Recipe Raw Vegan Pizza With Eggplant Crust

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
8:30 AM
Here’s an interesting take on pizza – raw vegan style!. I

If you only eat a couple of these it’ll fit right into your low fat diet. If you want to eat a few more, omit the cashew cheese and make a tomato sauce instead.

The Pizza Crust and Sauce
This pizza crust uses about 1/2 large eggplant and makes about 8-9 mini pizzas. It’s enough for two servings.

Ingredients:
– 1/2 large eggplant
– 1 mushroom
– 1/4 cup red onion
– 1 garlic clove
– 3 sprigs fresh dill
– 4 Campari tomatoes (or 2 plum tomatoes)

Directions:
  • The first step is to make the crust by removing the skin from the eggplant and slicing 10 pieces about 1/8 inch thick using a knife or a mandolin slicer.
  • Next, mix all the other ingredients except for the eggplant together in a blender or small food processor and process until smooth. Place the eggplant slices in a large bowl (you can overlap them) and pour the mix over them. Make sure both sides of the eggplant have sauce on them. Marinate in the refrigerator for about one hour.
  • After the eggplant has marinated, remove the the slices from the refrigerator and place them in the dehydrator on teflex sheets or parchment paper and set to 115 degrees Fahrenheit. Be sure to cover the entire surface of the eggplant with the marinade sauce. Save a little of the sauce for applying it to the other side later. Dehydrate for one hour*. Flip the eggplant crust over and add the rest of the sauce to the other side and dehydrate for another 6 hours. You’ll want to rotate the trays after about 4 hours so they dehydrate evenly.
  • The crust is done when it is crispy. If you’re not going to eat it right away, make sure you put it into the refrigerator so that it stays crispy, otherwise,
  • the crust will be slightly leathery, which isn’t bad at all and you might prefer it this way.

* Depending on the make and model of your dehydrator, drying times will vary. I recommend using an Excalibur dehydrator set to about 118 degrees Fahrenheit.

The Pizza “Cheese”
This is a cashew nut-based cheese. It’s easier to make up a batch than to only make two servings for this recipe. You can store the rest of it in the refrigerator to use when you make more pizzas or other raw meals within the next 3 days.

Ingredients:
– 1 cup soaked cashews
– 1/3 cup filtered water
– dash of salt
– 2 tablespoons cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
– juice from one limes

Directions:
  • Soak the cashews for 8 hours. Put all the ingredients in the food processor except for the water. Mix for a couple of seconds, then begin adding the water. Start with half of the water, blend, then test the consistency. You don’t want to add too much water and make the cheese too runny.
  • Consider my cheese done when it is just creamy enough that when some is put on a spoon and turned it sideways, it slowly falls off. You can make it as creamy, smooth, thick or thin as you want. Add more water to make it thinner and creamier, less water to make it thicker with more body.
  • If you will not be eating it right away, make it extra creamy as it will thicken up in the refrigerator.

Assembling The Pizza
You can add any toppings you like, but I typically start by spreading a thin layer of cashew cheese on the eggplant crust, then add a couple of thinly sliced pieces of avocado. Add a layer of thinly sliced mushrooms and top it off with a sun-dried tomato.

Eat and enjoy!

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/whole-food-recipes/raw-vegan-pizza-eggplant-crust/

I love that this recipe is quite innovative in using ingredients that I thought are impossible for the pizza crust but I was convinced just by reading the procedure and some tips. I thought of maybe introducing this to my friends but I have to be careful with the crust from turning leathery

I do not have a dehydrator? Should I go out and get one? I'll have to decide if it's a necessity. About this recipe, I think would an herculean task for me to have this without some sort of meat. Then making the cheese? I am already exhausted.:tired:

I do not have a dehydrator? Should I go out and get one? I'll have to decide if it's a necessity. About this recipe, I think would an herculean task for me to have this without some sort of meat. Then making the cheese? I am already exhausted.:tired:
It exhausts me too, just to read it. And no way is this a pizza! It might make quite a pleasant appetiser but is it worth the effort? The irony is, that this a raw food recipe and yet it is more complicated and takes longer to make than most cooked recipes for pizza. If you are obsessed with raw food then I suppose it may be worth doing it. Otherwise, I can't see the point.

It exhausts me too, just to read it. And no way is this a pizza! It might make quite a pleasant appetiser but is it worth the effort? The irony is, that this a raw food recipe and yet it is more complicated and takes longer to make than most cooked recipes for pizza. If you are obsessed with raw food then I suppose it may be worth doing it. Otherwise, I can't see the point.
Might post it in the competition!!

Back
Top Bottom