Roast Chicken Ideas & Recipes

Frizz1974

Veteran
Local time
4:04 PM
Roast chicken is a very common meal here in Australia.

Is it a regular feature in your home or region?

I never cook it the same way twice - I’ll add flavours from different cuisines depending on what I’m going to serve with it. Could be almost anything.

However my partner never varies. Salt, pepper, olive oil all over & 2-3 smashed garlic gloves in the cavity. If he’s feel wild he may stick half a lemon in too. Roasts it with peeled halved potatoes and he’s n his way to a basic roast dinner with peas & gravy.

Tell me about your roast chicken habits.

Roast chicken is a very common meal here in Australia.

Is it a regular feature in your home or region?

I never cook it the same way twice - I’ll add flavours from different cuisines depending on what I’m going to serve with it. Could be almost anything.

However my partner never varies. Salt, pepper, olive oil all over & 2-3 smashed garlic gloves in the cavity. If he’s feel wild he may stick half a lemon in too. Roasts it with peeled halved potatoes and he’s n his way to a basic roast dinner with peas & gravy.

Tell me about your roast chicken habits.

Roast chicken is found where ever you find chickens. But in the US, the southern states are especially fond of fried chicken. Roast chicken, otherwise appears in most supermarkets, hot and ready to go, either in packages that are bottomed with a pan to collect juices, or on store rotisseries.

In the end, if you like a particular store's roast chicken, you likely buy it. But, even though it takes time and effort to roast your own, that may be ultimately the best.

I tend to go pretty simple. I typically stuff the cavity with sliced lemon, fresh rosemary and thyme from my garden, and sliced onion. I typically season the skin with salt and pepper, and rub some butter on it to get brown and crisp. I like to roast my bird surrounded by quartered red potatoes, seasoned with granulated garlic and rosemary sprigs. The chicken fat bastes the potatoes during the cook.

ChickRoastGriswold.jpg

CD

Roast chicken is found where ever you find chickens. But in the US, the southern states are especially fond of fried chicken. Roast chicken, otherwise appears in most supermarkets, hot and ready to go, either in packages that are bottomed with a pan to collect juices, or on store rotisseries.

In the end, if you like a particular store's roast chicken, you likely buy it. But, even though it takes time and effort to roast your own, that may be ultimately the best.

I also make my own rotisserie chicken. Yes, we do also roast chickens in the South.

RotoChick.jpg

Of the Store bought rotisserie chickens, COSTCO makes the best.

CD

I think supermarket rotisserie chicken has just about put an end to home-roasting one. They're as cheap as $6.99US, and there's almost always a coupon for a buck off - that can be hard to pass up.

I almost always use Ina Garten's recipe, which includes lemons, onion, and garlic as the aromatics (I usually throw some fresh thyme in there as well) and ends with a quick white wine pan sauce made from the drippings.

I think supermarket rotisserie chicken has just about put an end to home-roasting one. They're as cheap as $6.99US, and there's almost always a coupon for a buck off - that can be hard to pass up.

I almost always use Ina Garten's recipe, which includes lemons, onion, and garlic as the aromatics (I usually throw some fresh thyme in there as well) and ends with a quick white wine pan sauce made from the drippings.

Oh, yeah, I use some garlic cloves in the cavity, too. I forgot about that.

COSTCO rotisserie chickens are $4.99. :eek: You can't buy a whole raw chicken at COSTCO for $4.99. COSTCO uses them to get people in the door, knowing they will buy a lot more stuff that they may, or may not need.:laugh:

CD

I just use salt either via a dry or wet brine, maybe a herb (typically rosemary). A smear of softened butter.

I also have taken to spatchcocking since reading Kenji's Food Lab book and trying it out - I do think it helps in terms of evenness of cooking.

I made this for the poultry challenge, and its my standard way of roasting a chicken: Recipe - Fowler's Roast Chicken
One thing I picked up from my French brother-in-law is the use of butter. I didn't use it before, but one time I watched him and his wife prepping a chicken for roasting and they shoved butter under the skin on the breast side and put MORE butter on top thereafter. Maybe it was just the quality of ingredients but I have never tasted such flavorful and crisp skin on a roasted chicken!

Oh, yeah, I use some garlic cloves in the cavity, too. I forgot about that.

COSTCO rotisserie chickens are $4.99. :eek: You can't buy a whole raw chicken at COSTCO for $4.99. COSTCO uses them to get people in the door, knowing they will buy a lot more stuff that they may, or may not need.:laugh:

CD

Chicken is the cheapest protein here by far. Once upon a time, not that long ago really, lamb was very cheap here. Now it’s very $$$

A fresh whole bird can be purchased for about $6.50 but a ready to eat bird is about $11.00 in our most popular supermarkets so it’s still more common to do it at home plus then you can add veg to round out the meal.

I made this for the poultry challenge, and its my standard way of roasting a chicken: Recipe - Fowler's Roast Chicken
One thing I picked up from my French brother-in-law is the use of butter. I didn't use it before, but one time I watched him and his wife prepping a chicken for roasting and they shoved butter under the skin on the breast side and put MORE butter on top thereafter. Maybe it was just the quality of ingredients but I have never tasted such flavorful and crisp skin on a roasted chicken!

I roasted a dozen chickens for a family function once. I used a compound herb & garlic butter under the skin and people were raving about that chicken.

Butter makes everything wonderful.

One time I bought 6 big reduced whole frozen turkeys - they are becoming more commonly eaten here but this was a few years ago and they’d been left from Christmas and I think we were nearly to Easter. I had never cooked one before but the best advice I got was to put as much compound butter under the breast skin. No dry Turkey.

I roasted a dozen chickens for a family function once. I used a compound herb & garlic butter under the skin and people were raving about that chicken.

Butter makes everything wonderful.

One time I bought 6 big reduced whole frozen turkeys - they are becoming more commonly eaten here but this was a few years ago and they’d been left from Christmas and I think we were nearly to Easter. I had never cooked one before but the best advice I got was to put as much compound butter under the breast skin. No dry Turkey.

The best advice I can give for turkey is to wet brine that bird overnight. Turkey can go dry when cooking worse than chicken can. The osmosis effect of wet brining really does help.

CD

I'm puzzled by this. Surely it is going to be cold or at any rate not piping hot by the time you drive home and get it to the table? We have them here to but they are not a big thing.

I'm puzzled by this. Surely it is going to be cold or at any rate not piping hot by the time you drive home and get it to the table? We have them here to but they are not a big thing.
My personal experience is if you want one, you better get it before 5PM, because the after-work rush will sell them out.

They're kept in a warming case that keeps the cold off, and they're quite warm. What I don't like about them is the skin, which was obviously deliciously crispy at one point, goes all flabby after steaming in a sealed bag all day. I think a lot of people must remove the skin when they use them, I know I see that recommendation in a lot of recipes that call for using a supermarket rotisserie chicken.

My personal experience is if you want one, you better get it before 5PM, because the after-work rush will sell them out.

They're kept in a warming case that keeps the cold off, and they're quite warm. What I don't like about them is the skin, which was obviously deliciously crispy at one point, goes all flabby after steaming in a sealed bag all day. I think a lot of people must remove the skin when they use them, I know I see that recommendation in a lot of recipes that call for using a supermarket rotisserie chicken.

A lot of people buy them just for the roasted meat that they then cut up or shred to make something else, like chicken soup. In that case, it doesn't matter if it is hot or not, it is just an ingredient.

CD

Back
Top Bottom