Recipe Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Cranberry, Bacon, Onion, Smoked Gouda

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
6:12 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
A casserole I brought to a pot luck for Thanksgiving one year (2016).

cranberry brussels-sprout-tday2-2016.jpg

It was rather successful.

Note, the measurements are approximate.

• 30 ounces of Brussels sprouts, shaved (de-stemmed and cut into slivers)
  • ½ pound bacon
  • 1 large onion, diced coarsely
  • 4 or 5 ounces fresh cranberries
  • Fresh thyme, sage to taste
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • ¼ cup cranberry-infused Balsamic vinegar
  • 4 ounces shredded smoked Gouda cheese
  • 4 ounces sliced smoked Gouda cheese

In a really large skillet (or do it in batches) cook half the bacon, as a layer, using a splash guard.

Remove bacon, allow to drain on a paper towel. Pat dry, break up pieces, and put in a large bowl.

Add half the onion and half the sprouts to the skillet with the bacon grease.

Allow the onions and Brussels sprouts to roast, stirring occasionally. Add about half the seasonings to the skillet.Stir again.

When they begin to brown, and both veggies are cooked through, add half the Balsamic, and mix further, another 3-4 minutes, allowing some of the liquid to cook off from the Balsamic.

Remove to drain on more paper towels, patting this dry.

Mix the veggies in a bowl with the bacon (crumpled). Do reserve some bacon separately.

Follow the above steps above again, with the remainder of the bacon, sprouts, onions, seasonings and Balsamic.
Mix all together.

In a small pot of water, add the cranberries and heat them until they are cooked – only a few minutes. They will split their skins.

To a baking pan, add about half the veggie and bacon mix, interspersing with cranberries, reserving some for the end. (A slotted spoon will drain them off nicely).

Now, scatter the shredded cheese over the top.

Add the rest of the veggie/bacon mix.

Add the spare bacon atop this. (OR reserve that spare bacon for ATOP the the next layer…

Cover with a layer of cheese slices.

Finish off with the rest of the cranberries. Set aside until ready to bake. (If you are doing this the day before serving, simply wait to add the final layer of cheese and the few remaining cranberries until the day you plan to serve.)

Bake, covered, for 40-50 minutes at 350 F, remove cover for last ten minutes, continue to bake, and serve hot. (If you are travelling and bringing this somewhere, save this baking step for when you reach your destination, making sure your host/hostess has oven space. We’d dined in a community kitchen, so there was space!)

cranberry brussels-sprout-tday-2016.jpg

Just so you know what my cranberry balsamic vinegar bottle looked like (you may not be able to find it everywhere - in which case, simply use a balsamic reduction!):
cranberry-balsamic-2016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like this combination of flavors!

Add half the onion and half the sprouts to the skillet with the bacon grease.
One of my favorite techniques: I'm surprised at how many recipes I've seen that render the bacon, then have you clean the pan out and add oil to saute the onion. Unless I use it like this, I've been saving rendered bacon grease so I can use it some other time to grill sandwiches and such.

I really like this combination of flavors!

One of my favorite techniques: I'm surprised at how many recipes I've seen that render the bacon, then have you clean the pan out and add oil to saute the onion. Unless I use it like this, I've been saving rendered bacon grease so I can use it some other time to grill sandwiches and such.
Next time you make a BLT, don't toast the bread - fry it in the rendered bacon grease.

There're BLTs and then there're BLTs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom