I was surprised I didn't post this one when I made it, which was February of 2017, but I see that this predated my time on this forum (I joined a month later). I took my wife to BLT Steak in Las Vegas to celebrate her birthday in 2017, and they had the best bread we've ever had in our lives. I was amazed later in the meal when the server brought me the recipe. If you want a look at some of the other mind-blowing food we had, check out what I posted a year later when we returned.
This recipe uses the same ingredients, proportions, and directions as the original, but is adapted for cupcake pans (the original was double the quantity, and used a special popover pan). The time for the smaller popovers is less than the 50 minutes for the original, larger popovers. For those who've never made popovers, there is no yeast or baking powder in the recipe: the bread rises entirely as a result of the steam created by evaporating milk.
It's very unusual for me to post a recipe that I didn't modify in some way; downsizing the proportions doesn't quite count. But, it's perfect as-is. I can see this being done with a different cheese, but Gruyere is so amazing for its combination of taste and how it melts.
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups flour
1 cup Gruyere, grated
- Place cupcake pans in the oven. Heat the oven and pans to 350°F
- Heat the milk for 1 minute in the microwave or over low heat in a pan, then set aside. Whisk eggs until frothy and slowly whisk in milk (so as not to cook the eggs). Set the mixture aside.
- Sift the flour with the salt. Slowly add this dry mixture and gently combine until mostly smooth. Once combined, remove the cupcake pans from the oven and spray with non-stick vegetable spray.
- While the batter is still slightly warm or room temperature (definitely not cool), fill each cupcake cup 3/4 full. Top each cup with about 1 tablespoon of grated Gruyere.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, rotating pans 1/2 turn halfway through baking. Remove from oven, remove from pan, and serve immediately.