Recipes starring eggs

I just love eggs. We kept chickens when I was a kid so I ate freshly laid eggs every day. So - what are your most inventive egg recipes? I don't mean simply fried, poached, scrambled or omelettes. There are scrambled egg and omelette threads already! I'm interested in eggs used in other dishes or perhaps preserves (salted eggs), as a main(ish) ingredient. Eggs Florentine is an old favourite of mine...

View attachment 1446
I like a frittata. It is a great and healthy way to use eggs. I saw the recipie on a forum as a matter of fact. It is a good way to use up leftovers and it just uses spinach, a bit of feta, eggs, milk, and is cooked in the oven. It is a delicious, filling and cheap meal. I need to remember to buy some feta, now the weather is getting cooler I would like to make it again.

Moroccan spiced eggs and tomatoes with a minted yoghurt
Ingredients
4 British Lion eggs
250g plum tomatoes, quartered and deseeded
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp hot chilli powder
35g fresh coriander leaves

Minted yoghurt:
150g fat-free natural or Greek yoghurt
35g mint leaves, chopped
½ tsp ground cumin powder
½ lemon

2 flat seeded flat breads, grilled until warm and a little crispy at the edges (optional)

Method
  • Mix the mint with the yoghurt, cumin and the lemon juice. Leave to one side.
  • Place a large non-stick pan on a low heat and add in the vegetable oil. Add the garlic to the pan along with the spring onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously so the garlic doesn’t burn.
  • Add the spices and stir well. Next add in the deseeded tomatoes. Coat the tomato petals in the spices and cook until soft but not mushy! 6-8 minutes is plenty.
  • Make 4 gaps in the tomato mixture and crack in the eggs. Season the top of each egg with a small pinch of cumin and a little salt. Cook until the whites are firm but the yolk is runny. Grill the flat breads in the meantime.
  • Once the egg and tomato dish is ready, you can ether serve it in the pan or scoop it out onto a plate with the grilled flatbreads.
  • Scatter over the fresh coriander and serve with the minted yoghurt on the side.
It ticks all the boxes! Healthy, quick to prepare and cook, minimal shopping, reasonably priced ingredients and extremely satisfying to eat! Breakfast, lunch or dinner...this dish is a winner.

A great brunch or lunch recipe full of flavour - and it's healthy too.

Serves 2 Prep: 10 mins Cook: 15 mins

https://www.eggrecipes.co.uk/recipes
British Lion eggs?? Are those something different than regular eggs? I never heard that terminology before. It is a brand name? It is funny when you have people from all over the world on this forum because you hear terminology that you wouldn't normally hear or use. That is funny. It is something I have never heard of.

Wow there are some pretty awesome egg ideas on here. I have always stuck with the fried, boiled or omeletes. I never thought of any of these great ideas. I have never been a big fan of eggs because I got tired of eating them the same ole way but my eyes have been opened now to so many other great possibilities. I am excited to give some of them a try. This is one of the best posts on here. :)

Its like making a beurre noisette I guess, hence the taste would be 'nutty'?
It is well worth making if only the once. They were wonderful and you will wish you had done so sooner. but it is a serious 1oz butter per egg job! Sadly I have not had beurre noisette but having looked it up, no it is nothing like it, I don't think. All of the melted butter combines with the eggs and disappears until just at the point of the eggs being well cooked. At which point the clear butter starts to 'leak' out or ooze out of the scrambled eggs as they cool down, hence the reason for serving it on toast or better still warmed tatty scones (or potato cakes to the rest of the world).

It is well worth making if only the once. They were wonderful and you will wish you had done so sooner. but it is a serious 1oz butter per egg job! Sadly I have not had beurre noisette but having looked it up, no it is nothing like it, I don't think. All of the melted butter combines with the eggs and disappears until just at the point of the eggs being well cooked. At which point the clear butter starts to 'leak' out or ooze out of the scrambled eggs as they cool down, hence the reason for serving it on toast or better still warmed tatty scones (or potato cakes to the rest of the world).
I thought of beurre noisette because you said
heat as much butter as you dare (roughly 1oz per egg) to the point where it is about to burn
Do you mean until it turns brown (but not burnt)? If so you are making beurre noisette. If not, how do you judge the 'point where it is about to burn?' Sorry to be so detailed, but if I'm going to try this delicacy I want to get it right!!

I thought of beurre noisette because you said
Do you mean until it turns brown (but not burnt)? If so you are making beurre noisette. If not, how do you judge the 'point where it is about to burn?' Sorry to be so detailed, but if I'm going to try this delicacy I want to get it right!!

Well would you believe it Heston Blumenthal's recipe for scrambled eggs uses Beurre Noisette! :D But not nearly so much butter as your recipe @SatNavSaysStraightOn! Check it out. Sounds brilliant.

http://www.waitrose.com/content/wai...recipe_directory/h/heston_s_scrambledegg.html

OK - the edges of the butter start to brown in a saucepan over direct heat (it was originally a campfire recipe, so forget ban maries!).... the butter needs to be really hot and you don't drop the eat - this is a fast cook recipe. Not burnt at all.... can't give times because it does not work that way, but I can tell you to have all your eggs shelled beforehand in a bowl and ready. I didn't whisk them, you may if you want to, but once they are in the butter, keep stirring for all you are worth - well gently but don't stop otherwise it burns. Practice makes perfect and well, it being a camp fire recipe...

OK - the edges of the butter start to brown in a saucepan over direct heat (it was originally a campfire recipe, so forget ban maries!).... the butter needs to be really hot and you don't drop the eat - this is a fast cook recipe. Not burnt at all.... can't give times because it does not work that way, but I can tell you to have all your eggs shelled beforehand in a bowl and ready. I didn't whisk them, you may if you want to, but once they are in the butter, keep stirring for all you are worth - well gently but don't stop otherwise it burns. Practice makes perfect and well, it being a camp fire recipe...
OK. Lets say its semi beurre noisette! I'll have a go at this for my son's breakfast tomorrow (then I get to taste it without all the calories). Bet its good on sourdough.

But I was sure that they were eggs laid by the famous British Lion breed of chicken (so called because of the ruff on its neck which resembles a lion's mane).

British Lion Chicken.jpg

Ooh, this looks and sounds really delicious. I've got this bookmarked, because I think I might make it one of these days. I love spinach, and I'm surprised it never occurred to me to put it on pizza, but I definitely never thought to use fried eggs on top, although it sounds so good now I'm really looking forward to making it. This might be good on flat bread too, for a quick pizza.

Ooh, this looks and sounds really delicious. I've got this bookmarked, because I think I might make it one of these days. I love spinach, and I'm surprised it never occurred to me to put it on pizza, but I definitely never thought to use fried eggs on top, although it sounds so good now I'm really looking forward to making it. This might be good on flat bread too, for a quick pizza.
One of my favourite pizzas too. You have to wring the spinach out really well - and you don't fry the eggs, just pop them on top of the pizza before you cook it.

One of my favourite pizzas too. You have to wring the spinach out really well - and you don't fry the eggs, just pop them on top of the pizza before you cook it.
Seperate thread/section for pizzas!

Back
Top Bottom