Recipe Roasted Dungeness Crab with tons of garlic

BWinCA

Local time
7:40 AM
Note- Being new I don't know how to mark this post as a recipe. If someone could help that would be great. Thanks.

There is a Vietnamese crab restaurant in SF called Thanh Long (it has a sister restaurant called Crustacean). It is famous for its roasted crab with garlic. In fact, the recipe is so secretive that no waiters/waitresses are allowed in the kitchen! There is a hole between the kitchen and rest of the restaurant where the chefs push thru the crab for pick-up after it's ready. Well, you knew that someday someone on the web would be able to copy their method- and they did. I have made this (very easy) recipe and it comes very close to it so thought I'd post it here. For those of you out of range of dungeness crab I imagine other crab would work too but I have never tried it.

Ingredients
1 Dungeness Crab (cleaned and split in half or into 4 pieces and slightly cracked)
1 or 2 stick of unsalted butter
2 heads garlic (roasted & softened)
1 chicken bouillon cube
¼ cup of sugar, to taste
Cracked black pepper to your liking

Instructions
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 and roast garlic for 40 minutes. Dice all when done.
2. Melt butter (in a wok preferably) and add soft roasted garlic, bouillon cube, and sugar.
3. Add crab pieces and cover each piece very well with butter mixture.
4. Pour into roasting pan and bake for about 20 minutes.
5. Baste the crab with the sauce every 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Note- Being new I don't know how to mark this post as a recipe. If someone could help that would be great. Thanks.

I've done it. When you post a new thread there is a drop down prefix box next to the title field. Just choose the prefix 'recipe'.

Sounds good, we may give this a try.

Blue crab would work well too. We have a restaurant here that specializes in crabs and their most famous dish is garlic crabs.

For those of you in larger cities with a good sized Asian presence, look for larger Asian markets. They will quite often bring in Dungeness, geoducks, razor clams, etc.

Last edited:
The recipe sounds very delicious. All that soft baked garlic smothering the crab...

Now, I've noticed that Dungeness crab is often mentioned by American members. Here there is a famous place called Dungeness, which indeed does have crabs off shore. Its not far from where I live. But I don't think they are any different from any other UK crab. So why is Dungeness crab so called?

It's a crab found along the northwest coast of the US and up into Canada. It's a larger crab and at the place we usually get it is between $35 and $45 depending on size and market price for 1 crab, which is enough for me and Craig unless he's super hungry. It's quite good. We usually steam them with water and spices, but I could definitely see doing them like the above.

It's a crab found along the northwest coast of the US and up into Canada. It's a larger crab and at the place we usually get it is between $35 and $45 depending on size and market price for 1 crab, which is enough for me and Craig unless he's super hungry. It's quite good. We usually steam them with water and spices, but I could definitely see doing them like the above.

They look rather like UK crabs and I've learned why they are called Dungeness: they are named after one of their representative habitats ― a shallow, sandy bay inside of Dungeness Spit on the south shore of the Straits of Juan de Fuca.

... and Dungeness spit and Dungeness Bay does indeed get its name from the Dungeness down the road from me!

The name "Dungeness" refers to the Dungeness headland in England. It was given by George Vancouver in 1792, who wrote: "The low sandy point of land, which from its great resemblance to Dungeness in the British Channel, I called New Dungeness."

There's also golden crabs in the US that would be good for this. They are bigger than blues, but smaller and a bit less expensive than Dungeness.

I've done it. When you post a new thread there is a drop down prefix box next to the title field. Just choose the prefix 'recipe'.

View attachment 38451
I just posted a recipe under Meats, Poultry, etc and there is no drop-down option. Only separate windows under prefix saying 'Recipe', 'Recipe with video', etc. I clicked on recipe prefix but it didn't show up in my title.

I just posted a recipe under Meats, Poultry, etc and there is no drop-down option. Only separate windows under prefix saying 'Recipe', 'Recipe with video', etc. I clicked on recipe prefix but it didn't show up in my title.

The drop down is what you saw and clicking on 'recipe' should have done it. :scratchhead: Maybe you didn't click it properly. I can add it but you should be able to do it by editing the thread title. Here is how:

Click on the three little dots at the top right of the post and you will get this drop down menu.

Choose 'Edit Thread' and you with see the title field:

Click on the prefix field as before and choose 'Recipe' then click save.

The drop down is what you saw and clicking on 'recipe' should have done it. :scratchhead: Maybe you didn't click it properly. I can add it but you should be able to do it by editing the thread title. Here is how:

Click on the three little dots at the top right of the post and you will get this drop down menu.

View attachment 38457

Choose 'Edit Thread' and you with see the title field:

View attachment 38458

Click on the prefix field as before and choose 'Recipe' then click save.

I don't get the drop-down after I edit my thread. See attached pics. I am using Chrome. Perhaps it is the browser.
Edit 2.jpg

Edit 2.jpg

Edit Thread.jpg

This is mystifying. The browser shouldn't make a difference. I'll switch to Chrome just in case there is a glitch but I really don't think so. Hang on...

I'm using Chrome now and its all working correctly. It might just be that as a relatively new member not all edit options are available to you. I don't know what else to suggest. SatNavSaysStraightOn is the tech expert but she hasn't been on-line for a while. All I can now do is report this to her. Meanwhile I'll add the Recipe prefix for you.

Did you actually click on 'edit thread'? Your last screenshot shows the drop down menu and obviously at that point there is no prefix field. When you click on 'edit thread' it will display that field.

Last edited:
We get pretty much everything here, except crab. I know ozzy have crabs, but not us. Small thumb size only.
We can get crab in a tin, the taste ????
Russ

I'm using Chrome now and its all working correctly. It might just be that as a relatively new member not all edit options are available to you. I don't know what else to suggest. SatNavSaysStraightOn is the tech expert but she hasn't been on-line for a while. All I can now do is report this to her. Meanwhile I'll add the Recipe prefix for you.

Did you actually click on 'edit thread'? Your last screenshot shows the drop down menu and obviously at that point there is no prefix field. When you click on 'edit thread' it will display that field.
Yes, I did click on 'edit thread'. The pictures are in reverse, meaning that the bottom pic is the first screen. Then I click on 'edit thread' and the top screen then shows. (For some reason my post shows 2 of the same images but I only added it one time!)

Back
Top Bottom