Timenspace

Guru
Local time
12:18 PM
This recipe served as educational basis, as it was my first ever Dahl. Red Lentil Dahl (Easy Indian Recipe) - Bianca Zapatka | Recipes I did vary though.

it is so easy to prepare, and makes a wonderful entry dish, or an afternoon snack, with some toasted bread, or naan or biscuits or crackers, or other veges. It is creamy and cheesy, but the grapefruit gives it a fresh boost, the yoghurt calms everything down a bit, then you get another zing from the sweet chilli sauce, it is a bowl of simple pleasure.

I liked Lentils in general a lot, my Grandma used to cook brown lentils with potatoes in a gorgeous simple stew quite often. The Red Lentils was a recently acquired ingredient. When brainstorming for the challenge, there were a lot, a ton of dishes to choose from, my thoughts were, all right, what would I make for me, what would I love to eat. So, here it is. I am sure I will be making it agin, and exploring more possibilities.

Ingredients:

sunflower oil, 2 tablespoons
Red Lentils, 200 g (eyemeasured)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cm ginger root, peeled, chopped
cinnamon powder, 1 flat teaspoon, or you may vary to your liking
spice blend ( containing black pepper, white pepper,coriander, sea salt, 5% garlic, paprika), 8-10 swirls of the bottle (bottle with integrated grinder), possibly 1 flat teaspoon, after tasting, you may add more if necessary
curry blend, half a teaspoon, you may add more if you like
vegetable broth, 250 ml to 300 ml
Cheddar, mature, 150 g, shredded

To top:

red grapefruit, peeled, cut
greek yoghurt, 1 tablespoon or more if you want
sweet chilli sauce, several drops, or more if you want

You may vary the ingredients to your liking.

Method:
  1. Saute onion first, add garlic and ginger, then spices. The cinnamon gives it a gorgeous scent.
  2. Wash off lentils in cold water several times. Put it onto the onion.
  3. Pour vege broth over, cover, simmer for 10 minutes covered.
  4. Stirr. Taste for salt and spices.
  5. Add the shredded Cheddar after turning off the heat. Stirr.

Serve as soon as possible, top to your liking.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Looks good. I absolutely love dahl (dhal) and adding cheddar is an interesting idea.

cinnamon powder
spice blend (black pepper, white pepper,coriander, sea salt, 5% garlic, paprika)
curry blend

Mod.comment: Please can I ask that you add quantities to ingredients in line with User Guidelines and Rules (rule 19).

I've never seen fresh fruit with lentils. That's interesting. I've bookmarked it to try in the future. Thanks.

Nor me - it certainly wouldn't be served that way in India and I'm not sure I'd personally like grapefruit with dhal. The traditional topping for dhal is a 'tarka' which is often fried onions and whole spices. This sort of thing:

Recipe - Chana Tarka Dal

Reactions: mjd
Nor me - it certainly wouldn't be served that way in India and I'm not sure I'd personally like grapefruit with dhal. The traditional topping for dhal is a 'tarka' which is often fried onions and whole spices. This sort of thing:

Recipe - Chana Tarka Dal
Thanks for the link. Your dish is beautiful. I've never had dhal. Would cinnamon be part of the spices in the ones you're familiar with? I think cinnamon goes a long way in dishes that's aren't specifically sweet like banana bread or baked apples. I've been trying to ponder it with lentils as in her recipe but really can't imagine it. Maybe they taste great together. I'll have to try it and will post when I do.

Wow...there are a lot of flavors going on here! I think the grapefruit works here because of the acidity, but I think I’d juice it. I can’t see chomping on a piece of grapefruit, but I do like the flavor that brings. How does the cheddar stand up? I imagine a mature cheddar would still sneak through all those flavors.

Last edited:
Interesting. A classic dhal, especially a masoor (red lentil) dhal, would probably only have turmeric and chiles, with a tarka on top. I´m trying to get my head around cheese (especially Cheddar) and grapefruit on top... I´ve eaten them with tomatoes, ginger, more chiles, and maybe spinach, or one other vegetable , stirred through.- Cinnamon? Yep - sometimes I´ll just sauté a cinnamon stick, a few cloves, some peppercorns and a few cardamom pods in some ghee before adding the lentils. a tsp is probably a lot for me, but hey, like Fred Dreyer used to say in "Hunter" - " it works for me"

Back
Top Bottom