Recipe Risotto de Zucca (Pumpkin Risotto)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:08 AM
I chose to make this recipe for The CookBook Game #1, because I rarely cook risotto and thought I could do with some practice (as some members may know, I’m not a great risotto fan). This is a lovely, simple recipe. The most difficult task is de-seeding and chopping up the pumpkin. The flavours of the rosemary and pumpkin work magically together and its a combination I’ll be using in other dishes. It tasted beautiful. I couldn’t eat a whole portion but that is just me and risotto, but it was eagerly scoffed by my partner, who loved it. This dish can easily be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock rather than chicken stock.

This is from Italian Feast by Antonio Carluccio. It originally comes from the kitchen of the Hotel Cipriani in Venice. The chef, Renato Piccolotto, shared the recipe with Carluccio .

For detailed comments see here.

fullsizeoutput_4f73.jpeg

Ingredients: (Serves 4)
600g (1 lb 5 oz) pumpkin flesh, chopped into very small chunks
2 tbsp olive oil
90g (3 1/4 oz) butter
4 sprigs of fresh rosemary, 2 finely chopped, 2 whole
1 garlic clove
1 small onion, finely chopped
300g (10 1/2 oz) carnaroli rice
1 litre (1 3/4 pints) chicken stock, hot
50g (1 3/4 oz) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
  1. In a pan, heat the oil and a third of the butter, then add the whole sprigs of rosemary, the garlic clove and pumpkin. The pumpkin will automatically exude some liquid and so no water needs to be added.
  2. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the pumpkin softens and dissolves. Remove the rosemary sprigs and garlic clove.
  3. In another large pan, heat half the remaining butter and fry the onion gently until soft, then add the rice and fry equally gently, stirring continuously, for a few minutes.
  4. Add a little of the hot chicken stock and then the pumpkin mixture. Add more stock gradually until it is all used up and has been absorbed by the rice, stirring from time to time to avoid it sticking to the pan.
  5. Take off the heat and beat in the remaining butter and the Parmesan, and sprinkle with chopped rosemary.
fullsizeoutput_4f72.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4f7e.jpeg

Last edited:
Just wondering if arborio rice would be an option for those unable to obtain carnaroli rice (which I've never actually heard of before today. )

Any risotto rice would do - by chance, I just happened to have carnaroli. I bought it ages ago when I was trying out risotto and its been lingering in my store cupboard for well.... er... luckily rice keeps quite well.

Yours looks yummy, I use arborio, plus chicken that's been marinated. And peas for colour, and I use feta. I'm starting to like it now after making it for my wife.

Russ

Yours looks yummy, I use arborio, plus chicken that's been marinated. And peas for colour, and I use feta. I'm starting to like it now after making it for my wife.

Russ

I try to like it. But I'm still not keen - I simply can't eat a whole bowl of 'silky' rice. Even if there is no cream involved! But it tasted very good.

Back
Top Bottom