Restarting Easter Traditions - Egg Decoration Competition

I tried to use some felt tips on a hard boiled egg yesterday, but I hadn't allowed for the slight dampness after getting it out of the fridge, so the ink ran. I also found my hand is not steady enough to do anything free hand, so I will have a think about how to decorate an egg for next year......

Are we going to try to do this for Easter this year? I'm in if we are. Regardless, I'm going to give it a go. Already have 1 design and a focal point ordered. It's going to be in the Fabrege style. This is something I've been interested in since I saw my first sugar egg as a little girl, handmade by a creative and artistic family friend, not the widely available commercial ones.

If anybody wants to go bigger (or smaller) than chicken eggs, there are places in the US, Canada, UK, and Australia that supply egg shells up to ostrich/emu size and down to quail, though most of us can probably locally source whole duck or quail eggs. I didn't find any in mainland Europe, but there have to be because of the Pysanky eggs from the Ukraine.

Easter Sunday is April 21st this year.

Unless @SatNavSaysStraightOn just wants to put up a prize, I think we'll all end up with prizes of beautiful eggs!

Last edited:
I had had no plans to run it this year because part of the challenge was actually to blow the 4 eggs themselves, as well as to decorate them and no-one was interested in both parts of the competition .

If you do run it, which I'm more than happy for you to do, can we please start it as a fresh challenge/competition.

Are we going to try to do this for Easter this year? I'm in if we are. Regardless, I'm going to give it a go. Already have 1 design and a focal point ordered. It's going to be in the Fabrege style. This is something I've been interested in since I saw my first sugar egg as a little girl, handmade by a creative and artistic family friend, not the widely available commercial ones.

If anybody wants to go bigger (or smaller) than chicken eggs, there are places in the US, Canada, UK, and Australia that supply egg shells up to ostrich/emu size and down to quail, though most of us can probably locally source whole duck or quail eggs. I didn't find any in mainland Europe, but there have to be because of the Pysanky eggs from the Ukraine.

Easter Sunday is April 21st this year.

Unless @SatNavSaysStraightOn just wants to put up a prize, I think we'll all end up with prizes of beautiful eggs!

@medtran49, by all means re-launch as a new thread in Competitions and Challenges section, with a different title and parameters, as @SatNavSaysStraightOn suggests. I would certainly join in.

I had had no plans to run it this year because part of the challenge was actually to blow the 4 eggs themselves, as well as to decorate them and no-one was interested in both parts of the competition .

If you do run it, which I'm more than happy for you to do, can we please start it as a fresh challenge/competition.

The only thing I thought is some people might not want to actually blow the eggs, plus then you have to wash and/or treat them inside and out if you plan to keep them, and different eggs require different products to do that. Apparently duck eggs can only be cleaned with water or they won't take color well, something to do with a membrane on them. Who knew?

Well @morning glory is interested. Anybody else?

Back
Top Bottom