Recipe Prosciutto, Watermelon and Hearts of Palm

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:38 PM
Another savoury melon recipe. I always forget how delicious (and low calorie) hearts of palm are. Here, I can buy them easily in tins and they are brilliant in salad. Anyway, I found a tin on the cupboard and got inspired. Here is the result:

IMGP0558.jpg

Photographed today in natural light

Ingredients

Prosciutto ham or similar
Watermelon, chopped into chunks
Hearts of palm, cut into chunky discs
Green salad leaves (I used rocket, watercress and spinach)
Black onion seeds and pumpkin seeds to garnish
Lime juice, olive oil, salt

Method

Make a salad dressing by whisking together 3 parts olive oil to 1 part lime juice, with salt to taste.
Assemble ingredients and mix in the dressing.

IMGP0525.jpg

Last edited:
I love recipes like this that have a lot of vibrant tastes and textures. I actually had to look up what hearts of palm were online - I don't think I've ever had them! I had to laugh though at the description: "also called palm heart, chonta, palmito, palm cabbage, swamp cabbage, or burglar's thigh"

Where on earth did they get those last two names?!? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Is this the winner of the Challenge here @morning glory? It sure is pretty to look at and we all know how I love a pretty picture. I saw hearts and rockets and got a little scared.:happy: Seriously though, I had to Google both rockets and hearts of palm. First I've heard of both.

Is this the winner of the Challenge here @morning glory? It sure is pretty to look at and we all know how I love a pretty picture. I saw hearts and rockets and got a little scared.:happy: Seriously though, I had to Google both rockets and hearts of palm. First I've heard of both.
Rocket is called Arugula in America. Hearts of Palm are widely available in the US in tins and I would imagine you could get them in Barbados. If the Vegetarian Times is to be believed then they are a staple food in the Caribbean! I love them and they are super low calorie!
Hearts of Palm and Avocado Salad
This salad includes two staples of the Caribbean isles— avocado and hearts of palm, whose delicate flavors complement each other well.
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/hearts-of-palm-and-avocado-salad/

Rocket is called Arugula in America. Hearts of Palm are widely available in the US in tins and I would imagine you could get them in Barbados. If the Vegetarian Times is to be believed then they are a staple food in the Caribbean! I love them and they are super low calorie!

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/hearts-of-palm-and-avocado-salad/
I'll have to search for them when I do get out. Maybe @Caribbean girl can let me know if she's ever seen any around here but I for one hadn't even heard of either of them until now.

Back
Top Bottom