Recipe Salame di Cioccolato with Cranberry and Amaretto

Flawed

Local time
3:06 PM
Website
www.thecraftcookhouse.com
SALAME DI CIOCCOLATO (CHOCOLATE SALAMI) with Cranberries and Amaretto
This is a decadent desert and biscuit log that is incredibly easy and allows for plenty of customisation with other flavourings. I originally created this recipe specifically for the Cooking Bites Dark Chocolate challenge given I don't do 'puddings' and mainly do charcuterie. So made sense for me to enter a type of salami right 🤪🤓?

IMG_5652.jpg
9E138B20-467C-4C2B-B801-BEC52125AD7D.JPG

To ramp up the decadence a bit I've added dried cranberries soaked in Amaretto (a sweet flavoured liqueur that uses apricot kernels, almonds and peach stones (all high in benzaldehyde) to create an almond flavour) - it's gorgeous over ice! You can use any biscuits you want but I opted for a 50/50 mix of Amaretti biscuits and Almond Cantuccini biscuits. The base recipe lends itself to lots of additions with dried fruits, nuts, and biscuits types. (I did a version with popping candy that went down a storm with the kids)

Prep time - 10 Minutes
Cooling time - 3-4 hours

INGREDIENTS

• 200g dark chocolate (anything >70%)
  • 150g softened butter
  • 300g dry biscuits (My mix is 150g Almond Cantuccini and 150g Amaretti)
  • 2 eggs
  • 100g sugar
  • Small handful/small cup of dried cranberries (optional to soak these in Amaretto for an hour before)
  • Amaretto Liqueur
  • Icing suger for dusting
  • Baking parchment paper and silver/tin foil

METHOD

1. Break up the biscuits into decent chunks. Don't use a blender or be tempted to bash them up in a bad - we don't want loads of crumbs. We good sized chunks.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (in a bowl over near boiling water) and set aside.
3. Now in a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar so you have a soft mix.
4. Add the eggs and mix thoroughly.
5. Now add the melted chocolate slowly to the mix and stir through.
6. Now add the broken biscuits and cranberries. Optional here to add any liqueur - I use a dash or 2 of Amaretto, but you can use rum or brandy or your spirit of choice. Mix through well being careful not to break the biscuits.
7. Pour out on the baking paper and start to roll it to give the cylindrical shape with a diameter of 2.5"-3" (6-8cm) and twist the ends to stop the mixture from shifting. Don't worry if its not perfectly round at this stage.
8. Once in rough desired shape, wrap in tin foil. At this point you will have more purchase and ability shape, tighten, and round the salami.
9. Pop in the fridge till set firm - which takes around 3-4 hours.
10. You can unwrap and serve as is, but I like to dust some ice sugar all over. As well as adding a light sweetness to the flavour profile this does 2 things. Firstly it makes it easier to handle as the heat from your hands swiftly melt the chocolate surface giving you brown finger tips ; and secondly it makes it look like the mould on a salami.
11. Slice prior to eating - at least 1/2" (2cm) thickness.

This recipe source can also be found on my website too : The Craft Cookhouse - Chocolate Salami

Excellent!!!

We think alike. I did my dark chocolate pizza because I don't normally do sweets. Your chocolate salami looks awesome -- very much like a salami. Makes my chocolate pizza look weak, in comparison.

Bravo!

BTW, one of the few things a microwave oven is good for is melting chocolate, so people who don't want to do the bain-marie (double boiler) can use a microwave and get good results.

CD

Last edited:
I do believe I've identified a kindred spirit in originality with cooking creativity. :okay:

SALAME DI CIOCCOLATO (CHOCOLATE SALAMI) with Cranberries and Amaretto
This is a decadent desert and biscuit log that is incredibly easy and allows for plenty of customisation with other flavourings. I originally created this recipe specifically for the Cooking Bites Dark Chocolate challenge given I don't do 'puddings' and mainly do charcuterie. So made sense for me to enter a type of salami right 🤪🤓?

