Salad items to be rationed by 2 UK supermarkets

Brassicas covers a lot of plants/vegetables. Which one/ones are you referring to? Which ones grow well in Australia?

CD
Rocket/arugala
Cabbage galore
Sprouts
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Mustards
Canola
Bok choi/pak choy, bok choi, wong bok/any of the others (and there are loads of them here)
Kale
Rutabaga
Horseradish
Radishes/daikon
Kohlrabi
Napa
Collard greens,
mizuna,
tatsoi,

About the only one I can think of that I haven't seen which tbh is a very British thing (we used to live a few miles from the main growing area for it in the UK) is watercress.

Have to say that we also eat salad all year round. I can´t understand this strange thing about only eating salad in summer, because it´s cold. It was traditional in my family, when I was young, to have salad for "dinner" every Saturday.
Anyhow - restricting the sales of certain salad vegetables might just make people a little more creative. Perhaps it´s sort of engrained in people´s minds that salad must have lettuce, tomato and cucumber, but there are evidently a million other variants!

Have to say that we also eat salad all year round. I can´t understand this strange thing about only eating salad in summer, because it´s cold.
Its not really anything directly to do with the weather/temperature, its more about eating what's in season locally....mainly to reduce food miles and to avoid replacing food miles with high energy usage from greenhouses. I also like that it creates some variety in our menus.

We got into the habit a few years ago when we had a regular veg box delivery because the contents were always seasonal. Now we grow a lot of our veg we no longer have the veg box, but we've kept up with the seasonal eating. I'm not saying that we never have salad in the winter months... after all tomatoes and and peppers in particular are staples of many dishes year round.

Its not really anything directly to do with the weather/temperature, its more about eating what's in season locally....mainly to reduce food miles and to avoid replacing food miles with high energy usage from greenhouses. I also like that it creates some variety in our menus.

We got into the habit a few years ago when we had a regular veg box delivery because the contents were always seasonal. Now we grow a lot of our veg we no longer have the veg box, but we've kept up with the seasonal eating. I'm not saying that we never have salad in the winter months... after all tomatoes and and peppers in particular are staples of many dishes year round.

I also hate to buy food from accross the world, unless it is something that only comes from there, and then I'll buy it sparingly (see my comments about Kerrygold in the butter thread). I am fortunate that a lot of veggies sold in the US in the winter come from Mexico, and I live in Texas, so they aren't traveling that far.

CD

Many countries here in europe changed into a european market with many veggies from Netherlands, Spain, Italy, turkey and Greece. That was before I was born. Then we also trade foods with North Africa and China.

If you want to cut on the route you've to pay more money.

If you want to cut on the route you've to pay more money.

Sometimes, and sometimes not.

Shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico, which is 250 miles from me, cost double what shrimp from China cost. But besides the smaller carbon footprint, Gulf Shrimp are not farm raised in water polluted with chemicals and sewage.

On the other hand, butter from Ireland costs more than butter from the US. It is 5,000 miles by ship, train and truck for butter to get from Ireland to Dallas. It is less than 1,000 by truck for butter to get from the Midwest US to Dallas. And either way, the butter is good.

CD

In Germany you can find all kinds of veggies that are grown here, either in the organic corner of a discounter or in the organic shop. Besides of apples and potatoes we have to import everything

Shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico, which is 250 miles from me, cost double what shrimp from China cost. But besides the smaller carbon footprint, Gulf Shrimp are not farm raised in water polluted with chemicals and sewage.
Yeah, we have a similar problem with garlic. Australian grown garlic (and my area grows a lot because it's the right climate) sold loose by the weight of the bulb is $29.99 a kilo (around $20 USD). Imported from China/Spain on the other hand is in packs of 3 in a white mesh bag (not recyclable) is $3.30 for the pack ( $2.20 USD). They are not very large bulbs

I've just bought stuff from a very local grower (organic) and we met up at a local agricultural show, for $40 a kilo. I can't buy organic in the supermarket at the moment. I usually grow my own but lost a lot of the crop this year to wild birds. Her stuff comes in a proper Hessian storage bag, with loads of different varieties to try and has 20-30km transport on it. More expensive yes, kinder to the environment without a doubt and I'm supporting a local grower at the same time. She's the same lady I get the green garlic powder from.

Organic veg in the UK is at least 30% more expensive than "normal" veg. I seem to remember it was something similar in Cincinnati. In Caracas, I don´t have to worry, because everything is organic, AND we get to buy wonky veg. That is, non-Barbie veg (perfectly formed).

Cannabis.jpg

Tomatoes are plentiful here. They are flavorless water-bombs, but they are plentiful.
Amen. Hydroponic out-of-season tomatoes. Luckily we are now starting to get locally grown tomatoes and they are wonderful but only available for a short while. Then it is back to hydro tomatoes.

Amen. Hydroponic out-of-season tomatoes. Luckily we are now starting to get locally grown tomatoes and they are wonderful but only available for a short while. Then it is back to hydro tomatoes.
Reminds me of the 70s, when REAL tomatoes were only available for about 4-5 months a year. Then we had to use tinned.
I'm with you on the hydroponic tomatoes. You have to push them around your mouth for about 10 minutes until you get a "tomato flavour" :laugh:

Reminds me of the 70s, when REAL tomatoes were only available for about 4-5 months a year. Then we had to use tinned.

It is still that way where I live. Actually, I can find good, flavorful fresh tomatoes about 4-5 weeks a year. I can get decent cherry tomatoes year around from Mexico. That's all.

I cook with canned tomatoes. They taste way better.

CD

It is still that way where I live. Actually, I can find good, flavorful fresh tomatoes about 4-5 weeks a year. I can get decent cherry tomatoes year around from Mexico. That's all.
Same here, and it’s fast approaching.

Back
Top Bottom