Recipe Potted Beer And Cheddar (aka Pub Cheese)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
11:58 AM
POTTED BEER AND CHEDDAR (AKA PUB CHEESE)
Makes about 3 cups

Ingredients
8oz cream cheese, softened
4 TB unsalted butter, softened
4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 lb)
1 TB minced fresh chives
1 TB chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2-3 drops hot pepper sauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup flat beer

Directions
With electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter until well blended. Mix in cheese.

Mix in all remaining ingredients except beer. Add enough beer to make spread of desired consistency (mixture will thicken further after chilling).

Pack into earthenware crock or other ceramic dish; cover and refrigerate for several hours to allow flavors to blend. Serve with apple slices and dark rye bread or crackers.

Spread can be made several weeks in advance.

NOTE: I used a mix of sharp cheddar (yellow), mature English cheddar (white), and smoked cheddar (white). For the beer, I used Paulaner Munich lager. I used my stand mixer instead of a handheld electric mixer.

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Cheddar cheese

Recipe courtesy of Irish Pub Cooking, Publications International, Ltd

Interesting, but are you sure this is authentic?

This is a very un-Irish sounding recipe to me. Anything they have in Ireland you would tend to find equivalents in Wales, Scotland and Western English counties, and there is nothing like this.

I will give it a go though.

Interesting, but are you sure this is authentic?

This is a very un-Irish sounding recipe to me. Anything they have in Ireland you would tend to find equivalents in Wales, Scotland and Western English counties, and there is nothing like this.

I will give it a go though.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's not Irish at all, but it's just a cheese spread - like a cheese ball, but pressed into a crock.

The cookbook is one of those "brand names" cookbooks that I found in a discount bin for about $2, where a lot of the ingredients are brand names of companies that paid to be in the book, and it's written for the US market, that's for sure, because the cheese brand is Cabot (Vermont, I think) and all the other products are American products.

Pub cheese is very common here, though:

Pub cheese - Wikipedia

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not Irish at all, but it's just a cheese spread - like a cheese ball, but pressed into a crock.

Oh my. You’ve offended the Irish here, and the Welsh with another one of your recipes. I look forward to your take on cheddar cheese haggis to see how the Scots react.

Otherwise, I’d like this recipe. Horseradish and Worcestershire sauce are terrific compliments for cheese.

Back
Top Bottom