Roasting pan clean-up tips

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
12:47 PM
In the middle of cooking the beef I tenderised with the new jabby instrument and marinated overnight.
I fear having to scrub the pan it's roasting in so I used extra thick double up foil to save me the general scrubbing horror.
I failed. I no longer care what the beef tastes like. Even if it's great it's not worth dealing with this 😱😢😂
IMG_0306.jpeg

Will report back on the beef shortly!

I've also heard you can put fabric softener in with the soaking water.

I make foil "racks" when roasting by crumpling up the foil, then making a zigzag shape, put those on top of lining foil, then the meat on top. That way you don't get tears in the bottom foil where juices can leak through, plus you get hot air on the bottom of your meat as well.

I also roast on a rimmed sheet pan instead of a pan with sides, so you get equal hot air distribution. You just need to make sure you have made a 1/2 - 3/4 inch double folded rim of foil to catch drippings.

Don't remember where I saw this tip, but it was someplace that gives good advice because I have bothered to remember it, just haven't tried it yet since I haven't roasted anything recently, but supposedly if you crumple up the pan lining layer of foil then gently smooth it out, leaving little concave and convex areas the drippings won't burn as bad or smoke as bad because of hotter and cooler areas due to the texture. I think when I try this that I will put a smooth layer of foil underneath to catch any leaks though.

In the middle of cooking the beef I tenderised with the new jabby instrument and marinated overnight.
I fear having to scrub the pan it's roasting in so I used extra thick double up foil to save me the general scrubbing horror. I failed. I no longer care what the beef tastes like. Even if it's great it's not worth dealing with this 😱😢😂
IMG_0306.jpeg

That’ll lift right off with some boiling water, don’t sweat it!

I always thought a soak in vinegar worked, but then discovered it doesnt! Bicarbonate of Soda does, however. Apparently it attacks the proteins and lifts them off.

I've also heard you can put fabric softener in with the soaking water.

I make foil "racks" when roasting by crumpling up the foil, then making a zigzag shape, put those on top of lining foil, then the meat on top. That way you don't get tears in the bottom foil where juices can leak through, plus you get hot air on the bottom of your meat as well.

I also roast on a rimmed sheet pan instead of a pan with sides, so you get equal hot air distribution. You just need to make sure you have made a 1/2 - 3/4 inch double folded rim of foil to catch drippings.

Don't remember where I saw this tip, but it was someplace that gives good advice because I have bothered to remember it, just haven't tried it yet since I haven't roasted anything recently, but supposedly if you crumple up the pan lining layer of foil then gently smooth it out, leaving little concave and convex areas the drippings won't burn as bad or smoke as bad because of hotter and cooler areas due to the texture. I think when I try this that I will put a smooth layer of foil underneath to catch any leaks though.

Last edited:
I fear having to scrub the pan it's roasting in so I used extra thick double up foil to save me the general scrubbing horror.
I failed. I no longer care what the beef tastes like. Even if it's great it's not worth dealing with this 😱😢😂
View attachment 100786
Will report back on the beef shortly!
Have you tried parchment paper? It's cheaper than foil and less prone to tearing.

It’s just this one pan that’s an absolute swine to clean.
So much so I had one picked out that would sit nicely on top and save me all this hassle but I couldn’t be bothered to go and get it, more fool me!

The only thing that works on this darn pan is some nasty do not inhale oven cleaner.

I’m usually so careful but today I just randomly decided to put the joint on its thin side so it toppled over. No idea why I did that, what a wally!

Or, get some of THIS. Dawn Power Dissolver. Let's face it, & I know that y'all mean well that aluminum foil helps, but if it rips somewhere, a hole will cause the juices to leak out onto the roasting pan & burn. Then here comes the back breaking work of having to scrub off the burned juices! With Dawn Power Dissolver, you just spray it on the roasting pan, wait 15 to 20 minutes & voila!! The burned juices can be wiped off & or rinsed off flawlessly!! It used to come in a small blue bottle (below) in the supermarkets. It works just like an oven cleaner & it won't etch aluminum products like regular oven cleaner will!! It is sold at Amazon. :whistling:
Dawn Power Diusolver..jpg
Dawn Power Dissolver. 2.jpg

Last edited:
Or, get some of THIS. Dawn Power Dissolver. Let's face it, & I know that y'all mean well that aluminum foil helps, but if it rips somewhere, a hole will cause juices to leak onto the roasting pan & burn. Then here comes the back breaking work of having to scrub off the burned juices! With Dawn Power Dissolver, you just spray it on the roasting pan, wait 15 to 20 minutes & voila!! The burned juices can be wiped & rinsed off flawlessly!! It used to come in a small blue bottle in the supermarkets. It works just like an oven cleaner & it won't etch aluminum products like regular oven cleaner will!! It is sold at Amazon. :whistling: View attachment 100985View attachment 100986
But SandwichShortOfAPicnic lives in Spain. Not sure if they carry Dawn over there?

GadgetGuy I can get some from Amazon, with p&p about €50 and shipped from America so who knows how much would be left in the bottle by the time it arrived here 😮

In the UK it’s called Power Wash at just £3
Proctor and Gamble obviously decided the US wouldn’t like soap called Fairy 😂

But can’t find quite the same thing here. Mostly I avoid harsh chemicals and just wear my arm out because think of the little fishies trying to breath that stuff. Yeah I know, just don’t think about it 😂

JAS_OH1 thanks for the wee reminder 😊
Though I should say I mostly live in the UK due to the evil B word - that’s leaving the EU to folk lucky enough to miss the debacle!

They really shouldn't have done that, eh. B&<×*/ was a big mistake.
It really was and it’s a relief to be able to say that out loud now. It got so nasty.
So many lies.

The Prime minister who put it up for referendum is one of a select few that for political reasons hasn’t been offered a knighthood, the political reason being all party sides hate him for causing Brexit!

And guess what, now polls show everyone even in the hardcore Brexit areas want to develop closer ties with Europe, the mind boggles.

It really was and it’s a relief to be able to say that out loud now. It got so nasty.
So many lies.

The Prime minister who put it up for referendum is one of a select few that for political reasons hasn’t been offered a knighthood, the political reason being all party sides hate him for causing Brexit!

And guess what, now polls show everyone even in the hardcore Brexit areas want to develop closer ties with Europe, the mind boggles.
Yes, we watched it unfold and felt so badly about it, knowing that so many intelligent people were against it. We knew it was going to come back and bite the ignorant fools who were for it. I'm sure people over there were wondering the same thing about Chump being elected over here. If that happens again I'm coming to live with you!

Back
Top Bottom