Salad items to be rationed by 2 UK supermarkets

About 50 years ago, strawberries were only available in June; cherries from June/July, tomatoes from about May through to September, lettuces in the summer, etc, etc, etc. When you didn´t have fresh, you used frozen or, God Forbid, tins, or you just did without.
No - I´m not advocating a return to the dark ages, but it does make me think that folks are just impatiently accommodating these days. Why can´t they just use a little bit of creativity, and use what IS available? No tomatoes or lettuce for salad? OMG!! HOW ON EARTH AM I GOING TO MAKE MY SAINSBURY´S BURGER??? Don´t make it - think of something else. Coleslaw? Beetroot and walnut salad?
Second thing, of course, is than when there´s a shortage of something, 51% of all Brits go into "Moan Mode". It´s all Brexits fault. It´s those damn people "over there" who aren´t working hard enough! The truck drivers - they don´t care. If this government had done XXX, then this wouldn´t have happened. Don´t blame or look for excuses - resolve.
That, of course, will be my motto when I challenge the local useless MP at the next election. HAHAHAHA!!

Yes, we have become spoiled over the last 50+ years. We are so used to buying any fresh vegetable that we want any day of the year.

But, at least where I live, GOOD strawberries (red all the way through and sweet as sugar), tomatoes and a few other veggies are only available fresh for a few months in the summer.

CD

Last edited:
A vegan who buys a lot of vegetables. Who'd have thunk it? :laugh:

CD
Yeah, I know. Odd that isn't it.

I spend my life looking a things people plate up and photo, thinking to myself "where's the veg?" Oddly though I don't eat large amounts of lettuce, in fact I can't think of the last time I bought lettuce. Spinach yes, rocket it very leaves from the garden, yes, but lettuce? No. Odd that but home grown always bolts before I get chance to eat it and supermarket stuff wilts and goes bad way too quickly and is all too easily a source of something else (Weed responsible for hallucinogenic spinach recall identified as thornapple)

I must ask my family to stop using the guardian, it's driving me mad! Hubby reads it and I get it in my searches (he gets adverts on FB for stuff I've bought it like at recently as well, despite the fact I don't allow cookies or personal advertising! )

But, at least where I live, GOOD strawberries (red all the way through and sweet as sugar), tomatoes and a few other veggies are only available fresh for a few months in the summer.
That is one advantage of Australia.
About 75% of the year is growing season somewhere in Australia! Much shorter seasons where I am though, even to the Midlands in England. About on a par with the North of England for my growing season. I'm only just starting to get ripe tomatoes now and summer ends this month, but autumn is a second spring here which confused me at first but I'm getting the hang of it now. Winter is a reasonable growing season for hardy stuff as well, at least if you give it frost protection, so kale, sprouts, potatoes even, garlic, leeks, onions etc will all grow through winter much more slowly but they do grow.

Live scenes from East London as man attempts to buy four cucumbers:

8BW1bM&tn=ozx44fQSNxpNG5zX&_nc_ht=scontent.fnak3-1.jpg

Woman tries to buy 100 cucumbers

Mum, 49, slams Lidl for 'barring' her from buying 100 cucumbers for juice business as supermarkets ration fruit and veg

If she is buying veg for her juice business then why isn't she going to the wholesale market? not a great way of maximising profits.
Edit: on the other hand, all the papers have given her thousands of pounds of free advertising, so perhaps she is smart after all.
I know several places here, when they run out of something during the day, they'll just raid the supermarket rather than say an item or series of items on the menu isn't/are not available.

Tomato’s, cucumbers etc are summer veg so I’d hardly think they’d be missed by the majority who I would think are eating soups & stews at this time of year?

Me and my partner eat salad all year round. In fact, almost every day either as an accompaniment or a main course. After all, the house is heated so we don't need to eat hot food to stay warm. Similarly, we don't really eat soups or stews more in winter.

I find salad veg & especially tomatoes are much nicer in summer. I also find in season vegetables to be more affordable when feeding 4-6 people.

I find salad veg & especially tomatoes are much nicer in summer. I also find in season vegetables to be more affordable when feeding 4-6 people.

It helps that Australia has such a wide range of climates. Much is in season for much longer... just change state/territory and problem solved... but we did notice yesterday how much bigger, plumper and generally all round nicer the raspberries were that we purchased in Woolies in Bateman's Bay. Bateman's Bay is a massive greenhouses and soft fruit production area and it showed even though Canberra is less than half a days drive away and it was all under the same label.

Yes we do have much longer seasons for a lot of things, the brassicas are generally available at reasonable prices year round.

Things like asparagus, citrus, grapes and some berries are less so.

I won’t pay $4 a bunch for South American asparagus as the food miles are ridiculous. I do pick them up off the reduced shelf though as the only thing worse than asparagus traveling 20 hours by plane is that ending up in landfill.

Yes we do have much longer seasons for a lot of things, the brassicas are generally available at reasonable prices year round.

Brassicas covers a lot of plants/vegetables. Which one/ones are you referring to? Which ones grow well in Australia?

CD

Back
Top Bottom