Pumpkin/squash?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:28 PM
we get both here, when I was in the uk someone told me you guys don't eat pumpkin or squash as its mainly a crop grown to feed to cattle etc. here in nz it a loved vegetable cooked in roasts. Or even mashed with other vegetables. I see mg just made a meal with it so it kinda puts the scrap food out of it. So do you all eat it??

Russ

I love squash - acorn, butternut, spaghetti. Usually baked whole in oven or when short on time I nuke it. One time, I nuked it too long and it exploded in the microwave.. LOL.. what a mess.

After cooking usually just a few dollops of butter and a shake or two of salt. I could eat it every day.

we get both here, when I was in the uk someone told me you guys don't eat pumpkin or squash as its mainly a crop grown to feed to cattle etc. here in nz it a loved vegetable cooked in roasts. Or even mashed with other vegetables. I see mg just made a meal with it so it kinda puts the scrap food out of it. So do you all eat it??

Russ

We do have squash - many varieties (butternut is the most commonly available), but rarely is pumpkin available other than at halloween.

I love squash. A favourite autumn lunch for me is half a roast acorn squash drizzled with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and chilli flakes.

Last edited:
we get both here, when I was in the uk someone told me you guys don't eat pumpkin or squash

We do get lots of squash but I have a feeling this is a relatively recent thing because I never had it or saw it at all as a kid and I don't remember ever cooking with it it seeing it in the shops until maybe 20/25 years ago. That is, apart from vegetable marrow (which I love). We had that a lot when I was a kid.

In remember the first time I cooked squash was in London - it was spaghetti squash and it came from a supermarket which stocked a lot of exotic vegetables.

Any other (elderly) Brits remember if they had squash as a kid? @Yorky?

I also like different types of squash.

In the States, we normally don't think about pumpkins until October. Even then, my use of pumpkin is more of a short-term novelty to make a pie or add a different flavor or color to a pasta.

I like sweet potatoes as well, but I hate that awful stringy matter!! So I run them through the blender to get rid of the crap!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom