Red mullet with rosemary & tarragon

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:21 AM
My all time favourite fish is red mullet. Its known as the woodcock of the sea and with due cause. It has a gamey taste unlike any other fish and ideally the liver should be retained when it is cleaned; its a delicacy to be savoured.

With such fine, fresh fish as these are, there is little to be done. In fact, this barely qualifies as a recipe. Aromatic rosemary and tarragon are my herbs of choice for this fish. They work really well with the slightly gamey flavour and the taste of the liver. Not ideal photos - these were taken some time ago under the dreaded ‘cooker hood light’.

Ingredients
Red mullet, gutted but with liver retained intact
Fresh rosemary and bay leaves
Dried tarragon
Lemon slices
Olive oil to drizzle
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180C.
  2. Using a sharp knife, make several slashes through the skin of the fish.
  3. Place the fish in a baking dish lined with foil.
  4. Stuff the cavities of each fish with as many rosemary sprigs as you can, plus one bay leaf.
  5. Drizzle olive oil over the fish and sprinkle each fish with dried tarragon and little salt.
  6. Place lemon slices around the fish and bake for 20-25 minutes until the flesh is opaque.

Last edited:
That's so you have something to talk to while you're eating.

"I've had a bad day today, Fish...well, not as bad as you, but still..."
I think I would be saying, "Oh I am so sorry, but you sure are delicious." I think CD would cover the fish's head with a napkin or something.

I remember when we went fishing about 10 years ago in the Gulf of Mexico and we were catching grouper and red snapper, my husband caught an octopus. Those things are so smart! I don't know why he kept it. I do like octopus but that was not what we were fishing for. That poor octopus was clinging to the lid of the cooler and everytime someone opened it to put a fish in it he was trying to get out. I felt so bad I talked to it, and everytime I opened it I told him I was so sorry and that I wanted grouper for dinner, not octopus, LOL, until finally my friend John (the captain) and my husband had enough of my sympathetic chatter and let the poor thing go. That made me very happy.

I think I would be saying, "Oh I am so sorry, but you sure are delicious." I think CD would cover the fish's head with a napkin or something.

I remember when we went fishing about 10 years ago in the Gulf of Mexico and we were catching grouper and red snapper, my husband caught an octopus. Those things are so smart! I don't know why he kept it. I do like octopus but that was not what we were fishing for. That poor octopus was clinging to the lid of the cooler and everytime someone opened it to put a fish in it he was trying to get out. I felt so bad I talked to it, and everytime I opened it I told him I was so sorry and that I wanted grouper for dinner, not octopus, LOL, until finally my friend John (the captain) and my husband had enough of my sympathetic chatter and let the poor thing go. That made me very happy.

First time I took my granddaughter fishing, she caught one, I reeled it inand cut its head off,she screamed blue murder, everyone else thought I’d done something wrong,other people on the wharf were confused, I threw it back to shut her up, lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom