Salads

I finally got around to making fruit salad - creamy fruit salad.

full.jpg

But, I had it with whipped topping ...

full.jpg

When fruit salad is made, there may be some 8 to 10 servings and left over salad is inevitable. It can later be used for desserts, say, over ice cream, or in dessert cups, etc.

Fruit salads are great!

Side salads here are some kind of lettuce, usually a bagged mix of leaf lettuces, red and green, with sliced mushrooms, cucumber, thinly sliced red onion and tomatoes. We'll occasionally make the old steakhouse standard of iceberg wedge with bleu cheese dressing. Oh, arugula salad with thinly sliced red onions and vinaigrette.

Meals salads are Cobb, which I've been wanting. Nicoise, which will be made soon with some of the fresh tuna loin we got recently. Rusty Pelican salad, which is a red leaf lettuce salad with shrimp, mushrooms, tomatoes and hard boiled eggs with a homemade honey mustard dressing. Spinach, mushroom and HB eggs with a hot bacon dressing. Chef salad with our favorite deli meats and cheese plus HB eggs, mushrooms, cukes, tomatoes. California chicken salad. Chicken cesar.

Craig used to make a lobster salad with a shaped pasta, Florida lobster, celery, onions, dressing of salt, pepper, mayo and milk. I think there was something else, but he can't remember and I never made it.

I make a macaroni salad using the recipe from the U.S. brand red, white and blue box (can't remember brand name but it's nationwide), except I use red bell peppers instead of green and I add small shrimp or chopped up larger shrimp. It's always a big hit.

My grandmother, mother and aunts made a fruit salad always at christmas that used a can of fruit cocktail, yes I know but that was their base, then added red seeded grapes (before they grew seedless), orange segments and juice, apple slices, maraschino cherries, a little bit of sugar, refrigerated for a few hours or overnight, and then bananas slices added in right before serving so they didn't brown. I have tried on and off for years to get it right and can't, it's just never as good. There were never leftovers. It was usually served alongside coconut cake.

How about different and simple ? Cukes.

Take cukes, prrobaby a whole one, the seedless ones are a bit bbetter. Peel it and then score it with a fork lengthwise. Yjen slice, fairly thin. Chop up some onions, maybe a fourth of the amount of cuke you got. Get a container.

Layer them in. onion then cukes then salt then sour cream. Next, onion them cukes then salt then sour cream. continue until supply is exhausted.

Put in sealed container and in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.

We used to get this at Grandma's with Sunday dinner. With the spuds, roast, caarrots and whateever, you got a bit of on the plate. There was usually more if you wanted. I have seen people lap this up ater everyone went to the basement for smoke or to play pinochle with Grampa. He smoked the cigars. It didn't bother me, and even if it did that Man did more for me to grow up than anyone else, including my own Father.

I was the youngest wo could paly and I always wound up Grampa's patner, and nobody else wanted to be because he was just that good."How come you threw an aceout on the third trick ? You know he was out of aces and you had tens".
YIKES !

The game plays like spades but it has tricks instead o books. So the third trick, when there are, hmm, 24 I think. Yeah, has to be because there are 96 cards. we always played double deck but we palyed auction freezout which is exceptionally um,, PITA. but you are expected to remember it when playing with Grampa.

But Grampa was a trip.

Many people would say "That ain't no salad" and I coud not really disagree too much., It is but it is so simple that, well, you know.

T

How about different and simple ? Cukes.

Take cukes, prrobaby a whole one, the seedless ones are a bit bbetter. Peel it and then score it with a fork lengthwise. Yjen slice, fairly thin. Chop up some onions, maybe a fourth of the amount of cuke you got. Get a container.

Layer them in. onion then cukes then salt then sour cream. Next, onion them cukes then salt then sour cream. continue until supply is exhausted.

Put in sealed container and in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.

We used to get this at Grandma's with Sunday dinner. With the spuds, roast, caarrots and whateever, you got a bit of on the plate. There was usually more if you wanted. I have seen people lap this up ater everyone went to the basement for smoke or to play pinochle with Grampa. He smoked the cigars. It didn't bother me, and even if it did that Man did more for me to grow up than anyone else, including my own Father.

I was the youngest wo could paly and I always wound up Grampa's patner, and nobody else wanted to be because he was just that good."How come you threw an aceout on the third trick ? You know he was out of aces and you had tens".
YIKES !

The game plays like spades but it has tricks instead o books. So the third trick, when there are, hmm, 24 I think. Yeah, has to be because there are 96 cards. we always played double deck but we palyed auction freezout which is exceptionally um,, PITA. but you are expected to remember it when playing with Grampa.

But Grampa was a trip.

Many people would say "That ain't no salad" and I coud not really disagree too much., It is but it is so simple that, well, you know.

T

A photo would tell us more about it.

I make it probably once a summer. It's good, and makes you feel like you're eating at a family reunion. :)

I have three cukes in the fridge right now (MrsT bought them at Sam's Club), so maybe I should mix some up tomorrow, actually.

"A photo would tell us more about it."

It is just all white. I can probaably do a photo because I am about to make it soon, like today maybe. Still it is just all white,

T

Back
Top Bottom