Regional Word Usage

UK terminology added to @The Late Night Gourmet's original list (in blue)

What we call insects that glow at night
  • Fireflies
  • Lightning Bugs
We don't have them in the UK but I know them as Fireflies

What we call a sale of household items
  • Garage Sale
  • Yard Sale
  • Rummage Sale
This wasn't something we had here until maybe 20 or so years ago and even now not very common. But if we do its usually called a garage sale I think.

How we address a group of people
  • You Guys
  • Y'All
  • Youse
  • Everyone N.B. this is changing and depends on context. Wasn't sure of context. Do you mean as in someone in a group asking what people want to drink, for example?

What we call carbonated beverages
  • Pop
  • Soda
  • Coke
  • Fizzy drinks

Where we throw our trash
  • Garbage Can
  • Trash Can
  • Rubbish bin

What we haul freight in
  • Semi/Semitruck
  • Tractor Trailor
  • Eighteen-Wheeler
I don't even understand what you mean by hauling freight! Do you mean when you attach something to the back of a car?

What we drink from in public places
  • Drinking Fountain
  • Water Fountain
  • Drinking Fountain

What we call athletic footwear
  • Sneakers
  • Tennis Shoes
  • Trainers

How many syllables in "caramel"?
Hauling freight would be in a lorry, artic or truck/Van.

I would use Car Boot sale instead of garage sale

Caramel Would be 2 and said closer to Cara mull

So there are differences even through the UK.

Oh how I enjoyed this thread!
Got tricked by the 2019 posts...but the content was not outdated at all...

I like the vivacious phrases. Here if someone is lost in a matter/surprised we use 'ti k'o da si s kruške opala'...meaning' you sound like you fell from a pear tree'...

I used it myself recently, calling the lab for my Dad's blood test. Who did 1 of 3.

Had asked for 3 tests a month ago in written, so I said to the lab lady ' I do understand, I am not in thr medical profession, but have not fallen from the pear tree either"

Had asked for 3 tests a month ago in written, so I said to the lab lady ' I do understand, I am not in thr medical profession, but have not fallen from the pear tree either"
Here, if you suspect someone is trying to deceive you about something, you might say to them, "I was born at night...but not last night!"

Another one that just occurred to me requires some background, possibly, for our international members:

Every US state has a nickname or slogan. Ohio is The Buckeye State...New York is The Empire State, etc.

One state's slogan has turned into a common phrase concerning skepticism about something.

Missouri is called The Show-Me State, and it's supposed to be a nod to their high regard of plain common sense, and nowadays, if someone tells you something, you may hear a response quoting their slogan, as in:

"Reuben, did you get that report sent over to Collections like I asked?"

"Yeah, Boss, I did it yesterday."

"Send me a copy of it."

"What, don't you trust me?"

"Let's just say I'm from Missouri...you need to show me!"

Another one that just occurred to me requires some background, possibly, for our international members:

Every US state has a nickname or slogan. Ohio is The Buckeye State...New York is The Empire State, etc.

One state's slogan has turned into a common phrase concerning skepticism about something.

Missouri is called The Show-Me State, and it's supposed to be a nod to their high regard of plain common sense, and nowadays, if someone tells you something, you may hear a response quoting their slogan, as in:

"Reuben, did you get that report sent over to Collections like I asked?"

"Yeah, Boss, I did it yesterday."

"Send me a copy of it."

"What, don't you trust me?"

"Let's just say I'm from Missouri...you need to show me!"
And it is not taken as a less than polite non team behaviour? Hiding behind the state slogan?
Buckeye? What is that?

And it is not taken as a less than polite non team behaviour? Hiding behind the state slogan?
Buckeye? What is that?
Actually, no, it's considered a polite, joking way to say, "It's not that I don't believe you...but, yeah, I don't believe you!"

A buckeye, in the sense of the state slogan, is the nut of a buckeye tree:

We have a chocolate candy also called a buckeye, which is more or less a Reese's peanut butter cup in round/ball form:

Actually, no, it's considered a polite, joking way to say, "It's not that I don't believe you...but, yeah, I don't believe you!"

A buckeye, in the sense of the state slogan, is the nut of a buckeye tree:

View attachment 62192

We have a chocolate candy also called a buckeye, which is more or less a Reese's peanut butter cup in round/ball form:
View attachment 62193
Oh ok then👍😊
Thaat is a buckeye! My kid and I love collecting buckeye when in season. One of the rare trees I recognize🙈😁
Candy looks lovely!
We have an "American shop" few tram stops away from my flat...kid found out about it and actually had Reese's. And PopTarts. She 💙Reese's.
Just a few days ago she said: It's been a while since we visited the A shop😎

Oh ok then👍😊
Thaat is a buckeye! My kid and I love collecting buckeye when in season. One of the rare trees I recognize🙈😁
Candy looks lovely!
We have an "American shop" few tram stops away from my flat...kid found out about it and actually had Reese's. And PopTarts. She 💙Reese's.
Just a few days ago she said: It's been a while since we visited the A shop😎
It's funny, because we have a massive international market about 45 minutes away, and we'll go there every few months, and our purchases will look like we've been shopping in Britain, because we come back with loads of PG Tips tea, Walker's crisps, Cadbury chocolates, McVities biscuits, Branston pickle, Heinz salad cream, HP sauce, Sarson's malt vinegar, and Ambrosia custard. :laugh:

It's funny, because we have a massive international market about 45 minutes away, and we'll go there every few months, and our purchases will look like we've been shopping in Britain, because we come back with loads of PG Tips tea, Walker's crisps, Cadbury chocolates, McVities biscuits, Branston pickle, Heinz salad cream, HP sauce, Sarson's malt vinegar, and Ambrosia custard. :laugh:
Sweet! Brings memories right?
The same would happen to me if a Bulgarian shop would open, nearby, nostalgia hits😂

Here, if you suspect someone is trying to deceive you about something, you might say to them, "I was born at night...but not last night!"

You forgot, "This ain't my first rodeo." That means you have experience or, "This isn't the first time I've done this."

BTW, Texas is "The Lone Star State."

CD

Back
Top Bottom