a lot to put up with, and with all her brothers there, she was really overstimulated, sort of like one of those little tree monkeys who’d just found a gallon of coffee, a bucket of speed, and five pounds of cocaine.

All that means it really wasn’t much of a visit - we got there about 12:45PM, and by 3PM, we’d already left and headed up to look in on my folks, which (and yes, I know it sounds bad) is pointless, because they don’t know me, and they’re not really the same people I knew, so I’m not getting much out of it and (more importantly) neither are they. Dad slept the entire time, and it was pretty obvious Mom found us to be intrusive, in a “Who are these people and why are they in my room?” way - obviously, that’s where I get my social anxieties from. :laugh:

One funny bit - we’d fixed them a plate of some things from the cookout, and I had to walk back down to one of the entertaining rooms to get some plastic forks, which meant going through the day room, where a lot of the residents were sleeping or watching TV.

“Young man, young man,” one very aged woman warbled as I walked past, “Kin y’all hep me?”

“Sure, whaddya need?”

“Wheel me ‘way from ‘ese people, they all’re hurtin’ mah feelin’s!”

“Well, that’s no good, here we go…,” and I pushed further out by the nurses’ station.

“How’s that?”

“Thank ya, honey, it’s allllllll right. ‘Em’uns was scarin’ me somethin’ awful!”

🤷‍♂️

That was about it.

I’m just sitting down to recap:

Well, my first annoyance was, “Who has a frigging cookout at 11AM on a Saturday?”

We’d have had to have left the house at 9:30AM to make that time, so…no breakfast, then? We do not skip weekend breakfasts for anyone or anything (“Hold your horses there, Jesus, the bacon’s just about done…can you do your apocalypse thing in, say, an hour? There’s a good fellow!”) - it’s our favorite meal!

I let them know we wouldn’t be there until 12:30PM-1PM, so of course, that meant when we’d arrived, all the food had been picked over and had been sitting out and gotten runny, and he’d, for whatever reason, had grilled all the burgers, brats, and dogs in one massive grilling, so all of that was cold and old.

That made me rushed to get over there, and then super-rushed to try and fix ourselves plates while things were halfway edible, plus get our stuff set out, so yes, I was a bit irritated at the whole thing, but not my house, not my rules.

Visiting went fine, though my sister can be a lot to take in - one brother, Dean, commented that he’d had to turn his hearing aid down to its minimum because she was so loud and…enthusiastic with everything. She really can’t help it, no more than any of us can change our personalities much, but she’s a lot to put up with, and with all her brothers there, she was really overstimulated, sort of like one of those little tree monkeys who’d just found a gallon of coffee, a bucket of speed, and five pounds of cocaine.

All that means it really wasn’t much of a visit - we got there about 12:45PM, and by 3PM, we’d already left and headed up to look in on my folks, which (and yes, I know it sounds bad) is pointless, because they don’t know me, and they’re not really the same people I knew, so I’m not getting much out of it and (more importantly) neither are they. Dad slept the entire time, and it was pretty obvious Mom found us to be intrusive, in a “Who are these people and why are they in my room?” way - obviously, that’s where I get my social anxieties from. :laugh:

One funny bit - we’d fixed them a plate of some things from the cookout, and I had to walk back down to one of the entertaining rooms to get some plastic forks, which meant going through the day room, where a lot of the residents were sleeping or watching TV.

“Young man, young man,” one very aged woman warbled as I walked past, “Kin y’all hep me?”

“Sure, whaddya need?”

“Wheel me ‘way from ‘ese people, they all’re hurtin’ mah feelin’s!”

“Well, that’s no good, here we go…,” and I pushed further out by the nurses’ station.

“How’s that?”

“Thank ya, honey, it’s allllllll right. ‘Em’uns was scarin’ me somethin’ awful!”

🤷‍♂️

That was about it.
They don't have an emoji that fits your situation. Not sure whether to laugh or cry. Really sad about the folks and the lady in the wheelchair.

Yeah I'd have probably had to decline the flipping whole cookout thing, though I know you were bringing food, or just eaten a big enough breakfast to not eat the cold cookout offerings. Pretty ridiculous, 11:00 a.m. A good host would be more flexible and wait for the last guests (even if family) to arrive before cooking the last batch. Most cookouts are like 2 or 3 pm anyway. Was he using a gas grill or charcoal?

What did they think about your appetizer and dessert?

They don't have an emoji that fits your situation. Not sure whether to laugh or cry.
I just roll with it, and TBH, I was also still butthurt from having been the one who started the whole get-together going, only to have it taken over, and then changed from breakfast to lunch to cookout.

Part of that was because, breakfast or lunch, we would have met halfway, but cookout meant I had to go all the way over there, and it didn’t seem to occur to anyone that I was having to do that.

Plus, and you have to drive it to fully appreciate it - this is not 75 minutes sailing unencumbered down the interstate, or casually gallivanting along through vistas of farmland.

This is 75 minutes of grueling, pothole-filled, railroad-crossing-littered, dump trunk-following traveling, as only the Rust Belt can provide, with an average speed of 40mph if we’re lucky, and the last bit of farmland…you’re guaranteed to change out the crawling, rock-spewing dump truck for a crawling, rock-spewing tractor or corn picker.

