Recipe Saffron Lemon Garlic Cod en Papillote

TodayInTheKitchen

Blitzinator
Local time
12:57 PM
Website
todayinthekitchen.com
I skipped more traditional Easter dinner recipes this year and made Saffron Lemon Garlic Cod en Papillote. My dinner guests were pleased with my choice. Dinner was served with light french rolls, spinach & feta salad, and a good bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Dinner scored a big A+.

Serves: (3) Prep Time: (1 hour) Cook Time: (25 min)

:chef: Ingredients
Marinate
1/8 tsp saffron
1 tbsp of malt vinegar
2 tbsp of EVOO
2 tbsp of lemon juice
1/2 cup of white wine

Packet
1 lbs of fresh cod
3 tbsp of EVOO
3 tbsp of lemon juice
3 medium potatoes (sliced)
1 cup of cauliflower
1 cup of snap peas
3 tsp of malt vinegar
3 tbsp of minced garlic

:chef: Method

Place fish in bath of white wine, 2 tbsp of EVOO, 2 tbsp of lemon juice, 1 tbsp of malt vinegar.
lightly sprinkle saffron on fish. marinate for at least two hours

Cut fish into 3 equal parts.

Position 6-8 slices of potatoes on parchment paper. Top potatoes with some malt vinegar.

Place one piece of fish on top of potatoes.

Arrange 8 or so snap peas on top of potatoes and fish. Complete packet with cauliflower flowerettes.

Add some minced garlic for flavor.

Lightly coat all ingredients with EVOO and lemon juice. Top with 2 slices of lemon.

Fold parchment paper into a packet.

Fold foil to form a tight seal.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Remove from oven. Serve on plate.

En Papillote is such a lovely way to cook because it seals in all that flavour. Saffron with fish is a great combination. My only query - I've tried a few times adding potatoes to en papillote but I find they simply don't cook through properly in 25 - 35 mins. I notice you cut yours into slices, which I've also tried - but I still end up with 'al dente' potatoes which is not nice. What I now do is par-boil the potatoes first.

Last edited:
My only query - I've tried a few times adding potatoes to em papillote but I find they simply don't cook through properly in 25 - 35 mins. I notice you cut yours into slices, which I've also tried - but I still end up with 'al dente' potatoes which is not nice. What I now do is par-boil the potatoes first.

Very true about the potatoes. They did end up "crunchy". In most recipes this would be a NEGATIVE. However, I think the addition of the Malt vinegar helped "sell" the under-cooked potatoes. I am scheduled to make this recipe in 8 days, so I will try a few things to prep the potatoes. (steaming, microwave, etc.) I will update everyone on the results.

Very true about the potatoes. They did end up "crunchy". In most recipes this would be a NEGATIVE. However, I think the addition of the Malt vinegar helped "sell" the under-cooked potatoes. I am scheduled to make this recipe in 8 days, so I will try a few things to prep the potatoes. (steaming, microwave, etc.) I will update everyone on the results.

I'm relieved you say this as I was thinking I'd been doing something wrong. I reckon cooking the potatoes beforehand (either partially or more) is probably wise. I like the malt vinegar touch.

I skipped more traditional Easter dinner recipes this year and made Saffron Lemon Garlic Cod en Papillote. My dinner guests were pleased with my choice. Dinner was served with light french rolls, spinach & feta salad, and a good bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Dinner scored a big A+.

Serves: (3) Prep Time: (1 hour) Cook Time: (25 min)

:chef: Ingredients
Marinate
1/8 tsp saffron
1 tbsp of malt vinegar
2 tbsp of EVOO
2 tbsp of lemon juice
1/2 cup of white wine

Packet
1 lbs of fresh cod
3 tbsp of EVOO
3 tbsp of lemon juice
3 medium potatoes (sliced)
1 cup of cauliflower
1 cup of snap peas
3 tsp of malt vinegar
3 tbsp of minced garlic

:chef: Method

Place fish in bath of white wine, 2 tbsp of EVOO, 2 tbsp of lemon juice, 1 tbsp of malt vinegar.
lightly sprinkle saffron on fish. marinate for at least two hours

Cut fish into 3 equal parts.

Position 6-8 slices of potatoes on parchment paper. Top potatoes with some malt vinegar.

Place one piece of fish on top of potatoes.

Arrange 8 or so snap peas on top of potatoes and fish. Complete packet with cauliflower flowerettes.

Add some minced garlic for flavor.

Lightly coat all ingredients with EVOO and lemon juice. Top with 2 slices of lemon.

Fold parchment paper into a packet.

Fold foil to form a tight seal.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Remove from oven. Serve on plate.

Wow! its some epic food right there, looks totally delicious.

I'm relieved you say this as I was thinking I'd been doing something wrong. I reckon cooking the potatoes beforehand (either partially or more) is probably wise. I like the malt vinegar touch.
Just 3 to 4 minutes in the microwave with a touch of water in the bottom of the dish seems to do the trick for me. (Drain the water afterwards)

Back
Top Bottom