Recipe Pomegranate Chicken with Sweet Potato and Jalapeño

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:36 AM
This is such an easy dish to make. Just mix the ingredients together and put in the oven. The pomegranate molasses has a delicious sweet and sour flavour, the soy sauce adds depth and the jalapeños add a bit of spicy heat. You could serve this with a crisp green salad on the side.

fullsizeoutput_2a7b.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
4 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in.
1 medium/large sweet potato (approx 400g), peeled and cut into chunks
25 ml light soy sauce
25 ml pomegranate molasses
3 tbsp golden syrup or maple syrup
3 or 4 Jalepeño peppers, sliced into rounds
Thyme sprigs
Pomegranate seeds to sprinkle
Olive oil to drizzle
Salt and pepper

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180 C.
  2. Mix the soy sauce, pomegranate molasses and syrup in a large bowl.
  3. Add the chicken and sweet potato chunks and mix well.
  4. Tip into a baking dish or tray, arranging the chicken, skin side up.
  5. Sprinkle around the Jalapeños and some thyme sprigs.
  6. Season with salt and a good grind of black pepper.
  7. Cook, uncovered for 20 mins and then turn the sweet potatoes in the sauce to ensure they are kept moist.
  8. Bake for a further 20 minutes. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds before serving.

A modest single portion - the recipe makes twice as much as this per single serving:

fullsizeoutput_2a64.jpeg

Last edited:
But the pomegranate molasses is something else - and I'm certain you would like that.
I considered making a pomegranate molasses recipe instead of the pomegranate juice recipe, but I decided otherwise. Making molasses from the syrup seems to be pretty simple, however: just sugar, lemon, and pomegranate juice, heated and reduced.

I considered making a pomegranate molasses recipe instead of the pomegranate juice recipe, but I decided otherwise. Making molasses from the syrup seems to be pretty simple, however: just sugar, lemon, and pomegranate juice, heated and reduced.

I have been looking at recipes for it too. But I can buy it in bottles from the supermarket. Oh dear!

This is such an easy dish to make. Just mix the ingredients together and put in the oven. The pomegranate molasses has a delicious sweet and sour flavour, the soy sauce adds depth and the jalapeños add a bit of spicy heat. You could serve this with a crisp green salad on the side.

There's a lot to be said about easy recipes. Simple sometimes is better than complex. Getting the arils out of the Pomegranate and then the juice separation are the hard parts of recipes using Pomegranate.

I was just thinking about sweet potatoes and yams yesterday and its nice to see sweet potatoes show up in a Pomegranate recipe. Oh and with chicken! When I go grocery shopping, I often pick up some Idaho spuds, yams and sweet potatoes and if I need a hurry up meal, I micro wave nuke one, either a spud, a sweet potato or a yam. I can then cut it in half, add butter or sour cream and maybe cheese before pepper or even cayenne sauce. That can be an instant quickie meal. I can eat microwaved sweet potatoes whole straight out of the microwave, like a snack. Yum. These things I do are a bit simple than your recipe, but you can appreciate how keeping things simple is a blessing.

This is a good entry and I am glad to see that the entries are starting to come in and make me busy at reviewing them. Like The Late Night Gourmet's entry, I am amazed by the combinations. Here you combine Pomegranate with Soy sauce and Jalapenos. Astounding! I just love seeing this kind of creativity and free spirited approach to cooking.

Bravo!

There's a lot to be said about easy recipes. Simple sometimes is better than complex. Getting the arils out of the Pomegranate and then the juice separation are the hard parts of recipes using Pomegranate.

I was just thinking about sweet potatoes and yams yesterday and its nice to see sweet potatoes show up in a Pomegranate recipe. Oh and with chicken! When I go grocery shopping, I often pick up some Idaho spuds, yams and sweet potatoes and if I need a hurry up meal, I micro wave nuke one, either a spud, a sweet potato or a yam. I can then cut it in half, add butter or sour cream and maybe cheese before pepper or even cayenne sauce. That can be an instant quickie meal. I can eat microwaved sweet potatoes whole straight out of the microwave, like a snack. Yum. These things I do are a bit simple than your recipe, but you can appreciate how keeping things simple is a blessing.

This is a good entry and I am glad to see that the entries are starting to come in and make me busy at reviewing them. Like The Late Night Gourmet's entry, I am amazed by the combinations. Here you combine Pomegranate with Soy sauce and Jalapenos. Astounding! I just love seeing this kind of creativity and free spirited approach to cooking.

Bravo!

Thank you! I agree about removing the arils and I did do it myself - but I could have cheated by buying a packet of fresh arils (they sell them in most supermarkets here).

Thank you! I agree about removing the arils and I did do it myself - but I could have cheated by buying a packet of fresh arils (they sell them in most supermarkets here).

I have not seen that here. I've seen bottled Pomegranate juice, but often it is a blend with something else.

Back
Top Bottom