Recipe Posole

I've never bought dried hominy, just tinned, but I like them both. One's just made from white corn, the other yellow. Either is fine.

I would buy the tinned but its stupid expensive on Amazon here. Do I need to soak the dried one, as you would with dried beans?

I prefer white, but it's just a preference. Yes, you have to soak and cook like dried beans.

You don't really need to smoke your pork butt/shoulder for posole. You can braise it. The key is low and slow, so it falls apart. If you braise it, cut it up and sear it first. Then put it in a dutch oven and braise it in the oven or on the stovetop -- whatever you usually do to braise meat.

Hominy is available in every store in Texas, and you can make it from dried corn, but it is a long and tedious process. Maybe you can find it online.

Posole is a good cold weather soup. It is very filling. As you can tell by the spices, it has a pretty complex flavor. You can make it without hot sauce, and put a variety of hot sauces on the table for everyone to decide how hot they want it.

When I make chili or gumbo or pozole, I go on mild side, and put a nice selection of hot sauces on the serving table. People appreciate that.

CD

Great explanation for someone that has never used or eaten it. I'll look on the net as well. :)

Russ

I have never used dried hominy. It is abundant in cans here. Store brands run about 78-cents a can, and brand names cost about a dollar more.

CD

The white might be a tiny bit sweeter and more mellow tasting maybe? Not really sure as I grew up eating white and it's been a LONG time since I had yellow. Like I wrote, it's a personal preference thing.

Back
Top Bottom