Recipe Poached Eggs with Yogurt

cookieee

Local time
5:23 AM
Poached Eggs with Yogurt (Oeufs Poches Au Yaourt)

6 eggs
1 TB. vinegar
1 pint plain yogurt
freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
1 TB. melted butter and paprika for garnish

Poach eggs in water to cover to which 1 TB. vinegar has been added, about 3 minutes. Be careful not to boil. Remove eggs carefully. Trim whites if necessary. Beat together the yogurt, pepper and salt. Place 2 eggs each in 3 ramekins or small individual platters and cover eggs with yogurt. Pour melted butter over eggs and sprinkle with paprika. Serves 3

Source: "Great Recipes of the World" mag. Aug./Sept. 1982-Chef Claude Gambin-The Atrium of Le Centre Sheraton-Montreal, Canada

I can imagine that it's very difficult to control the heat to poach eggs without boiling the water. I appreciate that it's ideal to deposit the eggs in the water just prior to it boiling but to keep it at that temperature is well beyond my skills.

4.jpg

Last edited:
Something I do to keep the whites nice and contained is I crack each egg into a small mesh strainer and let the watery part of the white drain off, then slip it into the pot. That's the part of the white that always goes all snaky.

Something I do to keep the whites nice and contained is I crack each egg into a small mesh strainer and let the watery part of the white drain off, then slip it into the pot. That's the part of the white that always goes all snaky.

Yes - I've seen a chef doing that.

Re 'boiling' the water needs to be at a simmer I think.

This recipe is very similar to one I make which I will have to search out.

Place 2 eggs each in 3 ramekins or small individual platters and cover eggs with yogurt. Pour melted butter over eggs and sprinkle with paprika. Serves 3

So the eggs are covered in cold yoghurt. I thought they would be baked...

I guess it would depend on how hot the melted butter is.

I won't be trying this, I like hot eggs, no yoghurt thanks. I love yoghurt, in fact I have some every day.

Russ

I put plain yoghurt on all sorts of things - baked potato, curry etc. I think eggs with yoghurt is fine - but the way I've used it is baked in a ramekin. I can't find my recipe on the forum...

Sounds a bit like oeufs en cocotte, which uses cream instead of yoghurt, but the eggs are cracked raw into the cream and baken in the ramekin, not poached first.

Looks great! I've been working on trying to make Eggs Benedict or better yet, Eggs Florentine, but I don't have the Hollandaise sauce down right yet.

Sometimes I do that, Reuben -- but since they're usually just for me, I don't often bother.

Back
Top Bottom