Pumpkin/squash?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian and Vegan' started by rascal, Jun 12, 2019 at 1:12 AM.

1. rascal

rascal Über Member

we get both here, when I was in the uk someone told me you guys don't eat pumpkin or squash as its mainly a crop grown to feed to cattle etc. here in nz it a loved vegetable cooked in roasts. Or even mashed with other vegetables. I see mg just made a meal with it so it kinda puts the scrap food out of it. So do you all eat it??

Russ

2. Backbay

Backbay Regular Member

I love squash - acorn, butternut, spaghetti. Usually baked whole in oven or when short on time I nuke it. One time, I nuked it too long and it exploded in the microwave.. LOL.. what a mess.

After cooking usually just a few dollops of butter and a shake or two of salt. I could eat it every day.

3. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

We do have squash - many varieties (butternut is the most commonly available), but rarely is pumpkin available other than at halloween.

I love squash. A favourite autumn lunch for me is half a roast acorn squash drizzled with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and chilli flakes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 2:39 AM
  4. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I like them both! mainly for pies. Butternut squash, I love to eat as a vegetable!! :wink:

5. rascal

rascal Über Member

Butternut pumpkins my all time fave.

Russ

6. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

We do get lots of squash but I have a feeling this is a relatively recent thing because I never had it or saw it at all as a kid and I don't remember ever cooking with it it seeing it in the shops until maybe 20/25 years ago. That is, apart from vegetable marrow (which I love). We had that a lot when I was a kid.

In remember the first time I cooked squash was in London - it was spaghetti squash and it came from a supermarket which stocked a lot of exotic vegetables.

Any other (elderly) Brits remember if they had squash as a kid? @Yorky?

7. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

Less of the "elderly"!

I remember swede and turnips but not squash. We have squash here but it's not a favourite of mine.

8. CraigC

CraigC Über Member

9. morning glory

How should I describe it? :happy:

rascal likes this.
  10. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

Maturing wisely.

Or just "old".

I have now been diagnosed with fullritis.

Six months ago it was only 'arfritis.

rascal and morning glory like this.
  11. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

More mature?

rascal and morning glory like this.
  12. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

13. morning glory

Sounds like cheese. :laugh:

rascal and medtran49 like this.
  14. The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet Über Member

I also like different types of squash.

In the States, we normally don't think about pumpkins until October. Even then, my use of pumpkin is more of a short-term novelty to make a pie or add a different flavor or color to a pasta.

rascal likes this.
  15. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I like sweet potatoes as well, but I hate that awful stringy matter!! So I run them through the blender to get rid of the crap!! :wink:

rascal likes this.