Recipe Risotto with artichokes and vanilla (Risotto ai carciofi mantecato alla vaniglia)

Sandra

Über Member
Local time
11:25 AM
For the first time I used vanilla in a savory dish, but this challenge has led me to try this risotto. I have to say that I was surprised by the result!

piatto.jpg

Ingredients for 4 persons:
300 gr. riso carnaroli
1 vanilla pod
60 gr. parmigiano reggiano
4 artichokes
lemon juice
vegetable broth (I prepared it with carrot, potato, celery, onion, salt)
extra virgin olive oil
salt

Carnaroli rice is used to prepare the risotto and is different from the most common Arborio rice for higher content of starch, more sour consistency and longer grain. Carnaroli rice keeps cooking better than other rice varieties during slow cooking required to make risotto because it presents more amylose. It belongs to the class of rice "superfine"
carnaroli.jpg

Method:
Clean the artichokes and boil them, including the part of the tenderest stems, in salted water, acidified with lemon juice.
Drain and cut the artichokes in 4 slices and roast them in extra virgin olive oil for a few minutes.
Cut the vanilla pod for the long and pick up the pulp with the knife and dilute it with a little olive oil.
In a saucepan toast the rice for about 2 minutes (until the grains become transparent) then add the vegetable broth until the rice is cooked. In the middle of the cooking add the shredded stems.
Turn off the fire and add the parmigiano reggiano and the olive oil spiced with vanilla.
Let it rest 5 minutes, then put in the dish and garnish with the artichokes.

collage.jpg

Decoration:
Parmigiano reggiano wafer spiced with vanilla (I added a few drops of vanilla flavored oil to Parmesan)
Empty vanilla pod

Last edited:
This looks beautiful @Sandra! And I have never considered a risotto with vanilla. Perfect with the artichokes, I would think. Did you intend to enter it for theThe Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (November 2017): Vanilla? If so I will add a tag*. You also need to make a live link to it in the Spice Challenge thread. If you don't know how to do that just PM me.

It needs to be the Spice Challenge tag.*

This looks beautiful @Sandra! And I have never considered a risotto with vanilla. Perfect with the artichokes, I would think. Did you intend to enter it for theThe Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (November 2017): Vanilla? If so I will add a tag*. You also need to make a live link to it in the Spice Challenge thread. If you don't know how to do that just PM me.

It needs to be the Spice Challenge tag.*
Thank you @morning glory .
I added the tag (I hope it is correct!) but I didn't understand about the link. Could you help me?

@Sandra

Extraordinary ! Shall give your recipe a try, the next time I have a free weekend .. I have same Carnaroli too from an Italian friend who distribtutes.

Thank you for your wonderful récipe .. And have a lovely lovely day ...

@ Sandra,

Yes, I was born and raised in Barcelona .. I live in Barcelona too ..

Thanks, and have a lovely evening ..

@ElizabethB

Thank you ..

I will be off to the Madrid Capital for our National Holidays - the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th .. Actually the bank holidays are the 6th & 8th Nationally and locally, each región has its special holidays this coming week ..

I guess, she asked as my English is totally proficient bilingual & documented at Cambridge with a Proficieny Certificate .. I use it every day ... Our whole family speak 4 languages and my dad and husband 5 .. Polyglots !

Have a great day ..

Hello @Sandra,
wow your risotto is super, congrats! And I am an artichokes fan. My husband is from Roma so as you can imagine, artichokes are very appreciated.
I also use Carnaroli for risotto, even if I think Arborio or Riso Roma work good too..I've never seen vanilla into an artichokes risotto, I'm very intrigued now to try it.

Last edited:
Hello @Sandra,
wow your risotto is super, congrats! And I am an artichokes fan. My husband is from Roma so as you can imagine, artichokes are very appreciated.
I also use Carnaroli for risotto, even if I think Arborio or Riso Roma work good too..I've never seen vanilla into an artichokes risotto, I'm very intrigued now to try it.
Hi @MypinchofItaly!
Try it, I'am sure you will be surprised by the result too!

Back
Top Bottom