It is, without a doubt, the most miserable drive I’ve ever made, and what’s worse, there are about five ways to get over there, and one’s as bad as the other, which is why I’m inclined to never go over there again.

Really sad about the folks and the lady in the wheelchair.
I’m sure whatever was bothering her was in her head, because everyone around her was either sleeping or zombie-watching the TV (Hallmark Channel, so I kinda wanted to stay! :laugh: ).

Most cookouts are like 2 or 3 pm anyway.
The first thing I said to the first person I saw was, “Who in the 🤬 has a 🤬 cookout at 11 in the 🤬 morning?!” - and she agreed with me, as did two of my brothers! :laugh:

Was he using a gas grill or charcoal?
Gas.

What did they think about your appetizer and dessert?
Dessert, no. Appetizer, yes. More on those later in the challenge topic.

One problem was, though…everyone was full by the time we got there. No one had much room for anything else.

First part of the day completed as planned.
Quick bit to eat for breakfast (cheese sandwich). Off to the kitchen to give each cook an assignment. Made some ginger/garlic paste, which is far easier than having to chop a small piece of ginger and 3-4 cloves for each dish; a tsp or two of the paste, and that's that.
Went over what we did yesterday, including the Indian chicken kababs we're going to put on the menu for starters. First ones were 80 gms each - far too large, so we did two @ 50 gms, made them into sausage shapes (instead of flattened) and they look better. Boss agreed. Good spicing, an issue with the cooking time (too long, they become a bit rubbery) so we need to address that. The shrikhand (yoghurt based dessert, with toasted almonds, pistachios and a small amount of diced pineapple) - unbelievably good! Just got to think of a creative presentation.
Left the girls with their assignments and pushed off. They have to learn how to cook these dishes on their own, so I left them with my recipes, all the ingredients, and good luck. It will also be a test of how well I wrote the recipes, whether the instructions are clear or not.
Back to the kitchen in two hours to see how they did.
Current temperature 33C. Supposedly it's going to rain today, in which case, 33C and 100% humidity...

I just roll with it, and TBH, I was also still butthurt from having been the one who started the whole get-together going, only to have it taken over, and then changed from breakfast to lunch to cookout.

Part of that was because, breakfast or lunch, we would have met halfway, but cookout meant I had to go all the way over there, and it didn’t seem to occur to anyone that I was having to do that.

Plus, and you have to drive it to fully appreciate it - this is not 75 minutes sailing unencumbered down the interstate, or casually gallivanting along through vistas of farmland.

This is 75 minutes of grueling, pothole-filled, railroad-crossing-littered, dump trunk-following traveling, as only the Rust Belt can provide, with an average speed of 40mph if we’re lucky, and the last bit of farmland…you’re guaranteed to change out the crawling, rock-spewing dump truck for a crawling, rock-spewing tractor or corn picker.

It is, without a doubt, the most miserable drive I’ve ever made, and what’s worse, there are about five ways to get over there, and one’s as bad as the other, which is why I’m inclined to never go over there again.

I’m sure whatever was bothering her was in her head, because everyone around her was either sleeping or zombie-watching the TV (Hallmark Channel, so I kinda wanted to stay! :laugh: ).

The first thing I said to the first person I saw was, “Who in the 🤬 has a 🤬 cookout at 11 in the 🤬 morning?!” - and she agreed with me, as did two of my brothers! :laugh:

Gas.

Dessert, no. Appetizer, yes. More on those later in the challenge topic.

One problem was, though…everyone was full by the time we got there. No one had much room for anything else.
Well that sucks. And yeah, I do completely understand the pothole ridden miserable bumpy roads with pebbles being hurled by the dump truck ahead of me (I have had 2 windshields replaced in 25 years because of this). But, never for an entire 75 minutes. Knowing that going in would have made me balk for sure.

And if he was using charcoal he would have had an excuse for cooking everything all at once.

I love the Hallmark Channel, LOL. I used to sit around and watch it with my late aunt when I visited her in Texas.

Went to the barn this morning (I normally go on Saturdays but I was at a friend’s birthday party last night), had a great lesson on the pony. I’m finally getting back into jumping teeny-tiny little baby jumps (for the first time since before I broke my ankle) which feels great.

Husband is going to the movies tonight with a coworker, so I am planning to have a Me Party -I’m getting my hair done, and then I’ll order in, have some snacks, and hang out with the cats. Whee!

Went to the barn this morning (I normally go on Saturdays but I was at a friend’s birthday party last night), had a great lesson on the pony. I’m finally getting back into jumping teeny-tiny little baby jumps (for the first time since before I broke my ankle) which feels great.

Husband is going to the movies tonight with a coworker, so I am planning to have a Me Party -I’m getting my hair done, and then I’ll order in, have some snacks, and hang out with the cats. Whee!
Love it, a Me Party, where do I sign? 😂

(I have had 2 windshields replaced in 25 years because of this)
We're on our 4th in 8 years because of dirt roads, but we do a lot of dirt/gravel roads and the insurance industry expect it. Both vehicles currently have multiple repaired chips in the windscreens.

Back
Top Bottom