Salade Niçoise - what is your choice of ingredients?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:55 AM
I love Salade Niçoise but I'm well aware that its not a recipe set in stone. Some include green beans and some don't. Some include potatoes (mine does). Lettuce or another type of salad leaf? Hard boiled eggs are often included but there are recipes that don't. What type of fish? Anchovies are included in mine, as is tinned tuna although some say the two should never be used together. Tomatoes seem to be a fairly standard ingredient, as do black olives and I use both.

But how do you make your Salade Niçoise?

Last edited:
Thank you @morning glory for introducing me to another new recipe idea. I will be keeping Salade Nicoise in the "secret cool impressive" section of my cookbook. I have a cook-off coming up in a month and I think I will throw this dish into the mix.

I'm surprised you don't know it already - but perhaps its better known in Europe than the USA?

37240-albums1042-picture6589.jpg

Oh, I forgot, sliced radishes and new/young potatoes preferably. If we use tinned tuna, I use some of the oil to make the dressing.

Wow, it's been a while since we had this. Think we need to revisit.

Last edited:
View attachment 28063 Oh, I forgot, sliced radishes and new/young potatoes preferably. If we use tinned tuna, I use some of the oil to make the dressing.

Its a while since I made one too but there is a challenge on two other websites featuring salad which is what made me think of it. What kind of dressing do you use?

View attachment 28063
Oh, I forgot, sliced radishes and new/young potatoes preferably. If we use tinned tuna, I use some of the oil to make the dressing.

Great photo. All of sudden, I am hungry. Question though, is this recipe (pictured) designed to serve one or designed as a plate to serve several people?

@TodayInTheKitchen , Nicoise Salad is a meal salad, not a side salad, not sure if that was clear or not after looking at your ? Again.
Thank you for clearing that up. My upcoming cooking challenge asks us to produce several recipes in order to create a whole meal. Maybe I will make a miniature version of Nicoise Salad. That is to say, the recipe has great eye-appeal. I have a whole month to think about it.

What is this challenge?
Every July 4th (USA Holiday), several of us gather and have a "cook-off". We choose two people and they compete to create food for the whole group. Traditionally, people celebrate July 4th with a big grill out. We (my friends) skip the grill and challenge ourselves to come up with festive food in the kitchen. One interesting feature of this challenge is that the two competitors are using one kitchen, one oven, one stovetop. Another interesting feature is that one competitor is female and the other is male. (Man versus Woman kinda thing) In the end, we all have a lot of fun. BTW - The winner gets to wash all the dishes! :p:

We (my friends) skip the grill and challenge ourselves to come up with festive food in the kitchen. One interesting feature of this challenge is that the two competitors are using one kitchen, one oven, one stovetop. Another interesting feature is that one competitor is female and the other is male. (Man versus Woman kinda thing)

What fun!

The winner gets to wash all the dishes!

How does the winner get decided?

Back
Top Bottom