RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Why not just move back to the UK? Do you still have citizenship. I wouldn't want to live somewhere dislike as much as you seem to dislike Venezuela.

CD

Thanks for the heads up. We’re prepared to not be surprised by anything. We’ve already contacted the hotel to make sure they’ll do more than just throw us a pillow out the door, and they did tell us, in all seriousness, that they’ll make sure we’re fed, but that the hotel restaurant is closed to all but guests on Monday, and it may just be a tray of sandwiches.

We just got notified by Eurostar just now that if you’re coming in on Sunday or Monday…”please be patient,” so that’s what we’ll be. I can endure just about anything as long as I get a little notice.

Hey, once in our lifetimes kind of thing. Call us crazy, but we still feel quite lucky to get to witness it. Even if we can’t go through the line, even if all we get are day-old afternoon tea sandwiches and a dry scone, we’ll manage. We’ll have gotten to say, “Well done, Ms. Windsor, thank you!” from just down the road.

Check back with me Monday evening on that, though. I may feel differently! :wink:

I see it like watching an auto race. It is kinda' cool to be at the track, but if you really want to see the race, stay home and watch it on TV.

CD

I was reading about the security arrangements for the next 5 days. Unbelievable and seriously awe-inspiring, but an absolute nightmare for the security services.
Firstly, Westminster Abbey is not a "controlled" secure area; it´s open. Secondly, there will be more world dignitaries present than at any other event in history. Kings, queens, emperors, sheiks, presidents and politicians from all across the world.
The Met police have called in reinforcements from all over the UK, including Scotland and Northern Ireland. The armed forces have already been deployed. MI5 and GCHQ ( FBI and CIA, I suppose) are intimately involved assessing risks and possible terrorist threats. The SAS are on full alert. Police marksmen have been deployed all across London, and the area of Westminster is constantly being checked for threats by sniffer dogs. Even manholes are being checked and double-checked - and the funeral is still 4 days away.
A dinner will be held by the King on Sunday at Buckingham Palace, and there´s another nightmare. I´d be interested to see what the menu is, however!

The US Secret Service will be there, with the works, including the President's car, AKA "the Beast." That should clog things up for ya'.

CD

Last edited:
Flying into London on Wednesday and now really happy we booked our room months ago, and the flights SHOULD not have an issues. We were going to tool around for a day but think we'll stay local to the hotel and just wait for our transfer to Southampton.

What a time for the UK, it's sad that the Queen Mum passed. My father couldn't believe it when I told him, he's been glued to the tv since. It'll be interesting to come into the tail end of things. I wonder how the crowds will still compare to when I was over during the World Cup.

I heard today on the radio that the waiting line to view is over 2 1/2 miles long and wait time is 35+ hours.
Safe journey and I hope you have a great trip.

Flying into London on Wednesday and now really happy we booked our room months ago, and the flights SHOULD not have an issues. We were going to tool around for a day but think we'll stay local to the hotel and just wait for our transfer to Southampton.

What a time for the UK, it's sad that the Queen Mum passed. My father couldn't believe it when I told him, he's been glued to the tv since. It'll be interesting to come into the tail end of things. I wonder how the crowds will still compare to when I was over during the World Cup.
Would love to see some updates of your trip...

There’s a live queue tracker out there now, last I checked, wait time is about nine hours. Loads of stories in the news this morning of people in the line striking up friendships and going for a pint afterwards, that sort of thing.

Joining the queue to see the Queen resting in state has now been closed by the government for 6 hours due to its sheer length. Currently 14 hours queuing. Completely bonkers!

Back
Top Bottom