View attachment 66141View attachment 66143

To ramp up the decadence a bit I've added dried cranberries soaked in Amaretto (a sweet flavoured liqueur that uses apricot kernels, almonds and peach stones (all high in benzaldehyde) to create an almond flavour) - it's gorgeous over ice! You can use any biscuits you want but I opted for a 50/50 mix of Amaretti biscuits and Almond Cantuccini biscuits. The base recipe lends itself to lots of additions with dried fruits, nuts, and biscuits types. (I did a version with popping candy that went down a storm with the kids)

Prep time - 10 Minutes
Cooling time - 3-4 hours

INGREDIENTS

• 200g dark chocolate (anything >70%)
  • 150g softened butter
  • 300g dry biscuits (My mix is 150g Almond Cantuccini and 150g Amaretti)
  • 2 eggs
  • 100g sugar
  • Small handful/small cup of dried cranberries (optional to soak these in Amaretto for an hour before)
  • Amaretto Liqueur
  • Icing suger for dusting
  • Baking parchment paper and silver/tin foil

METHOD

1. Break up the biscuits into decent chunks. Don't use a blender or be tempted to bash them up in a bad - we don't want loads of crumbs. We good sized chunks.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (in a bowl over near boiling water) and set aside.
3. Now in a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar so you have a soft mix.
4. Add the eggs and mix thoroughly.
5. Now add the melted chocolate slowly to the mix and stir through.
6. Now add the broken biscuits and cranberries. Optional here to add any liqueur - I use a dash or 2 of Amaretto, but you can use rum or brandy or your spirit of choice. Mix through well being careful not to break the biscuits.
7. Pour out on the baking paper and start to roll it to give the cylindrical shape with a diameter of 2.5"-3" (6-8cm) and twist the ends to stop the mixture from shifting. Don't worry if its not perfectly round at this stage.
8. Once in rough desired shape, wrap in tin foil. At this point you will have more purchase and ability shape, tighten, and round the salami.
9. Pop in the fridge till set firm - which takes around 3-4 hours.
10. You can unwrap and serve as is, but I like to dust some ice sugar all over. As well as adding a light sweetness to the flavour profile this does 2 things. Firstly it makes it easier to handle as the heat from your hands swiftly melt the chocolate surface giving you brown finger tips ; and secondly it makes it look like the mould on a salami.
11. Slice prior to eating - at least 1/2" (2cm) thickness.

This recipe source can also be found on my website too : The Craft Cookhouse - Chocolate Salami

Oh looks great! And I definitely love the idea to add dried cranberries soaked in Amaretto di Saronno which I often use and drink.
I am also used to soak fresh fruit in Amaretto.

Well done!

Well, wow. Absolutely gorgeous and ridiculously clever, too. The powdered sugar on the exterior is a brilliant touch, as well as the instruction to keep the biscuit chunks intact: these simulate the elements that make it look like a dark salami. Would you say it eats like a brownie? I am already imagining making it and enjoying a slice (or 5) with a cup of coffee.

I love your site. There’s extra background on this recipe there, as well as a wealth of information about charcuterie.

You can add it to your Signature in your profile (not sure why signatures don’t show up when I’m using my phone to browse, though).

I love your site. There’s extra background on this recipe there, as well as a wealth of information about charcuterie.

You can add it to your Signature in your profile (not sure why signatures don’t show up when I’m using my phone to browse, though).

I don't know what medtran49 will do, but when I judged the last challenge, I did not look at any videos, since most entrants don't have the ability to make and post videos on private websites or YouTube. I wanted to keep things even and fair. I figured I could always watch the video AFTER making my choice of winner.

CD

On my iPhone, signatures don't show up in portrait, but as soon as I rotate my phone to landscape...there they are (along with a bunch of other stuff)!

I don't know what medtran49 will do, but when I judged the last challenge, I did not look at any videos, since most entrants don't have the ability to make and post videos on private websites or YouTube. I wanted to keep things even and fair. I figured I could always watch the video AFTER making my choice of winner.

CD
Yes you are correct but I didn't do a video. I did list the ingredients and do step by step process and photos in case anyone wanted to make it - which is kind of the point I thought? The fact I then posted it also on my own website is kinda irrelevant - i do different type of content there - more explanatory about history or choices or why I did things (more blog/magazine content) - which I feel is not the right fit for the content here which is more instant forum based and feedback/discussion.

Yes you are correct but I didn't do a video. I did list the ingredients and do step by step process and photos in case anyone wanted to make it - which is kind of the point I thought? The fact I then posted it also on my own website is kinda irrelevant - i do different type of content there - more explanatory about history or choices or why I did things (more blog/magazine content) - which I feel is not the right fit for the content here which is more instant forum based and feedback/discussion.

I wasn't complaining about members like yourself who contribute a lot to the forum posting links to videos. Not at all. I just mentioned that I didn't look at them while I was judging a challenge so I wouldn't be influenced by a video.

Congratulations again!

CD

Back
Top Bottom