Pork-And-Apple Pie
Makes one 8"-9" pie

Ingredients

2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Salt and pepper to season the pork
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
2 cups potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch (about 3 smallish potatoes)
3 medium apples, peeled, cored and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon AP flour
1 egg

Pie dough for a two-crust 8-or-9-inch pie, homemade or store-bought

Directions

Heat 1 tablespoon each of the butter and oil in a large sauté pan. Season the pork pieces generously with salt and pepper and then brown them in batches. Remove them to a bowl once browned.

Add the remaining butter and oil to the pan and sauté the onions. Once they have softened a bit, add the potato slices and continue to sauté and stir for a few minutes.

Add the apples and sauté and stir for a few more minutes. Stir in the sugar, salt, cayenne and flour.

Add the wine and cook until the mixture begins to thicken a bit. Now add the pork pieces and mix thoroughly.

Place bottom pie crust in pie pan and shape to fit. Spoon filling into crust, then top with second crust and seal the edge. Cut steam vents in top of pie.

Beat egg, then brush over pie crust. Place pie on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbling. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Recipe filling courtesy of Food52, but I chose to make it as a two-crust pie instead of as a single-crust puff pastry pie.

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Apples

Last edited:
This is almost a Fidget Pie - which is a Shropshire speciality (little known in the rest of the UK). Fidget Pie layers potatoes and bacon.
The Food52 site labels it "Cheshire (like) Pork And Apple Pie." Whatever one chooses to call it, it's very tasty. 🥧

This looks so, so good. How was it? I imagine the pork was nice and juicy: the exterior of the pork pieces are smartly browned, leaving them to finish cooking as the pie bakes.
It was excellent, thanks. I was a little concerned about the pork, because it was Kroger pork, and on special at that, and I've had hit-or-miss luck with their pork, but this one was a hit - very tender.

What really made it was the apple. That just goes so well with pork anyway, but all that time baking, it really sweetened things up, with just that little bit of almost-sour taste from the wine - for something with just a few ingredients, it produced quite a complex flavor.

All of that was made better by how easy the whole thing was. This is definitely a keeper, and simple enough to do on a weeknight, or double (or triple) the filling and freeze it to make pies all winter long.

I have to admit, I am not familiar with "two-crust" pies. Does that come from any particular culture?

A lot of fruit pies are two-crust pies, meaning too and bottom crusts. Did you mean your just not familiar with two-crust savory pies?

Back
Top Bottom