medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:11 AM
full.jpg

This is a very quick recipe, minimal prep and fast cooking, but a big flavor punch.

It can be made ovo/lacto vegetarian by eliminating the shrimp and adding an extra egg or 2.

The lower spicy ingredient amounts are comfortable for me to eat. The higher amounts are just below my tolerance but okay for my chili head hubby so use accordingly.

Also, if you eliminate the shrimp and use peanuts, it's a very, very budget friendly meal.

Serves 2 to 3, up to 4 if light eaters.

10 oz. lo mein noodles
4 Tbsp butter
3/8 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
12 (or more) medium large shrimp, shelled and tailed
3 large eggs
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
3-4 Tbsp sriracha
Large handful fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped, then toasted cashews, peanuts or macadamia nuts

Start a large pot of water boiling for noodles. Once boiling, add salt and noodles, cooking as directed on package. Drain in a colander when done.

Meanwhile, for the sauce, mix the brown sugar, tamari or soy sauce, crushed red pepper flakes, and sriracha together in a small bowl. Set aside.

In another small bowl, whip the eggs with a fork until well blended.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add shrimp, cook for a minute or so then add the eggs and stir until eggs and shrimp are almost done. Add the sauce ingredients and mix well. Remove from heat and stir in noodles. Serve garnished with cilantro, green onions and nuts.

Last edited:
View attachment 75637

This is a very quick recipe, minimal prep and fast cooking, but a big flavor punch.

It can be made ovo/lacto vegetarian by eliminating the shrimp and adding an extra egg or 2.

The lower spicy ingredient amounts are comfortable for me to eat. The higher amounts are just below my tolerance but okay for my chili head hubby so use accordingly.

Also, if you eliminate the shrimp and use peanuts, it's a very, very budget friendly meal.

Serves 2 to 3, up to 4 if light eaters.

10 oz. lo mein noodles
4 Tbsp butter
3/8 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
12 (or more) medium large shrimp, shelled and tailed
3 large eggs
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
3-4 Tbsp sriracha
Large handful fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped, then toasted cashews, peanuts or macadamia nuts

Start a large pot of water boiling for noodles. Once boiling, add salt and noodles, cooking as directed on package. Drain in a colander when done.

Meanwhile, for the sauce, mix the brown sugar, tamari or soy sauce, and sriracha together in a small bowl. Set aside.

In another small bowl, whip the eggs with a fork until well blended.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add shrimp, cook for a minute or so then add the eggs and stir until eggs and shrimp are almost done. Add the sauce ingredients and mix well. Remove from heat and stir in noodles. Serve garnished with cilantro, green onions and nuts.
:wave:
I'll be make this for lunch I think tomorrow!
Mahalo medtran49

I have some hot red peppers in my vegetable bin in the refrigerator that I harvested from my garden before we tore the plants out a few weeks back. I wonder if I could sub some of those diced to sauté with the shrimp instead of adding the red pepper flake? I have been trying to find ways to use them up before they go bad. Also was thinking I could add some toasted sesame seeds for a finish...

I have some hot red peppers in my vegetable bin in the refrigerator that I harvested from my garden before we tore the plants out a few weeks back. I wonder if I could sub some of those diced to sauté with the shrimp instead of adding the red pepper flake? I have been trying to find ways to use them up before they go bad. Also was thinking I could add some toasted sesame seeds for a finish...
Ooh, that sounds wonderful!

I'm sure you could. Not that I wish to usurp medtran49's view on this. Slice or chop finely I'd say.

I'm sure you could. Not that I wish to usurp medtran49's view on this. Slice or chop finely I'd say.
I think that would be fine.

Ya learn something new every day!
Had to look that one up... great word! Now I've got to think of how to use it in a conversation.

I wish I had seen this yesterday! I saw chopsticks, and immediately thought that I wanted to make something to put them to work. I had rice and chicken, but I wasn't too excited about the ideas that I came up with in the 30 seconds or so that I thought about it. So, I had a salad. But this, with chicken instead of shrimp, would have been a nice dinner. Maybe tonight!

I just realized I forgot to add the red pepper flakes in with the sauce mix so if it's possible for a mod to do that would much appreciate!

Can't find sriracha around here.
:(

Can't find sriracha around here.
:(

Where do you live? It seems that sriracha has made its way into less exotic outlets. If you're near a Kroger, you're nearer to sriracha than you realize:
1692388345696.png

I thought Kroger was everywhere, in the USA, but it's not. But, I do know that Kroger in Nebraska is called Baker's, and it has identical merchandise (including many with the Kroger label):

1692388580253.png

Underwood Ranches, the former pepper supplier to Huy Fong Foods, who got stiffed by Huy Fong, came out with their own sriracha sauce. I haven't looked for it in stores, yet, but I've seen it sold online, including Amazon.

1692388825835.png

Apparently, Huy Fong Foods placed an order for millions of dollars in peppers from Underwood, and then found cheaper peppers in Mexico, and left Underwood twisting in the wind. I believe it cost Huy Fong Foods something like $23-million in court. To make matters worse, a drought in Mexico has left Huy Fong with a major shortage of peppers, and Underwood doesn't want to do business with Huy Fong Foods anymore.

CD

Back
Top Bottom