Recipe Potato Salad with Egg, Anchovy, Pickled Lemon and Parsley

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:26 AM
You really don’t need mayonnaise for this potato salad. The sour tang of pickled lemon and the deep umami of the anchovy are lifted by the freshness of the parsley. All that is needed is some good olive oil to bring all the ingredients together. The chilli flakes are optional but add piquancy. For this recipe I used hard boiled eggs steeped in a turmeric/water solution overnight to colour them yellow but ordinary hard-boiled eggs will be just as good.

fullsizeoutput_47a9.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
225g waxy new potatoes, boiled and cut into chunks
1 or 2 hard boiled eggs cut into chunks
1 tbsp finely chopped pickled lemon
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
4 finely chopped anchovy fillets
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Chilli flakes (optional)

Method
Mix everything together in a bowl. Sprinkle with chilli flakes if using.

fullsizeoutput_47a8.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice! This is something that can be easily adapted to rutabagas (swede) and a variety of other root vegetables. Now, is pickled lemon = preserved lemon? I first thought those big yellow things were that, but now I see that those are the eggs.

Yes - preserved lemons. The lemons are chopped finely. Maybe I should amend it to say preserved lemon.

Last edited:
You really don’t need mayonnaise for this potato salad. The sour tang of pickled lemon and the deep umami of the anchovy are lifted by the freshness of the parsley. All that is needed is some good olive oil to bring all the ingredients together. The chilli flakes are optional but add piquancy. For this recipe I used hard boiled eggs steeped in a turmeric/water solution overnight to colour them yellow but ordinary hard-boiled eggs will be just as good.

View attachment 27870

Ingredients (serves 2)
225g waxy new potatoes, boiled and cut into chunks
1 or 2 hard boiled eggs cut into chunks
1 tbsp finely chopped pickled lemon
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
4 finely chopped anchovy fillets
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Chilli flakes (optional)

Method
Mix everything together in a bowl. Sprinkle with chilli flakes if using.

View attachment 27869
Hey...I was going to make this for my next parsley recipe. :mad:
Turnabout is fair play I guess. I beat @morning glory to the Cod en Papillote recipe earlier in the contest.

Back
Top Bottom