Recipe Roasted Creole Pork Belly Casserole

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
12:13 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
creole-pork-served.jpg

Pork belly strips are typically made into bacon, but when I last got half a pig share from a local farmer, I asked for half the belly meat to be made into strips that were not further cured into bacon.

creole-pork-pan-pre-cook.jpg

Above: Pork belly strips over sliced potatoes.

creole-pork-full-pan.jpg

This is one of those easy recipes that is little muss nor fuss, although this does take a while to cook. Leftovers are painless, too.

Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: 90 minutes.
Rest Time: 10 minutes.
Serves: 4 – 5.
Cuisine: Owes at least something to Cajun/Creole Country.
Leftovers: Sure. Reheat, enjoy.

Roasted Creole Pork Belly Casserole

• 4 or 5 or 6 Yukon gold or other gold potatoes, size dependent, sliced into 1/3rd to 1/2 inch slices. Remove any bad spots but you can leave the skin on if you wish. (For Whole30, remove.)
  • 1 pound pork belly strips, cut (by your butcher?) as if they were thick bacon.
  • 1 tablespoon Creole / Cajun seasoning, salt-free. See my home-made version here.
  • About a half teaspoon of coarse grind sea salt, or to taste.
  • Optional half teaspoon of extra cayenne powder, or to taste.
  • 1 tablespoon low sodium gluten free tamari/soy sauce or coconut aminos for Whole 30.
  • 1 teaspoons + 2 teaspoon of cooking oil (I preferentially go for healthy high temperature avocado oil)
  • 1 large or two smaller bell peppers, any color.
  • 4-5 ounces white or cremini (button) mushrooms.
  • Optional half teaspoon of garlic powder.
Layer out the potatoes on the bottom of your 9″ X 12″ baking pan. One layer suffices. Coat with about a teaspoon of oil, rubbing this all over the potatoes. If you are using Russets, sprinkle a little salt over these.

In a bowl, place the pork belly strips (cut to around 4 inches long, or perhaps about half of each strip). Add the Creole seasoning, the salt, any extra cayenne, and one teaspoon of oil. Massage with your hands, and set aside, on the counter, for 20-30 minutes.

Set oven temperature to 325 F / 160 C.

Put the pan with the potatoes, pork belly, and seasonings as already mentioned into the oven, and allow this to roast away for 90 minutes.

Towards the end of the cooking time, heat up a skillet to medium-low heat, with the last 2 teaspoons of oil.

Add the mushrooms, peppers, and garlic powder. Stir fry for about 15 – 20 minutes, depending how you like your peppers – I apparently like them a bit more au dente than most of my friends do.

When finished cooking, pull the pan with the potatoes and meat from the oven, and layer the mushroom/pepper mixture over. Serve and enjoy. Makes great leftovers, too.

Back
Top Bottom